Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Elon pulling earnings forward a week has caught me in the unfortunate position of having sold 295 weeklies on my 4000 shares this week for some cash flow.. not expecting any runup this early (wasnt going to take any covered call risks on the actual earnings report). Anyone have suggestions for recovering from this predicament? Im going to be kicking myself pretty hard for holding steady the last 8 years and blowing all the gains missing this earnings ==(

Wow that's really a bummer. Can you buyback the calls on margin or anything? I've considered selling weekly OTM calls for some cash flow during anticipated slow times, but having only 100 shares, the thought of a "white swan" event getting my shares called away is pretty horrifying.

Reactions: Artful Dodger

Interesting.

Along the lines of a previous post calling short selling a Ponzi scheme, I suspect he was not actually sincere.

Rather, I speculate that he saw his chance to buy at a good price, and by going public about it he is if not creating then amplifying a trend.

It is almost like a ... self-fulfilling prophecy.

So much for all the praised team work of the shorty air force and all that nonsensical Ponzi manipulation of the short sellers.

Maybe the short sellers will start suing each other, then they can leave the actual investors alone.

His spots haven't changed -- but he's not a Tesla obsessive. He's now decided to move on and target other companies, which are easier targets. Why waste your time hunting the most difficult prey when you can bring down a dozen easier-to-kill targets?

This is something I never really understood about the Tesla shorts - there are far better obvious short targets at the moment with plenty of companies with completely broken fundamentals to short - why are they wasting their time on Tesla when the “dangers” of Tesla Bulls being right have a comparatively much higher probability. (I know the obvious answer: They are morons.)

(Snap, Fitbit, GoPro, Spotify etc - many companies likely not long for this world)

Not an advice.

When $420 comes, Elon has already set a huge pr day aimed exactly at the prime buying demo market and Tesla won’t have to spend a dime. Everyone will be talking about it for them. Guerilla marketing 101.

Just to note, over the past few days of tweeting/retweeting, Elon is quickly racing to 2m likes on those tweets and safely assuming 100s of millions of impressions as well.

These are big predictors of sales to come. Production constrained is an understatement.

Well, he's convincingly humble there about how wrong he was, I'll give him that. Shame they didn't run this earlier win the day, could have been the catalyst for 300.

That blonde lady in the green dress, wow!
You think so ? I gave him just over a minute (which is more than Joe Rogan? got) the first thing that sprung to my mind was "Mr Trite" (Bob Newhart - the retirement party) Well worth a listen for younger viewers and a better use of time than listening to this two faced t**t.

Wow that's really a bummer. Can you buyback the calls on margin or anything? I've considered selling weekly OTM calls for some cash flow during anticipated slow times, but having only 100 shares, the thought of a "white swan" event getting my shares called away is pretty horrifying.
I think this might be the only option... It sucks because it will be the 2nd time I've been caught out... at least for now its just a $15/share loss instead of $30...

Well, TECHNICALLY this is what VWAG is planning to do with their e-tron (And other cars) launch. In addition to their proprietary network, they will have one card direct access to something like 200 USA/CA networks. Won't be free at of course, unless it's a free station, but one access. That would be nice.
But, you'll have to cross a bridge to get to a charger. I have one I'll sell to you since you seem to be in the market.

The shorts are turning on their own: Why Citron Is Wrong on Tesla

Wahlman's claiming that Left is just being an opportunist and that he's jumping ship due to the threat of a profitable Q3. He think's it's just a temporary blip and all part of the show. wahlman and spiegel are still in denial. I'd love to see the looks on pablo santos and montana skeptic's faces as they realize their potemkin village is collapsing!

That means, the retail shorts haven't capitulated yet. Tomorrow will probably be a holding pattern or a slow SP rise until earnings.
A few minutes ago, our favorite coal hedge fund manager has said he closed out his short position.

This is serious.

Which USB standard? 2, 3, or C? (I vote for C).
As long as they are backwards compatible,
2->3->C & 2->C, I don't see a problem. There's room for progress and you don't need to keep a bunch of different adapters.

Tesla suggested to share their charging network, but there were no positive responses. Now if everyone starts coming up with their own adapters/connectors and lock other brands out of their charging stations, I don't see a big positive in that.

Would suck having to skip a charging station when you need a charge. Charging other brands extra would be a fair game, but I'd rather have the option than not have it.

As long as they are backwards compatible,
2->3->C & 2->C, I don't see a problem. There's room for progress and you don't need to keep a bunch of different adapters.

Tesla suggested to share their charging network, but there were no positive responses. Now if everyone starts coming up with their own adapters/connectors and lock other brands out of their charging stations, I don't see a big positive in that.

Would suck having to skip a charging station when you need a charge. Charging other brands extra would be a fair game, but I'd rather have the option than not have it.
My point was C ain't compatible with anything but C ( but at least you can plug it in upside down).

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba
Word of caution: the propaganda and actions of this individual as well as others was intent on making Tesla go bankrupt. I’m far from allowing them to get a pass, which only incentivizes them to continue criminal activity in the future. They must be marginalized not celebrated in my opinion. Just this weekend, I saw a short hedge fund manager post multiple fake customer tweets as well as fire tweet with the intention of making people believe Tesla’s spontaneously caught on fire. It’s just so blantant and it’s to no benefit to allow this to become acceptable.

CNBC did extended report that new car sales are down. Even mentioned BMW massive recalls. Did not even mention Tesla, an American success story and incredible sales growth story right now. Up at times over 10% today.

Not once.

We must marginalize those sources that continue to omit reality. We must promote those sources and individuals that bring us real, non propaganda information. Everyone will be better for it.
PREACH

So mote it be...

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and Foghat
1. Depends on your definition of fast charge. AFAIK there'll be one CHAdeMO at each site, and a mix of 50, 150, and 350 kW CCS. So, if a car has CHAdeMO or CCS, it should be able to charge it. However, many cars won't be able to take the station's full power.

And just imagine how upset a driver will be that pulls in with his 350kW capable Taycan to find that all of the high power CCS spots are taken up by Bolts charging at ~50Kw, and that he has to use the last 50Kw stall and take forever to charge. :eek::rolleyes: Or that the only open spot is the CHAdeMO one which he can't use at all...

Last edited:
I think this might be the only option... It sucks because it will be the 2nd time I've been caught out... at least for now its just a $15/share loss instead of $30...

@j5drive

I'm curious, since I'm interested in doing this in the future, what is your general strategy for doing this? I imagine you typically avoid anything around ERs. How far above the SP do you sell calls at? 10%? 15%? Weeklies, or two weeks out?

@Foghat -- is this new information? Being rather new, I'm not familiar with who this individual is.
Yes. He just tweeted. Very vocal short that said on tv Elon would not be CEO by year end. Very nasty online attack presence as well. Left now this guy on the exact same day... I think it was the early reporting that has them shook.

(I know the obvious answer: They are morons.)

Or their clients see Tesla as a threat, and wish to end that threat.

Yes. He just tweeted. Very vocal short that said on tv Elon would not be CEO by year end. Very nasty online attack presence as well. Left now this guy... I think it was the early reporting that has them shook.

Link?

This is something I never really understood about the Tesla shorts - there are far better obvious short targets at the moment with plenty of companies with completely broken fundamentals to short - why are they wasting their time on Tesla

I believe some of the biggest shorts might be "trapped" - weirdly enough short interest never dipped to below ~30m shares this year, despite two dips to below $250.

These might not be the loudest shorts, but the ones pulling the strings of the FUD machine.

We might find out in the coming days, weeks and months.

Status
Not open for further replies.