Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very naive or a very uninformed POV. You are extremely incorrect and I want to point it out so others are duoed. Stock price is important for many things. Fund raising especially as you mentioned. Also alot of the regular employees have stock or options to convert as well so it affects them too. The funding raising should not be overlooked though - it's a big deal - because Tesla really need to raise money to get to the next level beyond model 3 or even to full model 3 production. A company with a high stock price has very easy access to capital
That's why some companies when the stock goes thru the roof they issue shares because it's a great time to get lots of $$$$ to expand. Long tsla via stock and options.
Price is also important because it's something that happens and is therefore news. Negative headlines affect supplier and consumer confidence. At a certain point headlines can make bankruptcy a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Below $255.

Price action is ugly, every up is a setup to a steeper down.

S3qrus1.png

Elon should really tweet that he decided to stop tweeting... Give people a reason to buy.

If people surrounding Elon isn’t able to persuade him to log off Twitter I hope the market reactions so far has sent him a clear enough signal that he should probably lay low for awhile and not tweet anything negative. Also, I hope he’s able to have a couple days to gather himself, get over his emotions and drop the SEC case and settle. I don’t think settling makes him look bad, on the contrary, I think it’ll make him look good.

Price is also important because it's something that happens and is therefore news. Negative headlines affect supplier and consumer confidence. At a certain point headlines can make bankruptcy a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sure, but stock price is a low driver for headlines. Bob Lulz gets more headlines than $TSLA stock price.

What drives sales most are personal recommendations. No amount of marketing can buy that, though they try to make advertisements seem like a personal recommendation. Tesla is relying on the awesomeness of their cars and the personal recommendations that owners consistently make and have led to an extremely fast growing, high demand vehicle.

They do not pencil out. Just too expensive to operate a Model 3 full-time without commercial access to SC use. The monthly payments, lack of a lease program, higher insurance, and shorter warranty on drivetrain and battery pack just don't work for high mileage operations. Without SC access a driver is limited to what he can charge at home for hours of operation. It would only work for a very part-time gig and perhaps for a referral-gathering exercise.

Using a decent MPG gas car gives a driver a much better ROI. There are some nice late model sedans and vans on the used market for $11-15,000 with lots of rear seat legroom, wider seating, or third-row seating, and larger cargo spaces. Even with gas and maintenance, they pencil out much better than a base $50,000 Model 3 without in-town SC access.

LOL you speak authoritatively on everything, don't you?

Here's the perspective of someone who has over 3000 Uber/Lyft trips and is now doing it on the side with his Model 3.

The core problem with Uber/Lyft is with the price war kalanick started to try to kill Lyft it drove prices down to a point where the only feasible vehicle you could operate doing it full time was one you could "throw away" after a couple of years. So the issues you bring up are leaning towards accurate (I've never heard a driver say anything good about the lease program, the insurance is a rounding error, and any other car you'd actually drive would have less of a warranty or you'd pay out the nose for it) but they hardly apply to just a Model 3.

As something to do on the side a couple hours a week to cover the cost of your car and then some, my real world experience is it works really well, especially if you actually enjoy doing it. For example my 2nd Gen Volt purchased in 2016 was paid for by my ridesharing along with a trip to France in 2016 and one in Italy in 2017 with more $ to spare. In my Model 3 I'm easily covering payments and we're taking a trip in December. Driving with the Model 3 has been entertaining in that the enthusiasm for the car has exceeded expectations. Most people know what it is but have never been in one before and the feedback is uniformly extremely positive. It's almost gotten exasperating as every single trip now turns into a full Model 3 demo! :eek:

So, yes, it works quite well for the part-time gig as you mentioned, but to expand and clarify your point that is primarily due to the fact that the whole rideshare apparatus has been devalued and is why the turnover (especially with Uber) is downright appalling. At 2.5 years I'm an absolute dinosaur now. I won't post my referral codes here, but if someone wants more info/reality on actually doing it in a Model 3 message me.

Market related: whenever it stars a climb like this morning it sure gets pounded down quick! :(

View attachment 341899

So all charging can be done at home. At 1K miles, average savings on gas should be at least $150.

Also, uber is a part time job for many.

Also, consider no Oil change, and minimal maintenance costs
Now factor in the initial cost and monthly payments. What do you think the resale value would be on a 2 yr old Model 3 with 120,000 miles and no warranty for anything on the car including the battery pack and motor(s)? Oh, and at 2 years you would still owe about $30,000 on a 5yr loan.

Both the price is the current headlines are effectively a filter bubble. People that don't keep track of either, nor know much about EV's are buying the car. To the point where I'm getting relayed questions from new owners on how to charge through friends of friends.

We have escape velocity. Just have to wait for the SP to become rational.

Reactions: neroden and mekberg
Now factor in the initial cost and monthly payments. What do you think the resale value would be on a 2 yr old Model 3 with 120,000 miles and no warranty for anything on the car including the battery pack and motor(s)? Oh, and at 2 years you would still owe about $30,000 on a 5yr loan.

All these applies to ICE cars as well. BTW, M3 has 4 year warranty. Also factor in the EV credits of min 7.5K. In two years when you sell your car, no one is gonna factor in your EV discount. My understanding is that the depreciation for EV is less than that for ICE.

LOL you speak authoritatively on everything, don't you?

Here's the perspective of someone who has over 3000 Uber/Lyft trips and is now doing it on the side with his Model 3.

The core problem with Uber/Lyft is with the price war kalanick started to try to kill Lyft it drove prices down to a point where the only feasible vehicle you could operate doing it full time was one you could "throw away" after a couple of years. So the issues you bring up are leaning towards accurate (I've never heard a driver say anything good about the lease program, the insurance is a rounding error, and any other car you'd actually drive would have less of a warranty or you'd pay out the nose for it) but they hardly apply to just a Model 3.

As something to do on the side a couple hours a week to cover the cost of your car and then some, my real world experience is it works really well, especially if you actually enjoy doing it. For example my 2nd Gen Volt purchased in 2016 was paid for by my ridesharing along with a trip to France in 2016 and one in Italy in 2017 with more $ to spare. In my Model 3 I'm easily covering payments and we're taking a trip in December. Driving with the Model 3 has been entertaining in that the enthusiasm for the car has exceeded expectations. Most people know what it is but have never been in one before and the feedback is uniformly extremely positive. It's almost gotten exasperating as every single trip now turns into a full Model 3 demo! :eek:

So, yes, it works quite well for the part-time gig as you mentioned, but to expand and clarify your point that is primarily due to the fact that the whole rideshare apparatus has been devalued and is why the turnover (especially with Uber) is downright appalling. At 2.5 years I'm an absolute dinosaur now. I won't post my referral codes here, but if someone wants more info/reality on actually doing it in a Model 3 message me.

Market related: whenever it stars a climb like this morning it sure gets pounded down quick! :(
The numbers I crunched for a friend were based on a full-time operation and did not work. As I said, using a Model 3 on a part-time basis to gather referrals as a bonus to a few bucks in your pocket could be very effective. Just do not forget to factor in depreciation for the miles you are driving. Your 120,000-mile warranty is finite.

About time for me to buy
Same here, just bought again.
What a sale.
Added to my long postion (shares and LEAPS).
As usual keeping enough money for buying during further drops.
I am prepard and keep enough money for buying down to the low $180s and $120s.
In case we drop any further than that I just might have to wait and see.
Is it true SEC is doing an investigation on Model 3 production numbers communicated during the last couple of months?
BTW congrats Tesla for three safest cars on the planet!

Status
Not open for further replies.