Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see swelling as much of an issue, pouch and prismatic packs are all packed together tightly with no where to go, unlike cylindrical cells which count on the can to hold them together.
Tell that to Boeing, who had the entire 787 fleet grounded for a few months by their pouch batteries.

On another subject, I just realized that all the announcements from VW group, Mercedes, BMW, etc, are all claiming that they are spending lots of money to order batteries or cells from outside suppliers. But there are few outside suppliers, so they're actually competing for supplies. What happens when there's competition for supplies? The price goes up! What happens when you build your own Gigafactory? The price comes down! This is just another factor that the incumbent's world view has to change completely before they can even start to hold their own against Tesla.

In the PR war that is waging around Tesla, a common tactic of the detractors is to deride Tesla and Musk admirers as “fanboys” or a “cult”. Characterizations like these are a big tell of where the author is coming from.

For any consumer product company, building a vast network of ardent admirers is a huge asset. It doesn’t appear on the balance sheet, but it needs to be accounted for in valuing Tesla going forward.

There will be competing EVs in the future. Many of them from historically bigger brands than Tesla. But Tesla admirers (many of whom are younger and represent the next generation of auto consumers) are going to buy a Tesla. Every consumer product company would kill for a “cult” like that.

The thing is we (humanity) either move to a sustainable clean energy future ...or kill ourselves.
It really is that simple. The time frame may be up for debate but the outcome is not.

Dirty energy resources that raise global temperatures inevitably lead to more conflict.

The Tesla I bought cost more that the last four cars I bought combined.
If it helps in some small way push us to getting off the oil machine it is a bargain.

You're implying that the problem was the format. I believe the problem was in manufacturing and the usage profile. Also using an outdated chemistry. And they were prismatic not pouch.
Veering steadily off topic, ISTR that Elon offered his advice to Boeing on battery tech but was rejected.
And shortly before an inevitable crash, may I just remark that we too flew in a Boeing 787, except it was announced as a model "hate-undred". All went well however.

HELLO....

We have just made our first additions to TSLA since (read on) -

Bought in at $247.77 net, picking up a fair chunk in that we added to our positions by 16%.

The last time we added any Tesla was Sept 16, 2016, when we increased holdings by about 30% with that once-in-a-lifetime "free" arbitrage: buying SCTY at under $17 to give us TSLA at $155 - at a time the stock was about $250.

Hi Audubon, a friend of mine asked me 2 questions about scty that I did not have an answer for immediately. I thought you might be the person better suited for this as you mentioned that your purchase of scty stock during the Tesla acquisition benefited your holdings.

Here are the questions:

1. What is the amount of scty notes that Tesla has to pay for in the futur, and do you know the due date?

2. When will you see the scty financials start to benefit Tesla?

Hi Audubon, a friend of mine asked me 2 questions about scty that I did not have an answer for immediately. I thought you might be the person better suited for this as you mentioned that your purchase of scty stock during the Tesla acquisition benefited your holdings.

Here are the questions:

1. What is the amount of scty notes that Tesla has to pay for in the futur, and do you know the due date?

2. When will you see the scty financials start to benefit Tesla?
1 all set out in note 13 to Tesla' 10-k
2 a cold day in hell

BREAKING NEWS

Tesla’s stock cannot support future secondary offerings. Pay no attention to the 30 million shares that have been borrowed and sold, filling buy orders with shares that don’t really exist, artificially lowering the price of TSLA.

*waves hand*

These are not the TSLA shares you are looking for. Trust us, Tesla’s stock can’t handle dilution and shares being made out of thin air.

HAHAHAHAHA.

BREAKING NEWS

Tesla’s stock cannot support future secondary offerings. Pay no attention to the 30 million shares that have been borrowed and sold, filling buy orders with shares that don’t really exist, artificially lowering the price of TSLA.

*waves hand*

These are not the TSLA shares you are looking for. Trust us, Tesla’s stock can’t handle dilution and shares being made out of thin air.

HAHAHAHAHA.

Money obtained from subsequent offerings belongs to all shareholders. The pie grows; each shareholder owns a slice that is just as large as before, but a smaller percentage of the pie than previously. It would be a wash if the the new money were simply locked away in a safe. But if it is invested in rapid growth to disrupt long established capital intensive industries, then it can be a huge benefit making dilution a misleading term.

Tesla likely will have to keep raising capital to catch up to the lead of a century by its competitors. Wall Street realizes that the investments are wise and will keep supporting Tesla. Expect Tesla to eventually dominate its industries and no longer need to raise capital. Instead shareholders will be able to retire comfortably with Tesla dividends.

Money obtained from subsequent offerings belongs to all shareholders. The pie grows; each shareholder owns a slice that is just as large as before, but a smaller percentage of the pie than previously. It would be a wash if the the new money were simply locked away in a safe. But if it is invested in rapid growth to disrupt long established capital intensive industries, then it can be a huge benefit making dilution a misleading term.

Tesla likely will have to keep raising capital to catch up to the lead of a century by its competitors. Wall Street realizes that the investments are wise and will keep supporting Tesla. Expect Tesla to eventually dominate its industries and no longer need to raise capital. Instead shareholders will be able to retire comfortably with Tesla dividends.

They should have raised capitol 3 months ago when the SP was over $340. The model y Reveal and pre orders would have Justified a few more billion for a new gigafactory

Last edited:
Reactions: Curt Renz
Expect Tesla to eventually dominate its industries and no longer need to raise capital. Instead shareholders will be able to retire comfortably with Tesla dividends.

The first part of your post (that I removed from the quote) makes perfect sense, I have no problem with that.
However, reading your last sentence made my spidey sense tingling. Do you really believe, that Tesla will start paying dividends with Elon Musk at the helm ? The way I see him is that he has such grand visions for the future that he will always find new areas to invest in, expanding the business to cover more and more markets. Started with cars, then stationary battery storage, then solar roofs, Tesla network (uber-like service with self-driving cars), Semi trucks, coffee shops at superchargers, insurance, ...

Do you think this growth will stop and Tesla starts paying out the profits as dividends ?
I could only see that happening after Elon retires on Mars and enjoys the magnificent view of Olympus Mons from his backyard.

Do you think this growth will stop and Tesla starts paying out the profits as dividends ?
I could only see that happening after Elon retires on Mars and enjoys the magnificent view of Olympus Mons from his backyard.

It does not matter.
If there are no dividends, the rate of growth will allowing selling a piddling of shares to use as dividends. ;-)

The first part of your post (that I removed from the quote) makes perfect sense, I have no problem with that.
However, reading your last sentence made my spidey sense tingling. Do you really believe, that Tesla will start paying dividends with Elon Musk at the helm ? The way I see him is that he has such grand visions for the future that he will always find new areas to invest in, expanding the business to cover more and more markets. Started with cars, then stationary battery storage, then solar roofs, Tesla network (uber-like service with self-driving cars), Semi trucks, coffee shops at superchargers, insurance, ...

Warren Buffert’s Berkshire Hathaway has never paid a dividend. Warren believes he can invest this money more wisely than his shareholders.
If Elon can achieve 50% growth with TSLA’s free cash then I don’t want dividends. I would rather have the share price appreciation.

What's the saying.. bulls get fed, bears get fed and trolls get slaughtered. I think that's it. Curt 'the troll slaughterer' Renz. Kinda of catchy.

I never thought Steve Jobs would allow Apple to pay dividends, but once the cash starts rolling in there was only so many companies they could buy that made sense. Few seem to see what I really believe is coming. Tesla may never sell more cars that Toyota or GM, but it will sell most of the profitable cars on the market. Profits will then become unavoidable and then we will see the trolls switch from saying it can't be done to, it can't be done much longer. I guess Tesla could buy bankwupt GM and cannibalize their empty plants for building products people actually want. That isn't going to happen tomorrow, maybe not for 5 years, but it is coming.

Edit: I forgot to add that I am an anonymous idiot posting on the Internet so please trade accordingly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.