Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tucson AZ to Van Horn, TX I-10.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tonight I am in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
I am charging tonight at the Green Office Building where there are two J1772s open to the public by a Tesla X and previous S owner who is a doctor in the building. I parked there and got a ride to the Hampton 2 miles away and will charge all night. The owner is really really great and very interesting.

But here is the cool stuff. In the same building is Peter Bronson's Virgin Galactic for the Space Tourism is in the same building with a large photo of the space craft.
Details of El Paso and Van Horn will be in the next post as I am worn out.

Yes please..keep the details coming its very useful for me. I appreciate it very much. Thank you.
I will do that but both places had a lot that went not as planned. And I will post it and will make myself available to you via phone or we could meet up along the journey. I try lots of options and so posting of the trials and failures get a bit tedious and I don't want to make any one look bad but there was some not too pleasant events that I lived through. But I keep pounding away to get the job done. So far we have made good progress and you will profit from it . We will be in Phoenix in a few days.
When is your trip?

Details Las Cruces, NM
Green Office Building 166 Roadrunner Pkwy, Las Cruces, NM 88011
two J1772

Details El Paso, Texas
Fountains at Farrah 8889 Gateway Blvd W, El Paso, TX 79925
Three J1772s

Details Pecos, Texas
Best Western Plus 141 Frontage St, Pecos, TX, 79772
EV Plug (J1772), 2 Tesla Model S / Model Xs

Details Van Horn, Texas
Southern Star RV Park 1605 W Broadway St, Van Horn, TX 79855
30amp 50amp and 110volt plugs

Details Van Horn, Texas
Desert Willow RV Park 404 E Broadway, Van Horn, TX 79855

Bad News
Curtis Aviation (Now called Atlantic) 1751 Shuttle Columbia Dr, El Paso, TX 79925, is listed by Tesla as having 2 Tesla chargers. Which they do as I have seen and touched them. They have had them about 3 years according to the people that work there and about 3 cars have used them in total during that time. The bad news is they will not let you use them as they are on the airport side of the fence . Now if Tesla gave them to Curtis and now Atlantic weren't they for the purpose of providing charging to Tesla owners?
I think a complaint should be made to Tesla. And by installing them on the airport side of the fence it easily restricts who has access.

Details Las Cruces, NM
Green Office Building 166 Roadrunner Pkwy, Las Cruces, NM 88011
two J1772

Details El Paso, Texas
Fountains at Farrah 8889 Gateway Blvd W, El Paso, TX 79925
Three J1772s

Details Pecos, Texas
Best Western Plus 141 Frontage St, Pecos, TX, 79772
EV Plug (J1772), 2 Tesla Model S / Model Xs

Details Van Horn, Texas
Southern Star RV Park 1605 W Broadway St, Van Horn, TX 79855

Details Van Horn, Texas
Desert Willow RV Park 404 E Broadway, Van Horn, TX 79855

Bad News
Curtis Aviation (Now called Atlantic) 1751 Shuttle Columbia Dr, El Paso, TX 79925, is listed by Tesla as having 2 Tesla chargers. Which they do as I have seen and touched them. They have had them about 3 years according to the people that work there and about 3 cars have used them in total during that time. The bad news is they will not let you use them as they are on the airport side of the fence . Now if Tesla gave them to Curtis and now Atlantic weren't they for the purpose of providing charging to Tesla owners?
I think a complaint should be made to Tesla. And by installing them on the airport side of the fence it easily restricts who has access.

So did you charge in Van Horn? I was confused because you listed two RV parks. Did you try two different places?

I saw the Destination Charger in El Paso was in the airport. I assumed it was in a private aircraft area and some pilot wanted Tesla to foot the bill for the installation so they could charge their car.

I will do that but both places had a lot that went not as planned. And I will post it and will make myself available to you via phone or we could meet up along the journey. I try lots of options and so posting of the trials and failures get a bit tedious and I don't want to make any one look bad but there was some not too pleasant events that I lived through. But I keep pounding away to get the job done. So far we have made good progress and you will profit from it . We will be in Phoenix in a few days.
When is your trip?

Thank you! I am leaving California on 1/26. The drive to Tucson I am not too worried about it's that leg from Tucson to Van Horn that has me a bit anxious!

Thank you! I am leaving California on 1/26. The drive to Tucson I am not too worried about it's that leg from Tucson to Van Horn that has me a bit anxious!

I don't know how far east you are going, but I wouldn't count on the Van Horn Supercharger being operational by 1/26.

If you are continuing on I-20 or I-10, they both have issues. It will be a squeeze getting from Van Horn to Midland until the Pecos Supercharger is in place (and construction has not begun, AFAIK). Consider a stop at the Pecos BW destination charger as The RosieHeart did. If continuing on I-10, the Fort Stockton Supercharger has also not been started. Also realize that the Ozona and Junction sites are not in operation, and at least in the case of Junction, there is no apparent reason. Also there is no Supercharger in San Antonio, necessitating a destination charger stop or a detour through San Marcos. There are not even any available CHAdeMO chargers in SA. Embarrassing for the 7th largest city in the nation.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
So did you charge in Van Horn? I was confused because you listed two RV parks. Did you try two different places?

I saw the Destination Charger in El Paso was in the airport. I assumed it was in a private aircraft area and some pilot wanted Tesla to foot the bill for the installation so they could charge their car.
Excellent point: Two charges at 2 different RV parks. I was trying to find one that would work the best. The first one was easy and the man was fun and did not charge me. But it was a little too far to walk for food as he said most places were closed for New Years.
The second place was also good and close to food and shopping. There was one in between that was a horror show and I would not charge there even though it was right across from Chuys restaurant where we ate.
Hope this makes sense. Keep the questions coming.

Reactions: BerTX
Tonight we are in Sierra Vista, AZ at the Hampton Inn with its two and I mean TWO Tesla Destination chargers. Tonight we have 3 Teslas sharing the 2 chargers.
I stopped at the Fort Willcox RV park 1765 W. Fort Willcox Loop for a quick charge as she advertised $1.50 and hour but now charges $2.00 an hour for a 50 amp plug. She also has 60 amp plugs available. She is very nice to EV owners and brings out a free bottle of water and has huge expansion plans and so I am happy to charge here and pay. The funny thing about this $2 as it was the first payment in the last 18,300 miles that I have owned my Tesla X. I spent some time with her to apply to Tesla for a destination charger.
There is a cave called Kartchner Caves that my friend Ed Battershell has told me about and his advice is always good.
Arizona State Parks: Kartchner Caverns: Home

What is the Rosie Heart??
It is 400 trees that are now over 30 feet tall and turn red for about 7 days a year. The trees are liquid ambers. Inside the heart is 10,000 flowers called Agapanthus or Lilies of the Nile. I love them. The trees were planted about 20 years ago on our ranch in New Zealand.
The Rosie Heart is a love tribute to my wife of 50 years, Rosalie.
The Agapanthus are a hearty and lovely flower of either blue or white. Oddly enough they are considered weeds in only one country of the world, New Zealand. Which is nonsense as we have 265 acres and they grow and flourish only where we plant them. The nursery men don't like them as they are too easy to grow and hence they got the government of New Zealand to go along like sheep to their whim.
Any way I had a drone take a photo of the heart. You can also find it on Google maps as The Rosie Heart of BusinessWorks of New Zealand on Google

It is 400 trees that are now over 30 feet tall and turn red for about 7 days a year. The trees are liquid ambers. Inside the heart is 10,000 flowers called Agapanthus or Lilies of the Nile. I love them. The trees were planted about 20 years ago on our ranch in New Zealand.
The Agapanthus are a hearty and lovely flower of either blue or white. Oddly enough they are considered weeds in only one country of the world, New Zealand. Which is nonsense as we have 265 acres and they grow and flourish only where we plant them. The nursery men don't like them as they are too easy to grow and hence they got the government of New Zealand to go along like sheep to their whim.
Any way I had a drone take a photo of the heart. You can also find it on Google maps as The Rosie Heart of BusinessWorks of New Zealand on Google

Wow that is amazing!!!

When I phoned the Hilton Hampton Inn in Sierra Vista and asked if they had a Tesla charger the front desk did not have a clue. But when she consulted with her superior she said "Yes we have one but it is occupied"
I went ahead and charged up at the Ft Willcox RV Park1765 W. Ft Willcox Loop,Willcox, AZ 85643 and drove south to Sierra Vista. That night there were a total of 3 Teslas charging. And the ONLY reason we were there was for the Tesla Destination Charger. But hotels are not convinced to put the free charger in to their hotels.

P1050353.JPG

The Agapanthus are a hearty and lovely flower of either blue or white. Oddly enough they are considered weeds in only one country of the world, New Zealand. ...
This is wonderful! Just in case anybody else does not know, agapanthus is itself a tribute to love. It is from the Greek
agape=love +anthos=flower
in addition, since Greek has quite a few words for love, agape is the highest form of love, unconditional, universal surpassing any events.
We had a house for 25 years that had a wide variety of agapanthus africanus and agapanthus praecox (the latter the one regarded as a pest in NZ), in both different shades of blue and white. I planted them for my spouse of 40 years.

This might be OT from Van Horn, Texas so I must point out that agapanthus africanus, especially, is drought tolerant and would live happily in Van Horn, right beside the EV chargers.

This is wonderful! Just in case anybody else does not know, agapanthus is itself a tribute to love. It is from the Greek
agape=love +anthos=flower
in addition, since Greek has quite a few words for love, agape is the highest form of love, unconditional, universal surpassing any events.
We had a house for 25 years that had a wide variety of agapanthus africanus and agapanthus praecox (the latter the one regarded as a pest in NZ), in both different shades of blue and white. I planted them for my spouse of 40 years.

This might be OT from Van Horn, Texas so I must point out that agapanthus africanus, especially, is drought tolerant and would live happily in Van Horn, right beside the EV chargers.

Thank you for that info.
And the flower is not affected by light use of round up like products so you can control the weeds around the plantings. We used them to also hold the soil as the root structure was so good.
Coral Gables is one of our favorite spots and we were there about a month ago as we drove around Florida during our 18K miles of adventures. Love the remodeling their are doing to the main street in Coral Gables.
A Tesla photographs well there.

Thank you for that info.
And the flower is not affected by light use of round up like products so you can control the weeds around the plantings. We used them to also hold the soil as the root structure was so good.
Coral Gables is one of our favorite spots and we were there about a month ago as we drove around Florida during our 18K miles of adventures. Love the remodeling their are doing to the main street in Coral Gables.
A Tesla photographs well there.
If you are there when we are there it would be nice to meet. Right now were in Rio de Janeiro.

If you are there when we are there it would be nice to meet. Right now were in Rio de Janeiro.

I fly over 100,000 miles a year and who knows where I will be at any moment. Rio I have not actually been there but would like to private email with you on your adventure there. I have been to 65 countries. Next adventure is in 3 weeks to Israel. Then Canada, then USA, then Australia and then New Zealand for an operation on Feb 15 on my knee. Otherwise I am just sitting around doing nothing but checking out Tesla charging stations.
Today we are in Tucson, AZ. Lots of destination chargers here. I am staying at the Hampton Inn 251 S Wilmot Rd, Tucson, AZ 85711. No Tesla charger but there are 2 Blinks 50 feet away. But here they have the 20 amp plugs which charge up at 4 mph and so after 16 hours we are full.
Tomorrow we officially go to the Casa Grande site and finish the 670 mile open gap mission.