Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYT didn't release nor transcripts, neither videos

From the moment I first read the initial article, this stuck out to me. They aren’t withholding the transcript or videos to protect sources or anything, so the only reason I can see for them to do so would be to be able to take individual quotes out of context and skew the message in a particular direction.

You know, since 2016, I’ve been one of the people critical of Trump for his attacks on the press and use of terms like “fake news” for the likes of CNN/WP/NYT. After the last few months seeing their coverage of Tesla/Musk(and knowing enough details from other sources to know where they’re being misleading), I’m not so sure anymore.

I found this encouraging as I see a very busy factory that overall is quite clean and many parts are moving around. No turmoil just a busy place. I wish he toured the Model 3 assembly area.
If it was really so clean then why didn't they pan down to show the floors? Bet there was raw sewage all over the place. Damn robots relieving themselves everywhere. o_O

I don't think so. Speaking as someone very familiar with engineers, Elon always seemed transparent to me. Oversharing if anything. Everybody acting in good faith has confirmed this for years.

"There was no camera off, camera on mode."
Those two MKBHD Elon video's are must watch video's if you are feeling any doubt about the future of Tesla.

Full disclosure I have no doubt!

A call for longs:

This is it guys. It’s countdown to take private. Shorts are going all out and assaulting us on every street corner. It’s time to fight back, hit them hard on social media and grind them down, another 5-6 weeks and numbers will be out. Those numbers will speak for themselves, but right now your account could use a little boast, fight back..
Oh I totally agree
The sheer amount of irrational hostility on $TWTR by $TSLA shorts is unprecedented who are doing recurrent victory laps like there’s o tomorrow
I’m usually a pretty laid back non confrontational kinda guy but I had no choice but to block a bunch of them

I dunno, most likely it's just wishful thinking on my part to imagine there is method to this madness and I am just seeing patterns in the clouds. On the other hand... all this is just a tiny bit odd.

Obviously he set this up to expose the methods used by traditional media to twist the truth. Give NYT ammo to run a hit piece depicting an emotional wreck of a man and then do a video interview acting like a rational, thoughtful, in control human being. People believe their own eyes and question the NYT spin.
(.5/sarcasm tag. I don't really think it was masterminded this way but it could be the long term result).

I keep thinking Elon's decision to give an hour-long interview to the Times, which he knew very well couldn't be trusted, in which he perplexingly proceeds to share his deepest emotions, is really difficult to explain. Around the same time, he "goes to YouTube" to give a different kind of interview to someone he trusts, whom he also treats with a personal tour of the factory. He knows that those who read the Times and those who watch MKBHD for the most part do not overlap. It's like he's deliberately talking to two different audiences, delivering two different messages at the same time: to the press, it's "I haven't slept in a month, I eat Ambien for breakfast, and I tweet while I drive", while to the cognoscenti it's "we're doing all these complicated things, and it's hard, but it's also really cool and we're kinda succeeding". He surely knows which of the two will drive the stock price the next day. I mean, if he wanted the price to be lower, for whatever reasons, who's going to go to court to say "Elon Musk manipulated the market by tricking us into manipulating our readers?" Who's going to say he lied, when he didn't? The man is, after all, really sleeping at the factory, when he sleeps at all.

I dunno, most likely it's just wishful thinking on my part to imagine there is method to this madness and I am just seeing patterns in the clouds. On the other hand... all this is just a tiny bit odd.

I concur, even more so because the YouTube interview with Marcus was done on 8/15, two days before he called the NYT on 8/17... did something happen in between? Strange times...

No worries. A person familiar with their thinking will offer up a statement.

i’ve never heard such an idiotic thing.

“a person familiar with the board’s thinking”

what?...tf does that mean?

so somebody that knows every board member,
or is really good friends with the chattiest board member after they’ve had one cocktail too many
...or a board member.

...or the nyt and the gaggle of geese that collaborated on that article are collectively full of sh!t

enough already. and can someone please slap bob lutz. he’s like a demented slobbering fool, worse than lou holtz towards the end when he was on college gameday..sorry ND fans ;)

i grew up in PA so i’m a penn st fan (i got my own problems with that one!, sheesh)

Last edited:
Obviously he set this up to expose the methods used by traditional media to twist the truth. Give NYT ammo to run a hit piece depicting an emotional wreck of a man and then do a video interview acting like a rational, thoughtful, in control human being. People believe their own eyes and question the NYT spin.
(.5/sarcasm tag. I don't really think it was masterminded this way but it could be the long term result).
He's teared up a bunch of times about not seeing his kids as much as he wanted. He's also opened up about his personal life and talked about its hell all the time. This is nothing new.

Nyt just sensationalized it for the bigger audience with a nefarious spin.

i’ve never heard such an idiotic thing.

“a person familiar with the board’s thinking”

what?...tf does that mean?

so somebody that knows every board member,
or is really good friends with the chattiest board member after they’ve had one cocktail too many
...or a board member.

...or the nyt and the gaggle of geese that collaborated on that article are collectively full of sh!t

enough already. and can someone please slap bob lutz. he’s like a demented slobbering fool, worse than lou holtz towards the end when he was on college gameday..sorry ND fans ;)

Actually, there's an even worse possibility: "someone who's served on a different company's board, and thus 'knows what it's like' to be in that situation"

Also: "Person who used to work with the board in some capacity but has since been fired and now has an axe to grind"

Endless possibilities, really. Sources familiar with the author's thinking describe this construct as hackery.

Actually, there's an even worse possibility: "someone who's served on a different company's board, and thus 'knows what it's like' to be in that situation"

Also: "Person who used to work with the board in some capacity but has since been fired and now has an axe to grind"

Endless possibilities, really. Sources familiar with the author's thinking describe this construct as hackery.

The person familiar with the person who tops up their water glasses during meetings. Mark my words.

Does that mean I would have to create social media accounts? Can't we just wait 5-6 weeks and have the short burn of the century play out? The lower the stock price the more energy is stored in the spring, right? (so longs as short interest stays high).

With regard to "hitting them hard" on social media, makes me think of a Jay-Z lyric: "A wise man once told me; don't argue with a fool, 'cause from a distance people can't tell who's who".

That’s if some of us here don’t get a heart attack from the roller coaster ride; erratic dips, low drops, head snapping pullbacks. Who knows what else can cause sentiments to shift in Sept., its best to take action now before a lower low sets in that may cause more longs to jump ship.

It’s not so much talking sense, more like talking smack to grind down the enemy, it’s the same tactic they’re using to push us down.

If we take the $420 number for granted, it could be less if SP is depressed. Frankly, I’d rather not wait and see, but acting now is best because that $300 line has to hold.

From the moment I first read the initial article, this stuck out to me. They aren’t withholding the transcript or videos to protect sources or anything, so the only reason I can see for them to do so would be to be able to take individual quotes out of context and skew the message in a particular direction.

You know, since 2016, I’ve been one of the people critical of Trump for his attacks on the press and use of terms like “fake news” for the likes of CNN/WP/NYT. After the last few months seeing their coverage of Tesla/Musk(and knowing enough details from other sources to know where they’re being misleading), I’m not so sure anymore.

Good. You’re learning. In my experience, if you know a lot about some news story, chances are very good that the story gets it wrong. So, that would imply that most news stories are wrong.

I just saw the follow-up video of EM and MKBHD walking the Tesla general assembly area. Interesting video. Tesla prides itself on building the safest cars in the world. I would expect the same level of safety to be applied to Tesla's workers and it's practices in the factory. I was overall impressed at the level of safety being applied in the factory, even down to the cleanliness seen throughout the tour. I got a very different impression of safety being applied in the factory than what I gotten from the media over the past few years. Shame on the click-bait *journalists* that push the daily Tesla FUD.

Oh, and BTW, EM looked just fine in that video despite all the business and personal pressure he was dealing with at the time.

Walk through Tesla’s Fremont factory with Elon Musk and MKBHD

If we take the $420 number for granted, it could be less if SP is depressed. Frankly, I’d rather not wait and see, but acting now is best because that $300 line has to hold.

I think Musk AND Tesla would have a real hard time doing something less than $420 at this point without some serious legal impact.

I think Musk AND Tesla would have a real hard time doing something less than $420 at this point without some serious legal impact.

I agree. But you can’t discount the fact that Elon is already legally in a bind, and that will make things very unpredictable. The fact that we don’t know what’s going on is enough for shorts to capitalize. Their tactics are working, choose to wait and see at our own peril, or don’t take chances and push back.

My honest feeling is that we do a lot of whining and crying on this forum. It does absolutely zero good to whine and cry here. Do it elsewhere so it’ll spread. The drop is partly us to blame, we just don’t fight as hard. Shorts on the other hand are using a lot of creativity to win. It’s physcological as much as it is anything else, this is evident in Jesse’s explanation on how shorts function.

You're a thoughtful guy and your analysis is generally spot on.

In this instant; don't overthink it. There's likely no mastermind 3D chess going on here. A deeply dishonest and malevolent New York Times is more than enough to explain the whole thing.

Elon had faith in the NYT as a major, "objective", news outlet, dedicated to bringing forth objective truth. He might have been misled in to thinking this from recent events regarding Trump etc. However he was likely duped and I'd suspect he won't ever do an interview with the Times ever again. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, can't... can't fool me again.
I would find it hard to believe Elon sees them this way. One word - Broder

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.