Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be completely honest here, if I could make the kind of money he makes from market manipulations, I wouldn't want to be right either. Capitalism is a zero-sum game. Someone has to lose in order for you to win. That's the nature of capitalist economies, the whole concept of scarcity underpins all the economic activity. In a world without scarcity, capitalism could not exist.

It's only zero sum if there is no increase in GDP. The real trick is to increase GDP while decreasing resource use, such as by producing energy from sunlight or making batteries from old batteries. That way you're eliminating scarcity. Utopia is nothing mined, everything recycled, no scarcity.
We are witnessing the decoupling of energy from mined fossils. Have to repeat this with concrete, steel, fertiliser etc.

Capitalism is a zero-sum game. Someone has to lose in order for you to win. That's the nature of capitalist economies, the whole concept of scarcity underpins all the economic activity. In a world without scarcity, capitalism could not exist.

That is a massive load of crap.

In 1820 94% of the world's population lived in poverty.

In 2011 17% of the world's population lived in poverty.

That is a result of economic growth. Provided through capitalism.

On the other hand, stock trades are a zero sum game.

Exercising and selling stock options immediately is a nice, low stress strategy that in the long run is still going to perform similarly to trying to time the market. It also allows diversification away from him sole source of income.

It's also much easier to put on an "automatic" exercising and selling plan that the SEC requires of insiders on the level of Deepak, who by the nature of his job is always in possession of material non-public information.

That's why this seemed odd.......no record of share disposal; only an exercise of the options and acquisition of the related-shares at the strike price.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Personally, I don't see how the SR could be more powerful than the MR, unless Tesla is using a different cell design (more optimized for power, less for capacity) for the SR. Previously, 96s31p was the configuration that had been found for the LR-architecture-SR by Electrek, with 96s46p for the LR, and my guess is 96s36p for the MR (the front page article is wrong - 3446 cells does not evenly fit into the LR architecture, it'd be 96s35.9p in that case, so I'm guessing 3456 cells). So, I think it has to be that they just didn't have the power to do 130 mph on the MR, which doesn't bode well for the SR's top speed either.

As far as motors... the rear motor in a Dual Motor non-Performance car has a lower rating than the RWD or Performance cars (although we also know that many (most? all?) Dual Motor cars are built as Performance in reality, and just software-locked to be slower). Could be that there was a glut of lower-rated motors that they want to allocate to the MRs? Also, interestingly (although it could be a side effect of the battery being smaller, too), the warranty is 8/100 instead of 8/120 on the MR.
Clearly SR shouldn't be faster than MR, just from the basics of a smaller pack. But the arrangement of cells in the pack might be suboptimal in the MR pack, versus the purpose built SR pack layout. So it's not impossible that the MR pack has a lower peak current limit than the SR. The 0-60 is rated the same, it's only the top speed that apparently changed, so if it's really that MR is lower top speed (and not that SR is also 125 rather than 130), then it probably has to do with sustained power output limitations. But Tesla is pretty much free to re/de-rate the SR at any time before they actually start accepting orders for it, so SR may get even slower. Who knows. A buck twenty is more than enough for anyone without a deathwish, anyways, I'd be more concerned with the other metrics (range / efficiency, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Dyson's electric car - our vision of what it will be like | Autocar
To be built in Singapore.
Not sure if this is because I am a brit, or that I have an ex colleague working on it or for hopefully less superfluous reasons - but this is the only one I'm interested in. Shame that Apple aren't putting up a stronger fight - they really could do if they just got on with it (being 2nd best in the market wouldn't have to undermine their brand value as long as they have a unique angle). I was also hoping Dyson were going to go cheaper but it sounds more like they want to compete with Tesla. Colourful plastic panels on a back to basics Smart car rip-off will do well I'm sure whoever comes up with it.
Today will most likely be the last day that discussing Tesla competitors (killers) is relevant so I thought I would get this in before we all start stressing over tax bills...

I was pulling allnighters running a startup during the year that Season 5 Episide 2 of ST:TNG came out. So I went and watched it on Netflix tonight, to make sense of the last few hours of this thread. Good show.

That episode remains one often referenced among people I know. It's kind of weird too because I can't explain why this episode stands above most of them. Hopefully all ST:NG fans caught the Patrick Stewart semi-tearful reveal that they are going to bring back the character.

Now I just want a Pacino meme for Ha! AHUJA!

Guys. I didn’t win the 1.6 billion dollar lottery. Oh the amount of stock I would have bought. Makes me sad.

I was laughing with a friend that if I won the lottery I knew I'd put a big chunk into Tesla. I gotta work on expanding my dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.