Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2018-7-20_21-8-53.png

That isn't exactly the case. For the Model 3, Tesla builds in batches and pairs vehicles with buyers later in the process. Build-to-order implies that a vehicle is built specifically for you from start to finish and the process doesn't start until you submit your order. S & X may be different.

I may be wrong, but I think S&X is also batch. Or at least a mix of batch and built to order.
I believe the vast bulk of S&X sales have from the beginning been built-to-order. There are also "inventory" cars that get sold off after a brief life as service loaners or test drives. Then there's the odd third case, like my car, by luck I phoned with some questions on a Sunday morning, and the Owner Advisor mentioned "well, we do have a car on the lot right now, we've been too busy to prep it for a loaner/test drive, so it's available". After I jumped at that, I found out three others tried to buy it after me. There may be other odd cases like that. I think those scenarios will make up close to 100% of the sales (with no explicit proof, but just from all the various reading/conversations over the years).

The Model 3 sales strategy was brilliant I think - make batches of certain colours and ship them wherever, then hope someone orders that same configuration. With so few options right now, that seems like excellent odds on selling damn near every one. Then gradually shift to build-to-order, which we received a hint by Tesla removing the reservation requirement for North America.

That brings up another point -- Tesla has never had "salespeople" by title, they're more "advisors" etc. ICE dealers, on the other hand, require "salespeople" because, their whole business is take batches from the manufacturer, then lie to persuade customers that certain models and options are absolutely vital to their life's well-being. I think ICE dealers have to have more "hope someone buys that configuration" than Tesla, 420,000 reservations with no advertising covers a LOT of cars.

[EDIT: re off topic and mod warning: sorry! posted this before I got to the mod's "suggestion"]

All the local car dealers too. As Bjorn would say sheeeet.

Your running a car factory. Two constraints

1) Cars must be painted in batches of 500 per color
2) Cars must be shipped to stores in batches of 7

Under these conditions you have two choices: A) Give customers the choice of one color per store, or 2) Cache cars

Personally I would restrict Michigan buyers to only red Model 3s. But that is just me.
Henry Ford made one color of Model T each year, and changed color once a year.

So the moderator requests that posts not related to short term TLSA share price action be placed in the general thread, yet the hijacking continues.

Sorry Curt, I think I'm one of the main perpetrators :(

I'll be very honest that I really only inhabit this thread on TMC, don't have tome for others. I'm far too busy bear-hunting on Twitter these days... Along with quite a few TMC-ers as of the last two days, I'm pleased to say :D

I'll try to be less verbose here - I've been posting like it was going out of fashion...

Soz!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: wipster
Seems to be gone - perhaps it was a parody account all this time, to draw in the bears and then give them some crap? Looked pretty convincing to me!

Just to say that I tried Dan's Twitter directly from the article and it's the same, so must be correct. Maybe it was reported by a load of $TSLAQ bears and ended up being suspended pending investigation? That's my best guess.

Me? I just went to the website, dude! Don't shoot the messenger, especially when he has absolutely no clue what the thing means...

Max Pain:
Max pain, or the max pain price, is the strike price with the most open contract puts and calls - and the price at which the stock would cause financial losses for the largest number of option holders at expiration.

The assumption is that market makers may push the stock price towards that to maximize their profits from calls sold.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-“max-pain”-in-options-trading is also an interesting read.

This probably just means the shorts are going to lose a lot out on options if the price doesnt go down to unrealistic levels, maybe market makers are not the strongest force here because of the $11b TSLA stock sold short in addition to option plays they may have done.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
One of these day's I'll actually go out and buy one of these cheaper EVs that everyone keep talking about. Maybe a Ford Fake, or a Chevy Phantom. I have also heard good things about the Honda Vaporware and the BMW IDK-LOL-ROFL.

OK, maybe it doesn't quality as a car in Denver, but the Renault Zoe is an actual BEV. I was driving down a major street in Munich, and this Zoe coming from a small side road was quick enough to not slow down for the yield sign and instead just do the 90 degree right turn and be out of my way while I was still considering whether to honk or step on the brake.

Probably a French driver.

FWIW, strike date 06/21/2019 max pain is $520 while just 03/15/2019 it is $185. Go figure.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you look at Max Pain that far out what you're actually seeing is the proportion of calls to puts and the average strike price for that aggregate of options expiring on that day.

Whenever you guys talk about Max Pain I like to listen to this while I read your posts

Max Pain:

The assumption is that market makers may push the stock price towards that to maximize their profits from calls sold.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-“max-pain”-in-options-trading is also an interesting read.

This probably just means the shorts are going to lose a lot out on options if the price doesnt go down to unrealistic levels, maybe market makers are not the strongest force here because of the $11b TSLA stock sold short in addition to option plays they may have done.

Sorry, I said it wrong, what I meant to say was "Don't shoot the messenger, especially when he has absolutely no clue what the thing doesn't mean..."

Is there really any truth to the continued notion that there are so called "market makers" who can actually (substantially) influence a stock's price? The last time I checked the market was made up of buyers and sellers, and every time I place an order it fills based on the best available offer from the opposite party. So how could someone completing order requests affect the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.