Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn off park assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to complete turn off the new Park Assist feature?
Not just the chime but that it won't show on the screen at all
I don't know the answer but I'd be interested to hear the detailed motivation for the question. Right now Park Assist is not functionally useful for me. In fact it seems more challenging than driving without it in and out of my tight garage. I've had it installed only 3 days ago and I've been living in hope with the theory that the computer software will better learn the layout of my garage and become helpful rather than calling for me to stop inappropriately. I have the impression the software is conceived to help you in a typical outdoor parking lot whereas my situation is getting in and out of a garage door only 89 inches wide. It shows lines on either side of the car that seem so tight the car could be in contact. Even without the mirrors folded there is 5.15 inches greater door width than car width, and folding the mirrors adds another 5.9 inches of clearance (combined both sides - about an inch less than foot is the amount by which door width exceeds car width - you might hope the display would help you centre the car in that gap but instead the display shows no clearance either side. Once you get through the door there is adequate width to open doors on one side and lots of room on the other. There is no problem with that and no problem is depicted. However, it seems the software wants me to stop the car with about 16 inches room in front, and it is better to have about 12 inches in the available space. The software does not allow any adjustment of alarm settings that I have noted. I am hoping over time it will refine the guidance offered for getting the car through the door. The centring concept does not seem present in the software and would be useful given that available clearance is about 5 1/2 inches on either side (folded mirrors).

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Is there a way to complete turn off the new Park Assist feature?
Not just the chime but that it won't show on the screen at all
At this moment no you cannot just completely turn off the Park Assist feature but only the Park Assist chimes which I think most people would find annoying. I am not ready to give up on Park Assist yet because I think Tesla can tweak the occupancy model to bit a little bit more aggressive in its estimation on the front side bumper. I still think Tesla being conservative in the initial rollout is the appropriate thing. The last thing Tesla needs is that the Park Assist was too aggressive and people are hitting their front and rear bumpers.

Reactions: Wu01ok and laservet
Will someone please provide a screenshot of park assist as you drive forward approach a wall in your garage? What does the screen look like? Does it give you inches or cm and indicate when to stop? Like USS did? TIA
No screenshot needed, its useless so far. It counts down inches, but hits 0 and tells me to stop when I am still about 30" actual away from the front wall. I still don't know how they can make it better than this when the front camera cannot see the bumper or anywhere near it.

Will someone please provide a screenshot of park assist as you drive forward approach a wall in your garage? What does the screen look like? Does it give you inches or cm and indicate when to stop? Like USS did? TIA
Here’s a screenshot of Park Assist on the screen. There’s more than 14 inches of clearance in the back to be sure.

39F84F07-EB0A-451A-A0A6-4AF91A7F9AB4.jpeg

Without a camera in the front, does the 14" shown by the car, really measure out to 14" from front bumper to objects? TIA
It’s a guesstimate at best it seems. Thanks for pointing that out as that 14” is actually front clearance not rear - below is a pic of the actual front clearance for reference. FYI - that’s a good bit less than 14” to be clear. It’s actually less than one foot - closer to half what the Park Assist is estimating.

C3E6BEA3-839A-4A42-A58A-8EAB97464E74.jpeg

It’s a guesstimate at best it seems. Thanks for pointing that out as that 14” is actually front clearance not rear - below is a pic of the actual front clearance for reference. FYI - that’s a good bit less than 14” to be clear. It’s actually less than one foot - closer to half what the Park Assist is estimating.

View attachment 926233
Glad to see it is very conservative. USS wasn't that precise and conservative as well. Thank you.

Reactions: HitchHiker71