Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've never seen a graph like this before.
View attachment 334926

Indeed that's very weird, it's consistent with a very large sell-limit order at $296, possibly iceberg/dark-liquidity, combined with another large order, which would be a buy order (executed in smaller blocks as well). The weird bit is that volume wasn't that high, which is why I think these weren't vanilla orders but automated buy and sell flows interacting.

We'll see what this is if/when the price gets to $296 again.

Could be related to Options Friday ...

Edit: I just noticed that this price action coincided with the Trump announcement, which caused heavy sell action in Dow and NASDAQ futures. So this could be an automated sell order interacting with the leak from Fred which was TSLA-positive.

Fred's Q3 production article was released about 20 minutes before the Chinese news - and the TSLA breakout was in full swing when the China-related selling started on macro markets.

100% Martian market share... :D
Joke aside, I knew several folks bought Tesla cars after they got too excited by the roadster in orbit. Some of them are trump voters.

Mars maybe too far out. But in a year or two when the BFR go to the moon, maybe flashing some Tesla logo to the cameras for the world to see. Who else can afford this kind of advertising?

I love Anderson's last comment in the interview (put in such an understated smarting intelligent British way):

"It does look for instance as though Tesla, the series 3, was the highest single revenue generating car in August. Now that seems to me to be a quite extraordinary fact. And you know I do wonder at times whether a little more of the attention ought to be on the people who are going to struggle to cope with this on the other side of it in the traditional car industry and on to the oil and gas!"

It seems like there was more to the interview after that which they chose not to publish, pity they didn't.

Negative spin already: Terms of Service Violation

I just noticed that this price action coincided with the Trump announcement, which caused heavy sell action in Dow and NASDAQ futures.

Possibly a reactionary threat by POTUS on today's news that Paul Manafort has plead guilty to 2 charges and is working with the Mueller investigation.

POTUS has implyed he is willing to damage the US economy if his position is threatened.

That depends. Consider the scenario: SP is at $500 and short interest is at 30%. The SP drops enormously to $10. Those shorts aren’t forced to buy back their shares(many would probably take profits at that point, but they don’t have to). So the short interest is still at 30%. Would a short squeeze affect them more than if it happened directly from $500?

The only thing that matters in terms of hurting a short is what price they shorted the stock at, not what the current price is.

That depends. Consider the scenario: SP is at $500 and short interest is at 30%. The SP drops enormously to $10. Those shorts aren’t forced to buy back their shares(many would probably take profits at that point, but they don’t have to). So the short interest is still at 30%. Would a short squeeze affect them more than if it happened directly from $500?

The only thing that matters in terms of hurting a short is what price they shorted the stock at, not what the current price is.

Thanks Marcus, I'm slowly getting the bigger picture.
Well, I don't really worry about the shorts since I intend to accumulate and stay long.

in a year or two when the BFR go to the moon, maybe flashing some Tesla logo to the cameras for the world to see. Who else can afford this kind of advertising?

For example by delivering the astronaut(s) to the launch pad in a Model X:
Tesla Model X will carry first astronauts flying in SpaceX’s Dragon spacecraft to launch pad

Btw, I believe the BFR Moon mission is a flyby, i.e. a highly elliptical orbit that passes close to the surface of the moon, at high speed without any contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.