Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, they probably have seen south Australia project. Who is in a better position to build massive scale solar project for power generation than Tesla and their proven scalable power packs? Possibly why they canceled the $200B planned solar project with softbank. Saudi Arabia Shelves Work on SoftBank’s $200 Billion Solar Project

They could build 40 gigafactories for $200 billion. I think this is gonna be huge for TSLA. Elon probably told MBS he could do it cheaper and include battery storage.

No, as has been said before shares in a margin account, or shares that you sign up to be included in a stock lending program. (In addition I think the margin account has to have an active balance, and they can only lend out shares valued at up to that margin balance.)
So my IB Trading Workstation app window his an indicator in the share purchasing pane saying shares are "shortable". I didn't see way to clear that flag when purchasing shares.

Their online helps says that you can opt out of their "Share Yield" program in order to prevent your shares from being lent out, however the steps in the help page don't match what I see in the app... so perhaps it's an outdated help article. I haven't had time to call them.

My shares (50 in an IRA and 37 in brokerage acct) are all fully paid for, so I assume the sign-up agreement must default to allow lending...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Ulmo
At the end of a week like this one, I find it refreshing to put the stock, Elon's tweeting, etc out of my mind and check out what actual humans are experiencing related to Tesla.

Here's today's example.

Have a good weekend, all (even the bears).

What I like best about this example is it is a Mormon family from Logan, Utah.

Not exactly Oslo or Palo Alto.

Yeah and its big numbers. There’s a pretty good chance they are working with Tesla to build GF4 in Saudi. If true this will be huge. We will find out in less than 2 weeks.

What if the Saudis agree to a $100 billion contract for solar/storage with Tesla? Hypothetically, what would this do to valuation?

:eek:

What if the Saudis agree to a $100 billion contract for solar/storage with Tesla? Hypothetically, what would this do to valuation?

Well, we would have the clear answer why Elon insists Tesla does not need more capital raise EVER.

ps: and it could be the kind of news that leads to the "short burn of the century", mind you I stopped believing that story...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SpaceCash
They could build 40 gigafactories for $200 billion. I think this is gonna be huge for TSLA. Elon probably told MBS he could do it cheaper and include battery storage.
Exactly! And this is over 12 years (2018-2030) so they are hoing to start with one and gobfrom there. Notice how the prince kept avoiding a direct answer when asked. He could have said “no not Tesla” when pushed for more tesla investment.
————————-
Bloomberg: Are you seeing some of this coming in the non-oil sector too? Because oil has been -- historically you’ve seen a lot of oil investments but the crucial thing is non-oil FDI.

MBS: We believe it’s both. We believe we will have an amazing deal in October, in two weeks from today. So it will be big numbers. It will be in FII [The Future Investment Initiative conference] and it’s far away from oil. This deal is just what’s happening in Saudi Arabia – so there is one deal in FII and there are other deals that will be announced there.

Bloomberg: Any details we can get – what industry even?

MBS: It’s far away from oil.

Bloomberg: Is it technology?

MBS: Maybe. But this is in Saudi Arabia with big numbers.

Bloomberg: Is it anything to do with cars?

MBS: We will see. You know, we are two weeks away from that date.

Bloomberg: On a separate note, we’re very interested to know whether you’ve driven a Tesla.

MBS: Actually, we, PIF invests in a lot of companies in the United States of America, especially in the stock market. And Tesla looked like a good opportunity for PIF and we bought a few shares there. We have almost 5% of the company.

Bloomberg: But have you ever driven a Tesla?

MBS: The Tesla, I never did that. I’ve seen Tesla a lot. I just rode in one with King Abdullah of Jordan. He drove it mostly in LA. But I’ve never driven a Tesla, but they say it’s extremely good.

Bloomberg: You didn’t ask him to have a go?

MBS: It didn’t come to my mind, but it’s really smooth, no noise. I believe it will be a really promising industry in the future.
Bloomberg: Do you plan to order one for yourself?

MBS: Maybe not today. Maybe tomorrow.

Bloomberg: He wants to encourage oil.

MBS: We talked about that before and we believe that the rise of electric cars will not harm oil especially for Saudi Arabia. Oil demand will continue raising until 2030 by above 1 percent, 1 to 1.5 percent, maybe more. And some believe that after 2030, it will decline. But we believe that the other side will be a lot of producers disappearing. So for example we believe that China will be decreased sharply if not disappeared after five years from today. And other countries will continue every day to disappear as countries producing oil. Nineteen years from today, Russia will have declined heavily if not disappeared with 10 million barrels. So comparing the rise of the demand for oil and the disappearing supplier, Saudi Arabia needs to supply more in the future. So we don’t believe that there is any risk in that area for Saudi Arabia. No one is talking today about planes going and flying by electricity or ships moving in the sea by electricity. Adding to that the demand coming from petrochemicals and the future of petrochemicals after 10 to 20 30 years from today.

So if you see everyone using – you have plastic in your dress, in your pen – everywhere, and it will continue growing.

Yes, and which is why I said almost the same thing myself before Elon said it, but now, message sent, and let's see if SEC can get some self-corrective action.

What is astounding is you have videos of Crammer out there blatantly instructing people to break the law by “fomenting” and not a peep or mention by anyone out there to have sec investigate.

But, yeah, let’s go after Elon for calling out the truth on twitter.

Let’s muzzle him for being ethical, cause stock is down.

We are at a point when ethical living is in short supply. When looking out for an American company making great products that are making our existence better is nonexistent.

This is the time to stand up and show your mettle. If you’re actually worth the salt your made of.

Elon must work for the protection and benefit of long term success of Tesla and its shareholders.

Kowtowing seems the easy way for us to suggest Elon act, but it’s not in anyone’s long term interest. I didn’t invest in a shill, I invested in an innovation leader that is onto to something revolutionary.

It is a posibility but won’t be all at once because they still need Aramco IPO in 2021. They could start right away with one Tesla GF though. Tesla has Solar, battery and proven top notch technology. you’ve seen how fast the SA project was completed in 100 days and fuctioning perfectly. Who else would you go with if you were Saudi?
On valuation, probably goes nuts. Maybe $500 to start? Lol

Last edited:
My take away from this is the schism that's been created between longs.

The defamation and slander were easy to brush away and debate with others before. But the twits helps cements the fact that it might be true, or at least raised enough doubt that it can no longer be defended with confidence.

If you were to debate with a short in real life now and they raise the fact that elon is unstable and points to the twits, how are you going to reply? The very fact that you long are lashing out against these so called longs is evidence that the longs have effectively been divided into 2 groups

Tesla has been succeeding based purely on word of mouth. These things affect word of mouth. Until real income comes in and real marketing with commercials can be executed this relationship will and remain important. When tesla can afford to spend on marketing, by all means disregard any need to maintain the word of mouth.

If I talk with a misinformed general public, I will try to explain elon is a mad genius who is unfairly and constantly persecuted by shorts. At the end of the day, he is just a frustrated human. Debate with a short? Are you kidding me? Only three types of tsla shorts: 1. malicious, 2. misinformed/stupid, 3. malicious and stupid. If they only short but do not create/spread lies about tsla, I have no problem with them. Either way, I won't try to persuade an anonymous online short.

honestly I vote for @neroden or @DaveT to write a long open letter to Musk publicly that covers why us longs are so disappointed in him right now. should mention the pedo stuff so. should stress Elon has a bigger mission that he endangers with twitter of all things. and also like he tells his employees he needs to ignore the noise and focus on executing day in and day out. maybe he needs to study up on how startup CEOs like Hoffman and Zuck adjusted their behavior once their companies matured.
I just read this. I actually started a series of blog posts that I hope Elon will be able to read somehow. I just posted Part 1. But I'll be working on Part 2 and 3 over the weekend. And after all the parts, I'll try to put them together into one long blog post.

I feel an urgency to help... cause things aren't pretty right now. And I think I know how all this can be fixed.

Last edited:
Did you see the part of the Bloomberg interview with the Saudi prince where the interviewer called TSLA expensive and led by an eccentric? The Saudi Prince didn't take the bait.

Bloomberg: Do you think it’s risky to invest in Tesla? It’s expensive, led by an eccentric.

MBS: The PIF has invested in Tesla and we would have a conflict of interest if I say it’s risky to invest in Tesla because PIF already owns some of the shares in Tesla.

Did you see the part of the Bloomberg interview with the Saudi prince where the interviewer called TSLA expensive and led by an eccentric? The Saudi Prince didn't take the bait.

Bloomberg: Do you think it’s risky to invest in Tesla? It’s expensive, led by an eccentric.

MBS: The PIF has invested in Tesla and we would have a conflict of interest if I say it’s risky to invest in Tesla because PIF already owns some of the shares in Tesla.
Yeah I saw, his responses to bloomberg attacks including Trump’s “Saudi wouldn’t last 2 weeks without us) are brilliant. I like the guy.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Just asking the question... If Q4 is gonna be the craziest quarter, you'd think more people would recognize that, and the price ~should~ go up in anticipation of that... But it's not...
So, just asking the question... Clearly, I'm missing something... Sorry to bug you tonight.. Take care..

well let’s go through it together to get to the bottom of it.

assume the 400k resv is both resv and orders combined at this point.

how many 3s have they delivered so far?
how many demographics have been targeted?
how many markets have been tapped?

i’m trying to understand your estimates in order to explain why your wind down has started so soon when they’ve maybe delivered 100-125k 3s so far to US and Can. do we at least agree on that?
maybe i’m missing something.

Would love to hear what y'all think of some of my most recent thoughts on Elon vs SEC. Though I don't agree with the SEC going after Elon so harshly, I also don't agree with Elon attacking and blaming the SEC, the media and shortsellers. If he doesn't stop, there's a good chance that Elon won't be CEO for much longer... and that would be a very sad outcome.

Part 1: The Turning Tide - Why the SEC is going after Elon and why he’s losing many of his most ardent fans
I disagree SEC is trying to solve any problem. They don't care some CEO is "out of control".

They charged him because some influential shorts / hedge fund managers complained to SEC. That is how stuff works on Wall St. Remember Wall St views EM as an outsider, not one of the club members.

Listen to Vox's podcast on EM. They said one of the very well known hedge fund managers (I guess) went and complained about EM to SEC after the tweet. I'll have to listen again to get the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.