Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Musk mental instability is mostly what's hurting the stock I think. All was going well after Q2 earnings until all of Musk's comments. That narrative of mental issues has gained ALOT of traction and he himself isn't helping it much yet. Musk really shouldn't be sending out emails or anything on these bizarre issues. Ppl will find or share it as Tesla is under heavy attack.

While you're probably right about market sentiment, does it actually matter -- at all -- to the company if Mr. Musk loses a libel lawsuit or has to take an enforced vacation? My assessment: no.

Mechanics Liens are not just accounting expressions and they are not used by lenders! They are used by contractors and subs to secure payment. Lenders are alarmed by Mechanics Liens because they take priority of lien and threaten lenders’ secured rights. Most arise and are satisfied in the normal course of business, but a lender will not lend, refinance, modify or amend with ML’s present because they can’t perfect their lien. Obviously when a company is seeking financing for expansion, ML’s can have a negative impact on the process.

Kate
Yeah, so it's a good thing Tesla isn't seeking financing for expansion. For very understandable reasons, Musk and the Board decided not to seek further financing for expansion, except for local Chinese loans (which aren't affected).

I had to finally sign up here to be able to put a bunch of people on Ignore.... the forum which I've been reading for a couple of years now has become - almost - unreadable without "Ignore"....

Long-term long. Buy+Hold. Don't care about volatility, fully believe in this company.

Have a sell-order in for my total TSLA holdings @ €3000 ;)
3000 Euro? That is approx. 4'000 usd which would value the company at close to 700 billion (like Amazon). No car company ever exceeded 200B, Toyota currently valued at 204B...

Pleasw think again. .

Do you see stock price? Investors have lost trust in Elon completely.
If course that will influence stock price as it shows that he can't stick to his promises. I do really hope for all of us that this was not the last time to see Tesla over 300.
I will make a point not made often.

Investors -- long-term investors -- actually have almost no influence on the stock price.

Investors make a very small number of trades. Most days, most investors don't trade any stock at all.

So they have a very small effect on the stock price. An accumulating investor can provide a "floor" or an unloading investor can provide a "ceiling", but on the whole, investors don't have any effect on the stock price in the short term.

Short-term stock prices are driven by those who are making bids and asks all the time: traders and speculators and market makers.

InsideEVs is now out with their estimates, which are more conservative than Good Car Bad Car. I've updated my chart to reflect InsideEVs' estimates, and have added a brand total US marketshare number. If InsideEVs' #s are correct, Tesla is now selling more vehicles in the US than Audi or Mercedes-Benz. BMW is ahead by only about 500 vehicles and will likely fall in Sept.

The interesting thing that you didn't mention is that it appears that the Model 3 has increased the US Premium mid-sized sedan market segment by about 49%. So it is either pulling in buyers from other market segments, it is pulling in people that weren't buying cars at all, or there were a lot of people holding off and waiting for the Model 3.

Whoops, I was looking at the wrong month. So in looking at August the segment has increased by almost 50% since June.

Hog Negativity Index is at a 9. It’s almost impossible to find a positive article on Tesla right now.

That being said, this quarter is really a make-or-break quarter. They’re producing high quantities of 3/S/X, and deliveries should be as high as production. They must show profitability, or things will get really ugly. My 2 cents.
In general, I agree with you. However, by my calculations, as long as they're more-or-less breakeven in Q3 and profitable in Q4, Tesla as a company will be fine.

This implies that a -$0.01 loss in Q3 would probably cause the stock to go down but then rebound monumentally when fourth quarter numbers come out. Just a guess....

Reactions: gene
3000 Euro? That is approx. 4'000 usd which would value the company at close to 700 billion (like Amazon). No car company ever exceeded 200B, Toyota currently valued at 204B...

Pleasw think again. .

Just as well Tesla are more than a car company. And the car portion of what they do is done in a unique way, with unique profitability potential. From what I've seen so far, you're too short-sighted and impatient to be a Tesla investor. Time for you to sell up and move on I'd say.

Reactions: SpaceCash

Investors -- long-term investors -- actually have almost no influence on the stock price.

Investors make a very small number of trades. Most days, most investors don't trade any stock at all.

So they have a very small effect on the stock price. An accumulating investor can provide a "floor" or an unloading investor can provide a "ceiling", but on the whole, investors don't have any effect on the stock price in the short term.

Short-term stock prices are driven by those who are making bids and asks all the time: traders and speculators and market makers.

So with little means to affect price by small traders
next best thing with all the knives falling
would be to toss a few shorts under them
slice the jugular and score a bull's eye

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
Interestingly enough the borrow rate at IB for TSLA is the lowest it has been since March. I would guesstimate another 1.5 million shares were covered since the last report. A declining price and declining short interest seems unusual for TSLA. I would speculate current price action may be driven more by scared longs and/or some big holder (Saudi Arabia?) selling than by shorts. Obviously this could imply further downside since shorts have plenty of ammunition to continue driving the price down but stock prices are impossible for me to predict.
I agree with your analysis: either one big holder is selling or a lot of shallow long holders are selling (no way to tell which). (A "shallow" long in my opinion is one who thinks that the kerfuffle about Musk's mental state has any real impact on Tesla's profitability, which I don't think it does.)

I get this, but do you understand the concept of Valuation? There are industries valued at 100x price earnings ratio while others are valued at 5x price earnings. What I want to tell you is that the Price Earnings Ratio can in the long term fluctuate strongly for a company. A company might be even be less worth wenn it is more successful due to lower PE ratios. Therefore, the valuation of a company and in this case Tesla is only driven by speculators and market makers. Tesla can be worth 500 usd or 150 usd and be exactly the same company, only with a different valuation ratio. Currently they don't even produce earnings but when they do people will see that the PE ratio is rather high then low and therefore stockprice rather valued too high.

Interestingly enough the borrow rate at IB for TSLA is the lowest it has been since March. I would guesstimate another 1.5 million shares were covered since the last report. A declining price and declining short interest seems unusual for TSLA. I would speculate current price action may be driven more by scared longs and/or some big holder (Saudi Arabia?) selling than by shorts. Obviously this could imply further downside since shorts have plenty of ammunition to continue driving the price down but stock prices are impossible for me to predict.

Also, for more data (from yesterday) on the shorts, Ihor updated his analysis of short interest: Ihor Dusaniwsky on Twitter

I get this, but do you understand the concept of Valuation? There are industries valued at 100x price earnings ratio while others are valued at 5x price earnings. What I want to tell you is that the Price Earnings Ratio can in the long term fluctuate strongly for a company. A company might be even be less worth wenn it is more successful due to lower PE ratios. Therefore, the valuation of a company and in this case Tesla is only driven by speculators and market makers. Tesla can be worth 500 usd or 150 usd and be exactly the same company, only with a different valuation ratio. Currently they don't even produce earnings but when they do people will see that the PE ratio is rather high then low and therefore stockprice rather valued too high.
*Today*, this is one of the silliest bearish theses I've seen. I've got models for Tesla's long-term earnings, and if I apply plausible low-ish long-term P/E ratios (like 10), the low end of my model says it's worth $280-$320 (this assumes the Semi and Solar Roof will do OK, but that things like the Roadster or Pickup or Model Y will never happen due to lack of financing or something).

I should say that the bearish overvaluation thesis made sense at $380, no sense at $280

Do you see stock price? Investors have lost trust in Elon completely.
If course that will influence stock price as it shows that he can't stick to his promises. I do really hope for all of us that this was not the last time to see Tesla over 300.
did you see the volume? One institutional investor is selling part of his stock, the rest is usual AI bot thing pushing price down by small chunks. Apparently there is somebody ready to spend more than a 1mln(?) per day on Tesla to push down stock price and to keep indicator in red.
There will be at least one usual hard spike and fall this year.

August 2018 – 20,450 Tesla Model 3 sold, according to estimates from "Good and Bad car". For the first month, Tesla is in the top 10 for cars sold in US, including ICE.

Miguel PeraIv0 on Twitter
#15 best selling vehicle (car or light truck) in the US. And they count the entire "F-series" as one vehicle, which is sort of cheating (an F-150 is quite different from an F-450 -- though I think they exclude the 550 and 650 and 750, since they're considered commercial vehicles).

Status
Not open for further replies.