Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectly articulated!

And you were one of those steadying influences Avoigt. I owe you, Fact Checking, Neroden, Papafox and many others here a debt of gratitude. I have previously posted the classic "Braveheart" scene where the English Heavy Cavalry thunders down upon the Scottish rebels as William Wallace implores them to "HOLD!" It is a perfect metaphor for how I felt about my 1000+ shares as the forces arrayed against Elon Musk and Tesla mounted a full-blown assault over the past year. The collective wisdom of this board allowed me to hold that line in the face of what appeared to be certain defeat and the destruction of a considerable percentage of my net worth.

Cheers to the Longs!

This is the tipping point.

Usually after an ER I write a comment the next day to read between the lines of the numbers and Q&A and give my analysis why what we heard is actually good or not so bad and why I recommend to stay on course.

Today I do not need to do that because the results speak for themselves. Finally most of what we longs predicated and defended for years has yesterday been proven to be correct and valid. We have had a lot of phases of uncertainty in the last months and years where a lot of people went emotional and lost trust because they have been more influenced by the media than they recognized and overlooked finally the elephant in the rom.

All predictions Eon made came true and the most important piece here is that he gained a huge weight of credibility now. Investors can now make a case why an investment in Tesla is meaningful versus before they had to defend why they are invested or intend to.

All numbers Tesla presented yesterday show a consistent picture of a company that disrupting a market fundamentally and turns from an overweight into CapEx investment with negative financial numbers despite of amazing growth into a cash generating, profit engine monster with a competitive edge that won't be touched for a long time. We just reached a new level in the history of Tesla.

Yesterday was history not because we have seen impressive Q3 numbers and a good ER call but because Tesla did prove that what mainstream called impossible has been confirmed and validated to be possible. All what Elon did promise before turned into reality.

This is history because the path forward is now more easy than it was ever before. Its still not an easy path but Tesla is clearly unstoppable now. Its done!

We should not underestimate the financial independence Tesla has achieved in Q3. With Elons vision turning into reality with ever day passing by the ability to grow, design, launch and deliver existing and future models as well as batterie and solar products as well as services to rent your car and make money with it is better than it has been ever. Every one of this three units will growth dramatically and create huge revenue and profits on its own.

• Car business will continuously grow and dominate EV as ICE sales in all markets they appear. The Y, Semi, Roadster and Pickup will be an acceleration of growth, revenue and profits as well as cash generation that will turn Tesla into one of the largest companies globally.
  • The AP business combined with the ride hauling structure presented is not yet factored in and will drive a huge revenue generation with very low investment. The margin will be above 90% for Tesla cashing in about 30% of the revenue all people do renting their Tesla to others.
  • TE is just because of Battery shortages today yet small and although growing will accelerated every quarter until is another large cash generator and profit engine that dominates their space. The combination and synergies between the car business are amazing and still widely untouched.
The future looks indeed bright for Tesla and I want to thank all who brought good information, analytics and thoughts into this board as well as continued to believe in the mission. We all will be astounded altogether what we will experience in the years to come. This is still just the beginning.

As an investor you are from time to time challenged and Tesla is a good example for this. Since I invested the first time in 2015 I did not sell as single stock and can say I am very pleased with my decision to continuously add to my position in particular throughout the correction we have seen lately from $380 down to $247.

Congratulations to everybody sensing the signals and to the quite amazing group of smart people that came together here to discuss views, thought, opinions and information. Keep going.

Here's the transcript on M3 estimated demand:

Elon Musk

It's hard to predict with accuracy. The - and there is also, like with all the tariff wars and everything. So long term, like you say, like we’re not talking about like next quarter, so like what is- likely global demand for Model 3. It's probably in the order of anywhere from 500,000 to 1 million cars a year, let's say, quick global demand for Model 3.

If we're talking like, they have the 3 series, that's around 0.5 million. The BMW 3 series is about 0.5 million units a year globally. And generally, we find that we outcompete the BMW 3 series quite well. So it seems like logical therefore that we will long-term have a higher production - higher demand. Maybe it's somewhere between the kind of the BMW 3 series and the Volkswagen Golf, which about a 1 million units a year. So, yeah, that's anywhere from 500,000 to 1 million units a year long term.

Honestly I'm not sure I've ever encountered a truly blind curve.
Right. I have, there are three in my town. You don't know what to do when you encounter one, do you?

I do, because it's actually documented. And prescribed by law. A "thanks for good driving" prize to the first other person on this board who knows what it is. (Betcha nobody in Tesla's self-driving team knows.) You're gonna laugh when you find out.

Anyways, care to comment on the substance of my post?

It wasn't anything I didn't already know and it wasn't relevant. But I'll repeat myself for those, like you, who haven't gotten the point yet.

It is simply not useful to make an "average driver" car. Psychologically, people won't accept it: we have documentation that people will demand that an autonomous car be *substantially better* than an average driver; for some reason people are way more unhappy if hurt by a mediocre-competence robot than by a mediocre-competence human. Musk knows this, and has quoted a need to be 10 times better and 100 times better at various times. You will not get this by replicating average. It may reduce crashes if deployed as "enhanced driver assistance" (people will accept it if there's a driver to blame) but it will never be allowed as "full self driving".

What I liked about the letter and the call is that they have become more conservative and prudent and even a bit secretive in their guidance (for finances and production). Elon even said ‘long term’ several times. :rolleyes:

That leaves room for more positive surprises in future quarters. I hope they stick to this prudency.

EPS of 1.75. In probably 1 more year, the current valuation of $280 will be justified by fundamentals alone.

Currently PE is ~40x. If tesla manages to simply double production it will reach $280 at PE of 20x EPS.
Actually, because there are economies of scale in the business (duhhh) it's better than that: doubling production gets us to a much higher price than that at a P/E of 20x

Quite negative report by Reuters.... sic! And so we continue this futile battle...

Breaking down Tesla’s balance sheet

Subheadline: "Under the hood: heavy debt, supplier IOUs and dwindling cash"

The sub-headline contains three parts: the first is true but irrelevant given their free cash flow; the second applies to literally every company (that's what accounts payable is), and the third is a flat-out lie. A FCF of nearly a billion dollars can in no way, shape or form be called "dwindling cash". That's a literal contradiction to the word "dwindling".

If you scroll down, what they're actually saying is, if we pretend that Tesla is forced to pay all of its 2019 debt today, and if every customer cancels today, why, then in this contrived scenario they'd be in a low cash position! They might as well have thrown a Godzilla attack into their scenario.

I agree with you and as Peter Thiel says - I wouldn't bet against Elon. Then again, I wouldn't bet against Neroden. This is like choosing between parents. Can I live with Uncle Factchecker instead?
:) Did anyone notice the part where I said that once they start trying to solve the right *problem*, it'll go quickly?

What I liked about the letter and the call is that they have become more conservative and prudent and even a bit secretive in their guidance (for finances and production). Elon evdn said ‘long term’ several times. That leaves room for more positive surprises in future quarters. I hope they stick to this prudency.

They really were not able to predict margins because they didn't know the M3 product mix people would actually order. But once again, with the model 3, they found a surprising number of people wanting the premium version.

This phenomenon of Tesla buyers purchasing premium product has to have auto analysts confused. So much car buying historically has been predictable by groups of price points.

Last edited:
Tesla just can't be judged by normal car metrics, they are so much more than that. The fact that even the hard core fans here only ever focus on the vehicles themselves is an indicator of the loaded gun they have.

Also take note of the fact that 50% of trade ins were < 35k new. That's me to a Tesla "T". I didn't trade in to Tesla, but my previous car was 22k new. We've now sold my wife's ailing Subaru Forester (maybe 29k new? not sure) and are using my dads 20k 2007 civic that HE stopped using when he got his 60k model 3.

As much as i HATE when people say Tesla = Apple, in this case, yes, they are iPhoning the ever living **** out of the auto industry. And instead of rising the the challenge, the incumbents are pissing into the wind in an effort to turn it back.

I'm afraid I agree with @diatz and disagree with @neroden regarding FSD: Tesla is way ahead in the FSD game today.
So, I actually agree with all of these tech claims?
Don't say you disagree with me when you give a list of things I agree on!

I just think it's irrelevant to the question of when we'll get full self driving, because they're not looking at the problem of how to teach the neural network to drive. Teaching it to recognize objects is all very well, but it still has to learn how to drive. When Tesla starts working on that, *then* I'll get optimistic.

(This is actually the typical way problems develop for Tesla. Tesla's biggest problems, such as poor communications and lack of service centers, are only hard because management was persistently unable/unwilling to recognize that they were issues. The moment management figures out what they need to do, the problems will start getting solved. Just as the Service Centers willl hopefully start getting built now that Musk has noticed the deficiency on the map -- but the problem was building up for five years because they didn't know there was a problem and weren't working on it.)

I think the evidence shows that Cruise is farthest ahead in the conceputal problem of figuring out *how to teach a neural network to drive well*, even if they have a worse neural network. Everyone else is a joke. though.

Actually, because there are economies of scale in the business (duhhh) it's better than that: doubling production gets us to a much higher price than that at a P/E of 20x

It's odd how few people consider what adding production of 200,000 units/year in an existing factory does for the bottom line. The "Tesla looses money on every car" thesis was really weird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.