Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok then, please explain to us how there can't be a squeeze? 35m shares to cover... no way!

~35M shares to cover. Ballpark of 60M shares not taking part in TSLAP. Largely run by people who aren't idiots and would prefer to sell to shorts at $421 rather than the Saudis at $420, and will gladly recall early and / or not vote (on a likely foregone conclusion) if that's what it takes to make more money off their shares.

Reactions: neroden
I feel more than ever he is trying to generate a short squeeze (and not in a bluffing kind of way but a legitimate there're no shares to buy to cover because no one is selling kind of way. - EM would probably use...
Bad karma. Don't believe he will. I think he commented previously he doesn't enjoy people suffering, therefore warning to exit.

Ok then, please explain to us how there can't be a squeeze? 35m shares to cover... no way!
1m just disappeared @$350.
What he's saying is if they have several months to do it, then no pressure to do it on the same day for all.

Ihor is saying there should be plenty of shares to cover with, but what if people just dont sell till 420 if the going private deal starts to appear certain
There are many of us here who bought b/c of $420 promise as part of their short term strategy.

Many longs here have said they will roll bunch of shares into private, but will sell other buckets b/c they need liquidity. This will be one of the sources for sales at $421 to cover shorts who wait till the last minute, but Ihor is implying they will be exiting gradually and we shouldn't see too many hold on to their positions till the last minute.

Doesn't make sense what Ihor is saying here.

This is the worst case scenario for every short seller out there. A highly likely buyout offer for one of the most shortest stock ever. And, at the same time, an increasing investor base...

Even without a deal, we are just where we were after Q2 numbers: 345$/share and producing roughly 5500 M3 per week with positive cash flow and earnings in reach for every coming quarter.

This trading feels like the usual shenanigans. I don't necessarily understand it, but we saw today the usual morning dip, what looked like capping at $354 during the afternoon, and aggressive selling just prior to close. Overall daily volume is pretty average. Typically you would conclude that the market believes there is absolutely no chance this buyout is happening. However, it's TSLA, so there is more to it than that.

Reactions: neroden
Mod: posts about the morals of Saudi Arabia versus other countries belong in this other thread:
Saudi Arabia (out of Market Action)
I'm getting tired of moving them. If they appear here, or in General, I will begin deleting them. In this thread you can talk about potential buyers, and can even mention KSA PIF, that's fine.
I really mean it. --ggr.

Something doesn't compute: for example the 2019 CV notes of $920m represent (920m/360=) 2.55m shares exposure, which could be hedged with 25k call options.

When TSLA was down to around $250 then GS could have bought the hedges as DOTM call options for less than $5m?

What are the chances that 4 years after the CV note hedge was sold to Tesla and the price has dipped deeply twice, GS is still exposed and is fighting a rising tide, instead of just flipping their position and rising with the tide?

That doesn't seem to make sense to me, unless GS's short exposure is a lot more than the 2-3m shares from all the CV note hedges ...

Do we have any ideas/rumors about how the 35m short positions are distributed amongst the players?

Because someone is fighting the stock price like there was no tomorrow, and is doing it competently.

There are a lot of moving parts which partly explains why those focused on NASDAQ's semi-monthly reports of short interest may be too reliant on that metric in isolation. IMO, trying to discern how the "players" around the notes' arbitraging and hedging are dynamically positioning is impossible--even the terms of the hedges and warrants are confidential. WhaleWisdom used to include Puts, Calls, and CVs (with no dates) positions in its quarterly reporting but not everything but the current quarter seems to be behind a pay wall.

The key to me is being aware of the first seven words in this response.

it’s a joke. everyone has something to say about how incompetent em is, can’t wait for this to go private so all these ‘experts’ shut tf up. agonizingly tired of it.

and today more price action meant to scare everyone. just another pathetic manipulated joke of market action. the more a deal looks imminent, the more resources they throw at striking the fear of god into everyone.
how low does it have to go to get anyone here to sell? i’m not selling. i think a deal will happen.

if a deal doesn’t happen, and elon “loses his credibility” and the stock takesa dump, i’m still not selling. they’re on the verge of crushing it. nobody even knows anything about the model 3 yet. barely anyone has seen or driven it. we know everything about it. we are not ‘common’ in this case. the product is exceptional! so, bring it on.

There was a promise?

"Am considering taking Tesla private at $420."
Just read how many have said here that private is a done deal.

And most think that price will go up anyway after Q3/Q4 results, so likely the same price anyway within the same timeframe as the private deal, so just no so much risk overall for ~6mo and you have time to consider whether to roll into private.

Reactions: TintDepot.com
Status
Not open for further replies.