Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite pleased to see Larry on board.

Pretty good day for the guy, in addition to the board announcement, at 3 million shares owned, and a $333.87 closing price, he joins Elon in redefining Teslanaires
I _really_ _really_ like max pain for 1-18-2019 (i tell you 3 times this is real)
edit:
(possibly glitchy, but really likeable
Max Pain | Maximum-Pain.com
upload_2018-12-28_19-6-4.png

Last edited:
my point was that its cruising speed tops out at 62 mph.

what's more, I don't think any of the global rating standards (EPA, NEDC, etc.) are limited to highway cruising.

fwiw, the motor is so tiny, it's reported to be 47 hp. this car does not have "chill" mode, it has, "you still on" mode.

What's wrong with a 47HP engine ?
I had a 47hp sports car. I was very happy with it in college.
Paid $550 with only 35,000 miles on it.
The Fiat 850 Spyder
s-l640.jpg

It even had a FRUNK but no trunk.
Top speed 90 mph
No it was not the 49HP version.

So I looked this up myself, see this list: The World's Billionaires
Larry Ellison is now worth 55 billion.
Interestingly, he has jumped over the Koch brothers since the begin of this year to the 7th place in the ranking, mostly because the Kochs lost a quarter of their net worth (about 14 billion each) this year.
We need to send them (the Kochs) a congratulatory message telling them to keep up the good work.

Frankly, that's certainly possible. I can easily get near this efficiency in my model 3 when I'm not hooning it or doing 85 on the highway. 200wh/mile is probably a pretty decent target average for a light and efficiency focussed EV. So, that's 5 miles/kWh or ~165 mile range.

That's in your nice and warm CA :). In the colder regions, not so much...

I _really_ _really_ like max pain for 1-18-2019 (i tell you 3 times this is real)
edit:
View attachment 364500
Lol i got all my life savings in this including child support
edit:
View attachment 364500
edit:
View attachment 364500
Lol

I’m not sure actual modern libertarians are misnamed. They generally believe in both social and economic liberty, approaching anarchism.
Misnamed because a lot of "libertarians" confuse it with "rugged individualism". I'm definitely a left libertarian - and I care about everyone's liberty - not just mine. Many of the Ron Paul supporters had quite a bit of racism thrown in and were not pro civil liberties (for the historically disadvantaged communities) , for eg. That is definitely not libertarian. For eg. Kochs consider themselves to be libertarian !

In other words, mainstream media considers free market capitalism with a bit of social liberty and anti-war noises thrown in as libertarian. That is not how it is treated in political science.

I'm still thinking Q4 news could be good sales but great margins. Assuming that's the case, if they announced average sales alone, it could be viewed as a negative. So could they also announce approximate Q4 Margins or is that number impossible to calculate in early Jan when vehicle sales are announced?
I am confused that Tesla recently reported 1000 cars in one day yet the Bloomberg tracker is stuck in the low 4000s.

Reactions: SpaceCash
Did OK today. Earlier this week I placed a sell of 50 @333 (and a buy @297 but didn't get it). Kinda silly considering I paid 317 so I only made $800... much about nothing really.

I need to quit looking and guessing, this is addictive!
Did OK today. Earlier this week I placed a sell of 50 @333 (and a buy @297 but didn't get it). Kinda silly considering I paid 317 so I only made $800... much about nothing really.

I need to quit looking and guessing, this is addictive!
Only made $800 ha ha. I am sure you did tons of work to make that money.

• Disagree
Reactions: FS_FRA
I tend to agree. People that buy a Porsche know cars and what a Turbo does. Even if everyone does not know, using Turbo in the name of an electric car makes Porsche look silly to the people that do know cars. They need to be more creative here.
That model is going to have special software to simulate turbocharger lag - that way their customers don't have to learn to adjust their driving habits.:D

In early January all we have to do is to plug the Q4 delivery numbers into the Q3 financial report, to get a conservative guess about how Q4 financials are going to look like. It's a question to what extent the broader market will be able to perform simple arithmetic operations - but usually they do manage. ;)

But yes, the real deal will probably be the Q4 update letter as @KarenRei and @neroden predicted it months ago.

Is there any rule/regulation which can forbid Tesla to give Q4 financials guidence in the Q4 delivery report on Jan 2? It could come as a surprise. I see almost zero possibility Tesla is not profitable for Q4. If it's a big profit, I hope they give the guidence on Jan 2.

Reactions: mongo
I
Also, I think the most important political influence Larry Ellison brings are his robust connections to conservatives and the Trump administration in particular. There have been signs of explicit anti-Tesla moves from the Trump administration in the past, and the views of U.S. mainstream conservatives about all things environmentally friendly and forward looking (dare I say 'progressive') is infamously reactionary.

I.e. Ellison is a much needed political ally to Tesla's mission as well. Since I expect U.S. conservatives to be one of the greenest parties in 10 years (once the influence of coal and oil billionaires fades in the GOP), it's perhaps the first signs of much needed reform. There's no fundamental conflict between conservatism and environmentalism: "conservation of nature" is "conservative" in the purest sense of the word.
Disagree. Trump likes Elon. Has openly marveled at what Elon has done with SpaceX and owns more then one Tesla. I'm not saying Trump is pro Tesla but he is not anti Elon and he is pro America mostly. That means different things to him then most here but to him it means American jobs and Elon makes a lot of those. When GM closes plants in the US he lashes out like a child but it's not because he hates Tesla and EVs. He sees GM cutting jobs in America and hiring in China because of China's EV mandates.

I'm sure Trump is not a fan of Tesla opening a plant in China but it had nothing to do with EVs and everything to do with American jobs. The issue yes that his trade was is making a China plant mandatory to avoid tariffs but also that is exactly what Trump is fighting for. No tariffs, so more US jobs. Will it work? We will know in March.

I don't understand why all this analysis is ignoring that already Tesla has a Murdoch on the board ? Is there anything more important to Trump & Republicans than Fox News ?

James Murdoch is a liberal btw. So was Trump and so are Jared kushner and the rest of the Trump's. They were from NY, NY where is illegal to be conservative.

Is there any rule/regulation which can forbid Tesla to give Q4 financials guidence in the Q4 delivery report on Jan 2? It could come as a surprise. I see almost zero possibility Tesla is not profitable for Q4. If it's a big profit, I hope they give the guidence on Jan 2.
If you look at the dates of the previous shareholder letters for Q4, they aren't even posted until February of the following year. I guess they could try to bump it up a little in early February, but that still probably isn't even January.

I haven't followed the financials that closely in previous years so I would defer to any better info from others...

OT :

You are confusing between liberals & progressives. Progressives fell out with Musk a long time back (starting IIRC with him saying bad things about public transport, but could have been earlier).

Liberals turned against Musk when he decided to join Trump's CEO / industry group. Liberals don't care about UAW, BTW. The term you are looking for is Neoliberal, when you say "liberal conservatives").
Liberals love to eat their own. God bless their souls. What I don't get is why the liberal press virulently hates Tesla and Elon. It's almost like they are fine with the environment burning as long as Tesla Burns with it. So odd.

Nothing stupid about it.
This is nomenclature their customers understand.
They are not talking to people on this forum.
Porsche isn't looking for EV enthusiasts, it's looking to sell to Porsche customers, and Turbo/Turbo S are highest models in the lineup even when every car in the 911 lineup has turbos.

I agree it's their branding .. but if they are serious about EVs, they will have new branding that highlighted the differences. Tesla did so with the P and the insane and ludicrous and plaid nomenclature, no difference really. One is old and boring and one is new and fun. It's an opportunity for Porsche to enhance their brand. Big mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.