Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla/Elon aren't going to get in trouble if the guidance was simply optimistic. Rather, they'd get in trouble if they were outright lying. If Elon was going around telling insiders it was impossible while publicly saying they were going to do it, then they could be in trouble. If Elon's production folks were telling him it was impossible but he didn't believe them and kept saying it, then it's murkier. It's a judgement call on whether Elon believed was he was saying.

Tesla/Elon aren't going to get in trouble if the guidance was simply optimistic. Rather, they'd get in trouble if they were outright lying. If Elon was going around telling insiders it was impossible while publicly saying they were going to do it, then they could be in trouble. If Elon's production folks were telling him it was impossible but he didn't believe them and kept saying it, then it's murkier. It's a judgement call on whether Elon believed was he was saying.

Good luck to anyone who has to prove in court that Musk isn't hopelessly optimistic about... um... everything.

you'll never figure that out. . both algos and larger holders/traders are going to be splitting transactions and running them through dark pools and not making known from where the sales are coming.
I think both. I think the reversal and drop at about 13:20 was shorts selling on the knowledge that WSJ was about to do a hit piece. Then most of the actual volume at 14:00 was algobots.

3) By infrastructure, they're surely referring mainly to superchargers. And simultaneously forgetting that superchargers have been increasingly transitioning from a loss-leader to self-funding their own expansion. That's the whole point of making Model 3 owners pay for charging - so that Superchargers pay for themselves and Tesla can deploy them in far greater numbers. The more Model 3s there are on the road (and the longer it's been since their initial free-use credits expire), the more income Tesla gets. Meanwhile, the busier superchargers are, the more insignificant that "demand charges" (electricity cost per kW rather than kWh) are to company. Supercharger revenue won't pay for the whole expansion next year, but it'll pay for a good chunk of it. By my estimates, it should fully pay for its own expansion at a healthy pace in 2020.

KR I thought supercharging cost on M3 is based solely on cost of electricity. In fact if M3 owners have to pay lease, equipment, installation and other costs it becomes like the other charging systems which have prices approaching the cost of gas. If so I dont see that charge being self-funding for future superchargers.

I think we should remain open to the possibility that there might be something to the WSJ article. They said the probe was deepening, which possibly means that the DOJ is close to moving forward with some action. Just because Tesla hasn't provided more info recently doesn't mean that the DOJ is doing nothing.

The article says: "Action in the criminal investigation.....has intensified in recent weeks".

It also says: "In recent weeks, FBI agents have contacted former Tesla employees asking them for testimony in the criminal case"

I hope it's just a re-hash of the old news, but it sounds like there is more to it.

Disagree--this is classic FUD--long on innuendo and short on facts. Beyond scary but meaningless terms like "intensified", the second quote is classic. Nowhere does it say the testimony is negative. The testimony could just as easily give them evidence there was no wrongdoing and to justify closing down the investigation.

So, I think this means I select 'Yes' and SEC uses its discretion on whether to forward this to the firm (in which case I should get a letter from WSJ saying "we didn't try to manipulate the market, end of transmission") or investigate internally, correct?

Want to make sure I get this right before submitting.
I take it to mean that they won't act on the submission unless they are also allowed to communicate it to the subject.

Reactions: neroden
Shorts deserve financial ruin. This type of WSJ/NYT market manipulation shows fear is boiling in their blood. I’d love to see TSLA bankrupt Mark Siegel, Eihnhorn, Chanos and their funds. Showing no mercy from where I’m sitting, closing in on $330s.

Your comment ended up having a newline after "I’d love to see TSLA bankrupt". I was wondering what the hell was going on.

3) By infrastructure, they're surely referring mainly to superchargers. And simultaneously forgetting that superchargers have been increasingly transitioning from a loss-leader to self-funding their own expansion. That's the whole point of making Model 3 owners pay for charging - so that Superchargers pay for themselves and Tesla can deploy them in far greater numbers. The more Model 3s there are on the road (and the longer it's been since their initial free-use credits expire), the more income Tesla gets. Meanwhile, the busier superchargers are, the more insignificant that "demand charges" (electricity cost per kW rather than kWh) are to company. Supercharger revenue won't pay for the whole expansion next year, but it'll pay for a good chunk of it. By my estimates, it should fully pay for its own expansion at a healthy pace in 2020.

KR I thought supercharging cost on M3 is based solely on cost of electricity. In fact if M3 owners have to pay lease, equipment, installation and other costs it becomes like the other charging systems which have prices approaching the cost of gas. If so I dont see that charge being self-funding for future superchargers.

No. Typical high-rate supercharging costs are about 10 cents over residential electricity rates, let alone commercial rates.

People: stop saying "The SEC should investigate WSJ". When you think the SEC should investigate someone, file a complaint alleging wrongdoing.

SEC Investor Complaint Form

The SEC doesn't read this forum looking for angry people.
Here is my complaint:

Wall Street Journal continues to publish unsubstantiated, irresponsible pieces without any backing. They often recycle old information as newly breaking news, with the sole intent of manipulating share prices. The article below is the latest example.

Tesla Faces Deepening Criminal Probe Over Whether It Misstated Production Figures

WSJ promotes these articles by making most of the Tesla articles free to read, unlike most other content they publish.

Journalists on WSJ Payroll like Charley Grant publish one sided defamatory articles with the sole purpose of besmirching the firm. Why should an analyst covering Industrials and healthcare sectors for WSJ continue to 'pin' his anti-Tesla message on their twitter feed while promoting rumors and innuendo? There are credible claims that his relatives have positions in TSLA that would benefit from a drop in the share price and he is using his journalistic platform to do so. He should be investigated, along with WSJ, for their intent to manipulate the share price of TSLA.

Oh please, this is not about diversity, it's about undereducation. It's a natural instinct to want to sit as high as possible, i.e. a human in their uneducated state. This is why SUV's are popular, and furthermore why you find ANYBODY driving a mini-SUV, such as a RAV-4 or CR-V are literally the worst drivers in the world who think their cars are they greatest. "I don't worry about snow, because I have AWD". Ok, dude... enjoy your pseudo-AWD with bald all season tires in a narrow top-heavy car, see you flipped over on the side of the highway on the first storm of the year.

The physics view says be as low to the ground as possible.
On average, women a shorter. This implies that on average their torso is probably shorter, meaning their eye line will be lower than a man, on average (who would on average have a taller torso).

As such, when you need to see over a binnacle and possibly hood to see the road immediately in front of you (seeing far away isn't a problem), sitting higher helps. Many mis-associate absolute height with relative height, but SUV and CUV vehicles do tend to have a higher relative height also.

By relative height, I mean height of seat relative to binnacle and hood line, with a higher relative height equating to higher eye line with more visibility immediately in front of the car (all else being equal).

You can improve visibility without raising height by removing the binnacle (as the 3 has done) as well as by making the hood shorter and angled away from the eye line (not uncommon, but the 3 also does this somewhat).

So the 3 can provide a good view for someone with a shorter torso (regardless of gender), even though the absolute height is lower than a SUV/CUV.

But often, people associate relative height with absolute height and thus they feel like they can see better from their SUV thrones. There is an element of miseducation there. But there's also an element of truth in that many smaller cars provide poor sight lines for people with shorter torsos, so it's not a totally incorrect rule of thumb that bigger vehicles lend a better view.

That said, for some, the 3 might still be "too low", or even actually too low. A Y will sell better to these individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.