Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TuneIn and Spotify with Premium interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that Spotify and TuneIn are included with the premium interior, the question is do you need to login with a Spotify/TuneIn premium account or does it just "work" from the car?

They give you the option to use your own premium account or us the Tesla account which is useful.

I however find it a bit sketchy with it not playing most of the time and have started just using phone streaming which is annoying

• Helpful
Reactions: nikhon
I know that Spotify and TuneIn are included with the premium interior, the question is do you need to login with a Spotify/TuneIn premium account or does it just "work" from the car?

It just works. There is an option to sign in, but this is not necessary. It seems that the car arrives with a shadow account as it remembers what you have previously played.

I have been using the shadow account, but am finding it does not always remember where you left off. I was contemplating signing up to Spotify to use an account as I assume this gives me greater control over creation of playlists etc.

Other than GSM blindspots and a delay to recover from loss of connection, I have found the streaming to be pretty good. Not great, as things such as access to the recent stations, streams etc. could be easier to get to and with better structure. For example, I like listening to podcasts, but managing where you are in a series essential means re-searching and reloading each time. The title of podcasts also makes it difficult to see which ones you have and have not listened to.

Does anyone know of the benefits of having own account vs shadow account?

I have been using the shadow account, but am finding it does not always remember where you left off. I was contemplating signing up to Spotify to use an account as I assume this gives me greater control over creation of playlists etc.

Other than GSM blindspots and a delay to recover from loss of connection, I have found the streaming to be pretty good. Not great, as things such as access to the recent stations, streams etc. could be easier to get to and with better structure. For example, I like listening to podcasts, but managing where you are in a series essential means re-searching and reloading each time. The title of podcasts also makes it difficult to see which ones you have and have not listened to.

Does anyone know of the benefits of having own account vs shadow account?

Unfortunately even using your own Spotify login won't give you more control. One of the standout features about Spotify is that it curates your playlists and offers suggestions to new songs based on your listening habits but the implementation by Tesla is very basic and does not have this feature. It doesn't even show your 'Made for...' playlists as an option when signed in with your own account. All it really shows is the basic Spotify playlists and allows you to search for specific songs/artists (this might be enough for most people).

This is a real shame as i believe in the US, the Slacker implementation in Tesla allows users to like and dislike songs and the systems uses this to suggest other songs.

I guess my main point is there is no advantage from having your own account, just use the one provided by Tesla

• Disagree
Reactions: vitesse
Is TuneIn by subscription normally?

I have used TuneIn and never needed any account.

TuneIn basically seems to be a directory of other global audio feeds, just in an easy to access format. Normally you can just access these feeds via a URL or audio system, its just easier with TuneIn if you want to go browsing. I don't know if Tesla system can access these feeds by URL and not via TuneIn.

BUT... BBC have recently tightened access to its audio feeds from UK without using a BBC account of some form. So most third party aggregators have modified their systems to fulfil this obligation. It doesn't yet (may never happen) seem to affect accessing the URL direct, so my Roon music system still works. But Tidal seem not to have catered for BBC wishes, so BBC have, as of end of August, pulled the plug on them - UK only I believe. So, no BBC stations on TuneIn apparently - thankfully there is still DAB and FM.

Changes to access of BBC live radio streams on selected TuneIn platforms in the UK

So I’ve played with this for a while now.

TuneIn - As a Scot exiled in Wales one of the reasons I was happy to have TuneIn as part of the Model 3’s media interface was so that I could listen to BBC Radio Scotland, Radio Clyde etc. Largely for fitbaw. However the BBC removed their stations from TuneIn as per the earlier post. And Radio Clyde never loads in the car, despite it definitely being available on the TuneIn app on my mobile. It’s also in my favourites on the TuneIn mobile app and I’ve signed into my TuneIn account in the car too, but the station doesn’t show up. Seems strange. I’d assumed that the Tesla TuneIn would be exactly the same as elsewhere, but it seems not. My other favourite channels do show up.

Spotify - I don’t have a Spotify account as I subscribe to Apple Music. Shame I can’t access that Apple Music via the car interface but I know many before me have moaned about that. So I use Spotify in the car and find it works fine to browse music, select an album and play it. A wee bit limited and best to browse when stationary not driving, but good enough in terms of access to the Spotify catalogue.

Unfortunately even using your own Spotify login won't give you more control. One of the standout features about Spotify is that it curates your playlists and offers suggestions to new songs based on your listening habits but the implementation by Tesla is very basic and does not have this feature. It doesn't even show your 'Made for...' playlists as an option when signed in with your own account. All it really shows is the basic Spotify playlists and allows you to search for specific songs/artists (this might be enough for most people).

This is a real shame as i believe in the US, the Slacker implementation in Tesla allows users to like and dislike songs and the systems uses this to suggest other songs.

I guess my main point is there is no advantage from having your own account, just use the one provided by Tesla
But you can easily access your own playlists by signing in to your account. You can't do that without signing in.

Reactions: Rooster6655

TuneIn - As a Scot exiled in Wales one of the reasons I was happy to have TuneIn as part of the Model 3’s media interface was so that I could listen to BBC Radio Scotland, Radio Clyde etc. Largely for fitbaw. However the BBC removed their stations from TuneIn as per the earlier post. And Radio Clyde never loads in the car, despite it definitely being available on the TuneIn app on my mobile. It’s also in my favourites on the TuneIn mobile app and I’ve signed into my TuneIn account in the car too, but the station doesn’t show up. Seems strange. I’d assumed that the Tesla TuneIn would be exactly the same as elsewhere, but it seems not. My other favourite channels do show up.

Spotify - I don’t have a Spotify account as I subscribe to Apple Music. Shame I can’t access that Apple Music via the car interface but I know many before me have moaned about that. So I use Spotify in the car and find it works fine to browse music, select an album and play it. A wee bit limited and best to browse when stationary not driving, but good enough in terms of access to the Spotify catalogue.

I'm a Deezer subscriber but a friend lets me use a spare Spotify Family account slot for the car.

I wonder if some of the URL’s TuneIn is accessing need a Uk IP? Perhaps Radio Clyde only wants UK ones and your data connection is saying you’re in Holland. I could check this on my laptop as I use Nord VPN amd could simulate it. If I remember tomorrow, I’ll try it. Been a while since I used TuneIn so apols if I’ve just spouted b@llocks there.