Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the interview Cathy talks about Ark’s $4000 years out price target for Tesla. AND Cathy says she is writing a letter to Elon and the board making her case in two ways for the $4,000 valuation. She is looking to send the letter within a day or so. Hope it will be released for the public. Cathy does not want Ark left out of a private Tesla due to limits on what her funds can hold. Making the letter public would seem to help her goal.

fwiw, Cathy said the $4000 future target implies a $2000 current value based on a 15% discount rate.

I watched ARK's past interviews. They are always super bullish with the reasons many bulls would agree. But they never talked about the potential risk. When I apply a larger risk discount factor, the $420 price seems reasonable to both sellers and buyers.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
That's a very interesting interview. Thanks for posting. One snippet that caught me by surprise is that she thinks if Tesla de-lists, it will have a provide private equity with a lot more detailed financial information (monthly financials) that could make raising capital more problematic, though she's clearly not in favour of it being taken private.
She is a bull and is in the same team with Chanos, just another color.

Musk has 2 private companies, one of them has significant experience with rising money and is very good with hiding financial information from public scrutiny. It looks like she suspects Musk is still clueless and doens't know what he is doing. Really, you never know how stupid some people can be.

Just a single data point. A friend of mine posted this on Facebook:

“Our very special day today...We took delivery of ... a Performance Model 3 with the white interior and all the bells and whistles...

Ordered August 4, website said October - December delivery, got a call that the car was built on August 7, received the VIN on August 10, could have delivered as early as August 15, but I wasn't quite ready...”

Seems that either production is meeting demand, or they are getting really good at prioritizing expensive builds.
Or somebody cancelled or postponed his delivery. It happens all the time.

I would bet UBS is threatening to sue Munro so that they can spin his report to suit them without a countervailing narrative with the same data -- lately UBS has been all negative with their use of the Munro teardown report.

Let's just put the Munro tear-down profitability data out here, before it disappears:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiVHAhLU0AEdhca.jpg:large

Munro calculated rather substantial profit margins, even on the $35k version. I can see why some companies would want to pay good money to make that table disappear.

Last edited:
WOW. what is in the letter ARK is sending Tesla today or tomorrow?
$2,000/share valuation as of today........
a pleasant 5 minutes
The reason for the high valuation is they see automation happening sooner than most and that it will be a huge market ($2T in 2030). I've been following them for the last 3 years. They were also much more bullish on EV sales than most analysts (and remain so - expecting 17 million unit sales by 2022) and were widely mocked by bears at the time they originally made the call.

Just a single data point. A friend of mine posted this on Facebook:

“Our very special day today...We took delivery of ... a Performance Model 3 with the white interior and all the bells and whistles...

Ordered August 4, website said October - December delivery, got a call that the car was built on August 7, received the VIN on August 10, could have delivered as early as August 15, but I wasn't quite ready...”

Seems that either production is meeting demand, or they are getting really good at prioritizing expensive builds.

Would be great if joe could get his!!!!

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11 and gillfoto
You only need to be that paranoid about leaks if you're hiding something. Also the harder you try to stop leaks, the more they happen... look at the Whitehouse!

Tesla should just get on with it... this storm will be over someday but there's a long long slog to come... fretting day to day will give you a heart attack before they get there.

Nonsense. Every company with this many employees and this much business is going to have thousands of things that people can turn into a scandal-of-the-day if outsiders have access to literally all information from the company, and the motive to do so.

"Windshield wipers? Hmm, no problems.
Side mirrors? Hmm, no problems.
Headlights? Hmm, no problems.
... 20 parts later...
Taillights? AHA! They've had a 50% rejection rate on taillights!"

(Pens up doom-and-gloom article about Tesla's endless trouble with taillights)

Next day...

"Paint shop... no conduct issues.
GA3... no conduct issues.
GA4... no conduct issues.
... many sections later ...
AHA! Two people in a parts warehouse were caught playing football during working hours and accidentally broke a windshield!"

(Pens doom-and-gloom article about Tesla's lackadaisical attitude toward employee misbehavior and destruction of property)

Repeat ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Latest Elon tweet.

tweet.png

I watched ARK's past interviews. They are always super bullish with the reasons many bulls would agree. But they never talked about the potential risk. When I apply a larger risk discount factor, the $420 price seems reasonable to both sellers and buyers.

Yeah. Their valuation is heavily impacted by vehicle as a service (autonomous robo taxis). I agree this has great potential, but how it unfolds re pace, breadth of adoption and Tesla market share is a big question... even if Tesla has the best tech.

What’s more, when Cathy talks about 80% margins, I wonder if she prices the service as Elon has said he envisions... cost of a bus ride. Maybe she does, will be interesting to see her models.

fwiw, my conservative valuation at $500+ today (based on ~$1200-1800 in 8 years) doesn’t require me to rely on Tesla Network inclusion to justify holding here... so, I’ve thus far not taken on trying to value this currently extremely wide range of potential outcomes.

FUD machine cranking up this morning: according to Businesses Insider who apparently for some undisclosed reason have access to Tesla's internal documents only 14% of Model 3s produced in June didn't need any rework. (No I'm not going to grant them a link)

And the average car required 37 minutes of "repair". That doesn't seem like much was wrong with them. Certainly no body work or repainting.

Last edited:
In case your history challenged this is what a Phoenician is:

a member of a Semitic people inhabiting ancient Phoenicia and its colonies. The Phoenicians prospered from trade and manufacturing until the capital, Tyre, was sacked by Alexander the Great in 332 BC.

In the interview Cathy talks about Ark’s $4000 years out price target for Tesla. AND Cathy says she is writing a letter to Elon and the board making her case by showing two different Ark models for the $4,000 valuation. She is looking to send the letter within a day or so. Hope it will be released for the public. Cathy does not want Ark left out of a private Tesla due to limits on what her funds can hold. Making the letter public would seem to help her goal.

fwiw, Cathy said the $4000 future target implies a $2000 current value based on a 15% discount rate.
Interesting. Her ETF cannot go with private shares. So her best play right now is to talk up Tesla valuation. I think this is the best play for all longs who cannot go private. Talk it up now. Either the price goes high enough to halt the transaction or at least you get a better exit price for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.