Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varies from state to state. AFAIK most states only charge tax if the car is to be registered in that state. CA, though, charges sales tax regardless.

Why not change the 2018 EOY new m3 delivery event from freemont to Spark, NV with giga factory trip and riding with wild horses on the Nevada prairie? I assume Nevada does not charge sales tax without in-state registration?

Anyone has the pic of wild horses with the GF1 as background ?

Last edited:
I like Zach too. But he knows business about as well as my old and very smart golden retriever.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think that chairman of the board actually needs to understand business. Its a senior position, so it is more political than business. Heck, that's basically true of the board in general. Business is more for CEO or COO. The proposal was something like "savvy, good with PR" which I think is a good fit for Tesla.

Not that I think the suggestion would be taken seriously by those that matter. But if someone with those characteristics that was acceptable could be found, that would be good.

My favorite hot take this morning is that because TSLA popped, GM is a buy (OK, you go do that).

I have come to apply a filter to journalists and analysts that cover the automotive or financial sector--most of them seem akin to dinosaurs watching a meteor in the sky--they seem unable to extrapolate the impact of companies like Tesla or Uber or Lyft or that there may be a changing of the guard.

Journos and analysts that cover tech seem to be better in that they at least understand the concept of market disruptors but most don't understand the automotive sector so we get breathy, stupid articles on how autonomous vehicles are here.

If Tesla now has access to low-interest local debt at the site of it's future Gigafactories (make it a requirement in the bidding process) then what's to stop Tesla from using, say, half a billion dollars per quarter in a share buyback program? You know, to swallow up the bullshit shorting?

Tesla isn't *obligated* to grow at max possible rate. But it is essential to thrive. That'll be better for the planet longterm.

Anyone ? Bueller ?
NO BUYBACKS!

Loss of 3.5k in rebates will be nicely counterbalanced by new Grohmann battery pack that is cheaper and foreign sales.

By the time the rebate goes to $1750 SR will be bringing profits from sales to buyers who do not qualify for full 7k rebate anyway.

I know everybody is operating on the premise of the tax credit remaining unchanged, as it's always easiest to assume the status quo. But I really doubt this premise. Neither political party likes the status quo, where the credit is evolving into a "federally subsidize non-US manufacturers" programme.

There's no agreement on exactly what the best solution is - ranging from "Full repeal and added tax on EVs" to "Renew, reform and expand the EV credit for years to come". But I find some sort of negotiated solution highly likely.

Arghh... What about Elon time here? Guess I got to re-calibrate. This is getting serious! Didn´t expect it coming so soon... :eek::)

Q3 letter said:
This is why we are excited to bring Model 3 to Europe early next year. The reception at the Paris Auto Show as well as the Goodwood Festival of Speed was very
strong. We expect to start taking orders in Europe and China for Model 3 before the end of this year.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: EinSV
My favorite hot take this morning is that because TSLA popped, GM is a buy (OK, you go do that).

Okay, I have to admit. I did buy some GM yesterday in the I401K. At 30.55$ in the last minutes of the day, it was yielding 5%..I think 30$ is a pretty solid floor and we haven't seen the end YET of the business buying cycle. EOY is usually a solid time for this sector. We'll see. But getting another bite or two of the div AND another 10-15% seemed pretty realistic.

Last edited:
Arghh... What about Elon time here? Guess I got to re-calibrate. This is getting serious!

You mean Elon time like "GAAP profitability in 2H 2018" and "20% margin on Model 3 achieved in Q4"? ;)

I am a bit worried, though. I ideally want both air suspension and the tow package. We know they're in the middle of at least testing the tow package. If I lock in and they release one or the other, will I be unable to add it? I figure Iceland is pretty far down their deliveries priority list....

Reactions: wipster and neroden
Why not change the 2018 EOY new m3 delivery event from freemont to Spark, NV with giga factory trip and riding with wild horse on the Nevada prairie? I assume Nevada does not charge sales tax regardless of in-state registration?

Anyone has the pic of wild horses with the GF1 as background ?
Honestly, THAT is an interesting idea. I wonder if they could get NV to move on some tax opportunity, that would allow journeys to NV for pickup. Throw in a bus ride to Fremont and a factory tour. Or giga factory tour. Hmm. I know we have some neighbor state regulations around these things in CA, but it's an interesting idea.

I'll be honest, I'm surprised TSLA is not higher right now. I nearly sold 60 shares earlier to make a sweet £800 profit in 24 hours, but then it dropped just below that point and I'm now only £422 up on those, with my current short-term trades still down £6k. (definitely UP overall with my long terms...)

Anyway... my feeling right now is that this is basically a pretty safe bet. Looking at valuations on P?E of companies like Amazon, and then at the growth possibilities and current position of TSLA, its insane to me this stock is not $600.
I'm holding my long terms for a good number of years, but my short term margin-buys, which used to bother me because of overnight fees (total of £1,254 in fees now...), are actually looking pretty reasonable. I know a lot of people will sell today to lock in gains, but I'll pick my moment over the next week or two.

I'd like to see October EV sales numbers, and the hilarious line-charts that result from it, and see if that shakes any more big buyers from their slumber. I'm definitely not selling anything below $320.

Reactions: neroden
I came in 5 minutes late to the call but seem to have missed some things
1. No guidance on expected production, deliveries in q4
2. Some of the usual participants missing on call and several newer ones i hadnt heard of
3. No current production rate of Model3
4. No questions on financing of china factory
5. Although no batteries will be made in china in the beginning, will imported batterries face tariffs and has panasonic been approached about joining in future or will tesla produce batterries?
6. Expected qtr semi will begin production next year
Where do they get these analysts?

With manufacturing efficiencies tesla should be able to generate equivalent eps numbers
($2.90 ) In the upcoming quarters . And as production increases even exceed this eps. This
Is not a one off type event.

In my view, The market has not yet even discounted a minimum of $12 profit per share,
Over the next 4 quarters, And it’s likely they will generate At least $15 per share next year.

Assuming a p/e of 30, and eps of $15, $450 is a short term objective.

I mentioned this yesterday(only about 400 pages back or so), but @ an overly conservative $50k ASP and the projected 20% margins, the 7k/week figure produces an additional $240 million over 5k/week. This part I didn’t mention, but by my calculations that comes out to ~$17.50 EPS(everything else remaining equal).

And to top off a great day, I just picked up my M3. White/white. A beauty. Seat much more comfortable than MS and MX.
Regarding seats, I've heard the seats were changed. When I got my first "test sit" in a Model 3, the seat was awful, it forced my head down, there was no way to sit up straight. Was that the old seat or the new seat?

I mentioned this yesterday(only about 400 pages back or so), but @ an overly conservative $50k ASP and the projected 20% margins, the 7k/week figure produces an additional $240 million over 5k/week. This part I didn’t mention, but by my calculations that comes out to ~$17.50 EPS(everything else remaining equal).
Which, at a plausibly lowball 20 P/E, is $350/share.

Status
Not open for further replies.