Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to disagree. If I loan you a share and you use it to short then
1. I cannot sell it before I demand its return from you via brokerage and you buy it back and return it. That is one of the risks of loaning out shares, the delay in responding to market conditions
2. The shorting system does increase trading volume but not by increasing the share count
3. You can argue that naked shorting increase share count but illegal. It would be like stating counterfeiting money increases money supply.
I can claim to own the share just like I can include a personal loan of cash in my list of assets. I cannot go to the store and spend that loaned out cash. That loan did not increase the money supply the way a deposit at the bank would either

Are you allowed to lend shares, and then after SP increase my 5-10$, set a high limit order to Sell? Wouldn't that cause Short to be forced to Cover ? Or once shares borrowed can you not sell at all?

When I used to lend out my shares, I had to recall them before I could sell them, or use them to sell covered calls. Only took a day or two.

So if there is a short squeeze and you are in the mood to sell some of your shares, you might not be able to do it immediately?

At Interactivebrokers you may sell or set what limits you prefer any time:
Are there any restrictions placed upon the sale of securities which have been lent through the Stock Yield Enhancement Program?
Loaned shares may be sold at any time, without restriction. The shares do not need to be returned in time to settle your sale of the share and proceeds from the sale are credited to the client’s account on the normal settlement date. In addition, the loan will be terminated on the open of the business day following the security sale date.
Stock Yield Enhancement Program FAQs | IB Knowledge Base

At Interactivebrokers you may sell or set what limits you prefer any time:
Are there any restrictions placed upon the sale of securities which have been lent through the Stock Yield Enhancement Program?
Loaned shares may be sold at any time, without restriction. The shares do not need to be returned in time to settle your sale of the share and proceeds from the sale are credited to the client’s account on the normal settlement date. In addition, the loan will be terminated on the open of the business day following the security sale date.
Stock Yield Enhancement Program FAQs | IB Knowledge Base
How do you like interactive brokers? I have considered making a move but don’t know anyone with first hand experience. Can you negotiate fees?

How do you like interactive brokers? I have considered making a move but don’t know anyone with first hand experience. Can you negotiate fees?
I like it. It's like Walmart, as in it's pretty cheap. Not sure there's a point to negotiating at a Walmart.

I count out brokerages like Robinhood. If you're not paying, you're the product.

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
No, you can't negotiate fees, but they are the cheapest I have foud. About 1$ a trade. You may look up theie prices at interactivebrokers.com. They are tough on the requirement of opening an account, so look up the minimums required too.

So it turns out that I need to have a margin account for my broker to lend out my shares. I should ask my broker if I can switch to a margin account just so this happens even though I don't trade on margin nor do I ever plan to.
But if you have a margin account at most brokers, they will lend the shares but pocket the interest... I don't see why this would be advantageous to you.

Option_Sniper on Twitter
Will there be China news tonight?

Chinese President Xi might announce these tonight at Boao. You can search it online. Some are based on google translate.

1. China will accelerate the opening up of the financial sector to the outside world, relax or cancel restrictions on foreign-capital shares of banks, securities, funds, futures, and financial asset management companies.

2. The manufacturing industry is opening up to the outside world and be inline with international trading rules and regulations. Open market access for general manufacturing, and expansion of telecommunications, medical care, education, and other areas open.

3. It will expand the degree of opening up in some areas of the service industry, adopt a national treatment (treat foreign businesses as same as domestic businesses) plus negative list management model.

4. Will increase the protection of property rights, especially intellectual property rights;

5. It will expand imports, gradually reduce tariffs on imported cars.

6. Will have more policy support in the direction of the new economic investment and financing;

7. Will reduce domestic corporate tax burden, especially high-end manufacturing tax, including semiconductors, integrated circuits.

I will clarify, these are not the result of recent trade pressure from the US. China expressed the intention to do the above things quite a few months ago. I believe they genuinely planed to do it . Their new guy He Liu who is in charge of economy said they would change so much in 2018 that it will surprise a lot of people... Unfortunetly now they can't just kneel down and do it when someone slap on their face.

The only item that is slightly negative is #5. US wants them immediately drop the 25% car tariff. Regardless, I think in the end they will allow Tesla to open factory based on #2 and #3.

If Tesla is allowed to open a factory in Shanghai with 100% ownership and no forced technology transfers, you can expect the incumbent automakers who already have factories in China to cry foul and demand ownership of their factories back.

IOW I just don't see it happening anytime soon because China doesn't want to relinquish 50% control and technology transfers from the incumbent automakers who already operate in China, many of which also manufacture electric cars.

But if you have a margin account at most brokers, they will lend the shares but pocket the interest... I don't see why this would be advantageous to you.
Really? So what's even the point of letting your broker do that then if there's no benefit to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.