Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deliveries (InsideEVs number is US only) lag production (Musk's 5k comment). Additionally, cars are being ordered with higher content (more margin). This should result in good Q3 numbers to support the SP...

People also said that about the 11K in transit at the end of Q2. If there were 11K in transit, why have there only been 14K and 17K sold the last 2 months. I was expecting higher numbers.

Reactions: Sabre Man
Sep 2018 -1.77 -0.63 -2.9

Current street consensus for TSLA EPS.

Doesn’t seem to hard to beat consensus.

Fire Away!
Tesla would really have to take some large, non-obvious writedowns to not beat consensus.

While Musk may be paying some personal fines, I can't see anything on the horizon which would really hammer Tesla's costs.

I'm not seeing how those are connected. Are you assuming they have 0 in transit right now? Also, AFAIK, those are US numbers only.

Firstly almost none have been shipped to Canada in the last 2 months. Secondly, I was just pointing out that if 11K were in transit at the end of Q2 and only 14K sold in the first month of Q3, it implies that not many more were built/shipped in that month. People get so defensive whenever valid points are raised. Seems the market is underwhelmed with the 17K deliveries as well.

Secondly, I was just pointing out that if 11K were in transit at the end of Q2 and only 14K sold in the first month of Q3, it implies that not many more were built/shipped in that month.

How does that imply that? You don't have the information to say that. There could be 30k in transit... There will likely never be less than 10k Model 3s in transit again. (And that number will increase as they ramp production.)

Confused. As I remember, the Ontario thing only affected people who bought a Tesla before July 11, and received it after that.

The incentive was terminated on July 11, which meant those who got the car before July 11 were eligible anyway, the wind-down did not affect those. The wind down period of 2 month was setup such that those who "ordered" a vehicle before July 11 and the vehicle was delivered and plated before Sept.10 would still be eligible. Tesla was originally excluded (unfairly) from this wind-down and they have filed a law suit for discriminatory handling and won. So the ruling of the judge affected those Model 3 purchases that were ordered prior to July 11 and delivered between July 11 and September 10, according to the Toronto Star article this number was about 600.

Tesla would really have to take some large, non-obvious writedowns to not beat consensus.

While Musk may be paying some personal fines, I can't see anything on the horizon which would really hammer Tesla's costs.

With due consideration to WS antics, Musk being fined seems as though it should be a low chance. But seeing the dog pile on him it will be interesting to see the SEC taking action here whilst ignoring all else.

Fire Away!

CNBC's Gasparino is reporting Musk has lawyered up for an expected confrontation with the SEC.
If you mean he has hired legal counsel when you say "lawyered up" then yeah, so what? That's the prudent thing to do when you are being attacked incessantly in the courts and anywhere else where people think they can take advantage of you. Smart move.

Meanwhile in relevant news, production, deliveries, satisfied customers are all on the rise. How are those legacy numbers looking?

Dan

You definitely are not alone in having options deeply red from this latest drop. This was about like a black swan event for me due to adding options when the stock was up high when I would typically never add them. Depending upon your strikes, I wouldn't say any are a lost cause yet. September monthlies (SEP21) still have 12 trading days. That's quite a bit yet. October and beyond are still totally in play. If strikes are way out of the money in SEP and OCT, you will probably lose some money there. Consider shifting a small amount to shorter term lower strike once this dip bottoms. That's what I'm looking at. I'm also shifting some to June 2019 OTM for more time safety.

yep, i’ve been working on moving contracts around for the last 8 months taking profits here and there...couple losses too.
but the screwball (basically the whole month of august) thrown at us really f’ed up my game. i mean, we expect some big league curves, but i just couldn’t hit that pitch. so i’m trying to swat fouls until i could position for a good strike again

Status
Not open for further replies.