Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow week, 3 day weekend on tap. Big boys away playing with their big boy toys.

Speaking of things being gone, does anyone know where the market action thread has gone? Asking for a friend...

A source familiar with the thinking of a certain moderator says ‘Boring, boneheaded question, let’s go to You Tube.’

This was written right after my post. If because of me, I am truly sorry.

it wasn’t you. between the model 3, the further polarization of elon/tsla on wall st and media, the forum has exploded. impossible to control. inevitable really. we need to be accountable to self moderate. mkt action means topics that affect stock price. much can be argued to impact stock but there are also specific threads for topics, as many users point out to new users. mods have lives too.

This post will probably earn a number of disagrees, but that's fine. I expect it.

TSLA has been around long enough that anyone buying the stock has had ample time and information to determine whether it is a company that has long term value. Some buy it for growth and some buy to support the mission.

Elon Musk is Tesla and the analysis has to include him for the long term. One can certainly believe that what he does or how he acts is inappropriate, but voicing complaints here won't accomplish anything, especially in this sort of environment.
How much has the complaining done to change Trump's behavior? I know it isn't a choice between the two, but who has been more beneficial to the world? I would think that as long as Trump is in office, we should ignore what Elon says, especially for those who support Trump.

The best advice I can offer is the same thing that Peter Lynch said, which is "buy what you like."
That thought inspired me to buy TSLA after my first test drive early in 2013 and I have been rewarded for that investment. Since essentially all my investment has been funneled into TSLA since 2014, I certainly have been disappointed along the way for various reasons, but I still hold on. While losing millions because of market reaction to actions and "promises" and tweets, I also made millions because of Elon. In spite of what Elon tweets, it is safe to assume that I am still millions ahead.

Some may have sold years ago, and no doubt there are a few who did. I could have traded it as I have in the past with other stocks, but trading TSLA is not so easy, with either stocks or options. I choose to go with the team that has produced results.

The choices are between accepting the package of TSLA/Elon or selling. One could reduce holdings if they fear the impact of Elon's tweets, but I'm not going to do that. Nobody is going to get Elon to change. My holdings, while relatively significant compared to most, is still insignificant compared to the big boys, and I don't think any of them have had much influence on what Elon does. Fortunately what Elon says has to this point, has only affected the stock and had little to no significant bearing on his success in achieving his goals. Some may disagree, but that's fine. I believe he is driven and can tolerate the distractions and even utilize them as motivation and determination.

There is no current choice about the TSLA/Musk package; it is what it is. Whining about Musk won't get you anywhere.
Reading the same sort of complaints over and over again is no more interesting than reading the same, tired, old
narrative of the bears and shorts.

Now for those who have any creativity, and feel a need to express your frustration, I suggest you attempt to do it with a joke, because humor makes most things more palatable.

TLDR; Musk would prefer you sell and move on if you don't care for his style. Remember, he has the funding.

In other news, I test drove a P3D today. It is a technological tour de force, a design marvel and an absolute visceral thrill. It makes my BMW 335is feel like a dinosaur that doesn't see the meteor coming.
Haha, did you really? I did too this morning. The test drive convinced me to keep my P3D order and trade my S in. It was fun with the S, but I think the P3D will up the fun game pretty considerably.

Fred at Electrek has injected some fear about Model 3 production by writing about Bloomberg Model 3 tracker not so reliable, kind of agree for weekly production data but strongly disagree about total production, Bloomberg tracker may be off slightly on total production but not by huge margin.

Bloomberg tracker showing Total Model 3 production so far 78,219.

Model 3 production for previous quarters

222.....Q 3 2017
1542...Q 4 2017
2270...Q 1 2018
18449...Q 2 2018

So If Bloomberg tracker is accurate Q 3 production as of now would be 55736. So this tell me someone going to be wrong by big margin. I own enough share but nice option play may be in horizon.

A minor error in your post. Model 3 Q2 2018 production is 28578 not 18449.

Bloomberg tracker estimates so far Tesla produced 37668 Model 3s in Q3. I guess the actual number is lower than that.

I really didn't expect to read such a clear analysis of Tesla on a car salesmen blog!

I mean:

"Only time will tell. Business plans and net worth for R&D-based companies are always predictions and guesses, not precise. When you miss estimates, Wall Street will kill you, but it also has a short memory and, should Tesla succeed, it will be forgiven."
No FUD that I could sense, just clear, neutral analysis, with an almost friendly attitude towards Tesla.

This is how WSJ, NYT, FT, Bloomberg and Reuters articles should be like - instead we get them from Tesla arch-enemies: car dealerships.

The irony ...

This post will probably earn a number of disagrees, but that's fine. I expect it.

TSLA has been around long enough that anyone buying the stock has had ample time and information to determine whether it is a company that has long term value. Some buy it for growth and some buy to support the mission.

Elon Musk is Tesla and the analysis has to include him for the long term. One can certainly believe that what he does or how he acts is inappropriate, but voicing complaints here won't accomplish anything, especially in this sort of environment.
How much has the complaining done to change Trump's behavior? I know it isn't a choice between the two, but who has been more beneficial to the world? I would think that as long as Trump is in office, we should ignore what Elon says, especially for those who support Trump.

The best advice I can offer is the same thing that Peter Lynch said, which is "buy what you like."
That thought inspired me to buy TSLA after my first test drive early in 2013 and I have been rewarded for that investment. Since essentially all my investment has been funneled into TSLA since 2014, I certainly have been disappointed along the way for various reasons, but I still hold on. While losing millions because of market reaction to actions and "promises" and tweets, I also made millions because of Elon. In spite of what Elon tweets, it is safe to assume that I am still millions ahead.

Some may have sold years ago, and no doubt there are a few who did. I could have traded it as I have in the past with other stocks, but trading TSLA is not so easy, with either stocks or options. I choose to go with the team that has produced results.

The choices are between accepting the package of TSLA/Elon or selling. One could reduce holdings if they fear the impact of Elon's tweets, but I'm not going to do that. Nobody is going to get Elon to change. My holdings, while relatively significant compared to most, is still insignificant compared to the big boys, and I don't think any of them have had much influence on what Elon does. Fortunately what Elon says has to this point, has only affected the stock and had little to no significant bearing on his success in achieving his goals. Some may disagree, but that's fine. I believe he is driven and can tolerate the distractions and even utilize them as motivation and determination.

There is no current choice about the TSLA/Musk package; it is what it is. Whining about Musk won't get you anywhere.
Reading the same sort of complaints over and over again is no more interesting than reading the same, tired, old
narrative of the bears and shorts.

Now for those who have any creativity, and feel a need to express your frustration, I suggest you attempt to do it with a joke, because humor makes most things more palatable.

TLDR; Musk would prefer you sell and move on if you don't care for his style. Remember, he has the funding.

I looked at some stocks that performed extremely well in the past: Google, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Costco...

They all have one thing in common: people like their products/services. People continue to buy more of their products, use their services.

In this regard, Tesla really stands out. The Model 3 is by far the best product I ever bought in my life. After several months, my children still want to drive the car just for fun. We absolutely love it.

Tesla has everything that I like as a long term investment: a mission that makes sense; huge addressable markets; high gross margin; a very talented team; a relatively small market cap... This is definitely a great long term investment, just don't be surprised by large swings, be ready to take advantage when the market gives you great buying opportunities. Don't use margin.

I really didn't expect to read such a clear analysis of Tesla on a car salesmen blog!

I mean:

"Only time will tell. Business plans and net worth for R&D-based companies are always predictions and guesses, not precise. When you miss estimates, Wall Street will kill you, but it also has a short memory and, should Tesla succeed, it will be forgiven."
No FUD that I could sense, just clear, neutral analysis, with an almost friendly attitude towards Tesla.

This is how WSJ, NYT, FT, Bloomberg and Reuters articles should be like - instead we get them from Tesla arch-enemies: car dealerships.

The irony ...

The problem with this analysis is many fold.

1. Amazon had specific business plan and knows and tightly control how much to lose on each new product it launches. From day one there was a loss target which Amazon stuck to. That is why it never broke the company. This financial discipline doesn’t exist in Tesla.

2. Tesla sales is above BMW combined in US as example- so what. BMW has over 10% profit margin on the car it sells. You don’t have that with TSLA. You can’t continue to sell promises and not turn a profit. Look what happened to Global Foundries.

3. The biggest problem is a lot of underlying time bomb that hasn’t exploded. All of the autopilot 2.0 HW cars on the road- Elon has only budgeted a mere $3k to upgrade to full autonomous. I wish Tesla the very best. But this is a time bomb that is just one class action lawsuit away to break Tesla back.

Last edited:
The problem with this analysis is many fold.

Yeah, the main problem shorts have with that analysis is that it effectively deconstructs core elements of any rational bear/short thesis, and comes from a source not easily discredited as "Tesla fanboys".

I'd urge everyone to read that article.

My message to parasitic short sellers: only 4.5 weeks left until the Q3 deliveries letter, and only 8.5 weeks left until the Q3 quarterly report.
Tick-tock.

Last edited:
I looked at some stocks that performed extremely well in the past: Google, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Costco...

They all have one thing in common: people like their products/services. People continue to buy more of their products, use their services.

In this regard, Tesla really stands out. The Model 3 is by far the best product I ever bought in my life. After several months, my children still want to drive the car just for fun. We absolutely love it.

Tesla has everything that I like as a long term investment: a mission that makes sense; huge addressable markets; high gross margin; a very talented team; a relatively small market cap... This is definitely a great long term investment, just don't be surprised by large swings, be ready to take advantage when the market gives you great buying opportunities. Don't use margin.

Fundamentally having worked in the top three companies mentioned. The approach to design, solve a problem, and sell to customer is very different.

None of the top three would over promise and under deliver. Waymo was 9 years in the making without a market when it started. iPhone was 2 years in the making without a smart phone market. None of them was rushed to market.

I will say this. Tesla wouldn’t have reached it height right now without Elon. He single handily created this market. That deserves to be recognized. But along the way- ego came into play.

Everyday there is story claiming sabotage. Seriously- if Tesla production system is really easily hacked- may be Elon should have invested in a actual reliable manufacturing system instead designing its own.

Mobileeye divorce is another farce. The Eyeq3 chips was never designed to be used in the way that Tesla is using it. Mobileye is way too expensive, and moving toward own chip makes sense. But decision was made in haste and instead of a smooth transition, money were spent to recreate similar chip which is 2 generation behind.

Is things like this, I wouldn’t invest or buy a Tesla.

The biggest problem is a lot of underlying time bomb that has exploded. All of the autopilot 2.0 HW cars on the road- Elon has only budgeted a mere $3k to upgrade to full autonomous. I wish Tesla the very best. But this is a time bomb that is just one class action lawsuit away to break Tesla back
I dough not think you know what you are talking about.
FSD post purchase upgrade cost is now 5k, 4k for those grandfathered, and 3k with initial order. That's on top of the cost for EAP (5k or 6k).
New HW is a module made by Tesla with Tesla processor that plugs right into the same spot as the original (~1 hour labor for mobile service). Did you concider the new module may even represent a cost savings on current production?

The only ticking time bomb is the line item of deferred revenue for already purchased FSD/EAP features and the rapidly growing fleet of owners who will pay to upgrade when the SW is released.

That shall be a green market day indeed.

In the words of the London Underground:
Mind the gap

Status
Not open for further replies.