Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn signal sound too quiet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we bought the car, the turn signal lights were much larger. Don't understand why Tesla made them barely visible starting on the second last update. As far as the chime volume, it's fine with me, so no issues there. But I read that 'Joe mode' made them quieter. Do you have that on? If yes, you could turn it off to have louder turn-signals. Hope this helps. I just wish for larger turn-signal lights on the screen (are you listening, Elon? :) ).

When we bought the car, the turn signal lights were much larger. Don't understand why Tesla made them barely visible starting on the second last update. As far as the chime volume, it's fine with me, so no issues there. But I read that 'Joe mode' made them quieter. Do you have that on? If yes, you could turn it off to have louder turn-signals. Hope this helps. I just wish for larger turn-signal lights on the screen (are you listening, Elon? :) ).
It's off. Music up 2/3 of the way is enough to totally drown out the signal volume yet I can still hear normal talking volume in the car with passengers.

Light for Signals should be bigger. A dash view would be nice after all. Might not complain then actually.

On my wife's Model 3, the sound from the turn signals is so quiet that we often can't hear it. Does anyone else notice this? When my father test drove the 3, he also commented it was too quiet.

We also have the feature enabled that "dings" when you go over the speed limit (by 5 mph). This ding is significantly louder than the turn signal (and even louder than the ding on my Model S). However, the turn signals on the 3 are much, much quieter than the S.

Is this something everyone is noticing, or it just us?

I wish is was a little louder also.

Thank you ZapCarM3. Notice that Meros didn't come back on again after silly insulting remarks. I have good hearing, but still screw up once in a while. I drive many different cars and feel isn't the same in the different signal stocks. The Tesla in one of the best. I see many of my older friends driving down the freeway with the blinker going after lane changing. A little respect for the older crowd should be given. I would think that little bright green light blinking respectively in each corner of the screen should be standard on all cars for safety. I think if there was an adjustment for the blinker sound level many people would never find it in the maze of stuff on the Tesla screen.

Thank you ZapCarM3. Notice that Meros didn't come back on again after silly insulting remarks. I have good hearing, but still screw up once in a while. I drive many different cars and feel isn't the same in the different signal stocks. The Tesla in one of the best. I see many of my older friends driving down the freeway with the blinker going after lane changing. A little respect for the older crowd should be given. I would think that little bright green light blinking respectively in each corner of the screen should be standard on all cars for safety. I think if there was an adjustment for the blinker sound level many people would never find it in the maze of stuff on the Tesla screen.
They might not but anyone looking for it would probably find it. And the idea that this would be an overkill feature is out the window when you realize how many other ridiculous and buried things are in the software. Many of which most people know about and can access.

And yeah those dumb remarks are on the level of suggesting you just turn up your music louder if you think the wind noise is a bit much. Or maybe shoving chopsticks in your eardrums until they stop working so that your nagging wife's voice can't get to you anymore.

Dumb and boring logic/humor.

I agree, the turn signal indicator is too quiet for me too (I have perfect hearing), would be nice to have an option to increase the sound, and also the size of the visual indicator. I have 2020 model y perf.

I agree, the turn signal indicator is too quiet for me too (I have perfect hearing), would be nice to have an option to increase the sound, and also the size of the visual indicator. I have 2020 model y perf.
Yeah good to see more people want this. It's not a hearing issue. Like my music being on normal volume drowns it out completely sometimes. You can barely see the signal or hear it. We should have one at least be more obvious. This is where a dashboard would be cool like the S. Might get that aftermarket one.

I also find the indicator volume is too low, compounded by needing to use the full click indicator on highways.
Road rules in our country require indicating 3 seconds before changing lanes and then during so the soft 3 flash can never really be used.
Definately an issue for me with low volume on top of less clear indicators (not in your face like most ICE).

Especially since the turn signal actuation is more of a button that requires deliberate contact at each detent, rather than like every other vehicle which activates the signal once the stalk leaves the detent, I often miss activation.

My hearing is fine and I often find myself looking at the screen to confirm the signal is on. I probably won’t think about it after posting this, but I certainly wouldn’t mind a volume adjustment.

Of note, I do have the system in Joe Mode because most of the other system alerts are too loud, but it didn’t occur to me this might also be diminishing turn signal volume.

Reactions: Perscitus and tm1v2
Especially since the turn signal actuation is more of a button that requires deliberate contact at each detent, rather than like every other vehicle which activates the signal once the stalk leaves the detent, I often miss activation.

My hearing is fine and I often find myself looking at the screen to confirm the signal is on. I probably won’t think about it after posting this, but I certainly wouldn’t mind a volume adjustment.

Of note, I do have the system in Joe Mode because most of the other system alerts are too loud, but it didn’t occur to me this might also be diminishing turn signal volume.
Yeah it was just Joe Mode :p . But, I’ll accept it relative to the sharpness of other system sounds without the attenuation.