Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turned away by Tesla store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a stupid story. Thanks for sharing and I understand where you are coming from. That’s kind of why I agreed to take the red one thinking I could just overlook it but I can’t. It also gets way too much attention and I don’t like people looking at me. It also shows every scratch and flaw very good.

I can't argue with 'attention' aspect. Every 'boy racer' on the street wanted us to race them on city streets, which is a potential crash in the making whether or not I participate. It makes me embarrassed to be seen as a public menace when I'm not a street racer. If I could make eye contact, I'd point at their car, smile, and give them the thumbs up, then shake my head while still smiling to concede their Civic Type R is both very cool and is too fast for me. Normally that works. But I really want to go hide behind a rock.

Reactions: Pentium2004
I can't argue with 'attention' aspect. Every 'boy racer' on the street wanted us to race them on city streets, which is a potential crash in the making whether or not I participate. It makes me embarrassed to be seen as a public menace when I'm not a street racer. If I could make eye contact, I'd point at their car, smile, and give them the thumbs up, then shake my head while still smiling to concede their Civic Type R is both very cool and is too fast for me. Normally that works. But I really want to go hide behind a rock.

Lol exactly how I feel. I hate getting stuck behind a school bus because almost every stop the kids get out and start pointing at me. You'd swear I was riding a unicorn or something with the amount of kids looking at me.

@Pentium2004, I think you'll be shocked at how much they will give you in trade-in on another car. They sell them for the amount people will pay. They buy them back for what they are worth.

Sorry that you can't deal with different people than the ones that you feel mistreated you. I'm sure emotions got a little hot during the issues you had, with employees trying to protect their jobs, and supervisors trying to protect their employees. It is unlikely you will get a trade-in price any different if you are dealing with people you have had problems with or people who don't know you at all. I tried to trade my car in to the sales manager I had bought my car through, who had become almost like a daughter to us. The price we were quoted was just insulting. It's just a calculation -- they have no control. If, truly, all you want is the numbers, then it really does not matter who you deal with. I think it's unlikely it will be a worse trade-in value because there is a history.

I was definitely shocked. They just called and offered $61k for a car I bought 2 months ago for $90k and only has 2,000 miles.

I was definitely shocked. They just called and offered $61k for a car I bought 2 months ago for $90k and only has 2,000 miles.
That red is sounding pretty good.

As to the wraps, I'm afraid it might be a little more than the numbers people are quoting. Those are likely the price to wrap the outside of the car, but that does not include the inside of the doors and the door jambs. Changing the car from red to white would pretty much require those to be done, too.

Which again left you seeing Red,

Not your favorite color,

Sounds to me like you trusted them, expected a higher level of service?
You are not alone in this.
Tesla's SC model unfortunately does not solve the problem of finding good help.
Creating and defining a large company and culture is a whole 'nother level of difficult detail.

Car biz is still the car biz, regardless of how you dress it up, or whose pockets get the money.
The shortcoming of the Tesla model to me is no commissioned sales pros.
Another sore subject. NVM.

Try not to take all of this personally.
That is the hardest part, for sure.
Hope you find happiness with the car.

(White Wrap!)

• Informative
Reactions: Pentium2004
Which again left you seeing Red,

Not your favorite color,

Sounds to me like you trusted them, expected a higher level of service?
You are not alone in this.
Tesla's SC model unfortunately does not solve the problem of finding good help.
Creating and defining a large company and culture is a whole 'nother level of difficult detail.

Car biz is still the car biz, regardless of how you dress it up, or whose pockets get the money.
The shortcoming of the Tesla model to me is no commissioned sales pros.
Another sore subject. NVM.

Try not to take all of this personally.
That is the hardest part, for sure.
Hope you find happiness with the car.

(White Wrap!)

It might just have to be a wrap even though I really wasn't looking to do that. I had the front done in xpel just because it was chipping so fast. Luckily it was cheap so I won't feel bad ripping it off for a wrap.

Reactions: Icer
Not understanding how what I just posted isn't factual. I didn't get any killer deal or anything like that. I believe the first car had maybe $1,000 deduction because it had 100 miles on it. The first one was the color I wanted but without the options I was told. This was my first time buying a Tesla so I relied on my sales person to answer my questions. I have emails and text messages that back up everything. If Tesla did nothing wrong why did they buy the car back?
Sorry to make a "too late" suggestion but I would not trust anything (or very little) of what a car salesperson says. When I ordered my MS 75D in late Aug. 2017 I watched a ton of Youtube Videos (mainly on autopilot) and I read a lot of threads from here. I had never bought an Electric Car before or a Car with Advanced Driver Assist. And, when the salesperson said we could look for inventory to match my exact car I really was not interested but let him look and he did not find a match. I did ask him a few questions for clarification. One was, what is the difference between AP2.0 and AP2.5 Cars which was the change on all cars made after some time in July 2017. His answer was there was NO DIFFERENCE. Like AP2.5 was folk lore. Only something I would read on the Internet. He did not actually use those exact words but that is what he was trying to imply. We kind of got into a stronger debate since I do not allow those kind of comments to just go without a challenge. I said you mean that there is a hardware difference but the affect on AP performance is none (trying to let him off the hook). His reply AGAIN, was NO, there is NO Difference. I believe he even went so far to say the HARDWARE is EXACTLY THE SAME. At that point I gave up. Most other aspects he seemed to know what he was talking about because I already knew the answer and he was making sense. At 68 years old I have a lot of experience in never trusting sales people (not just on cars but on computers which has been my background). Really sorry you had such a BAD Experience. BTW.. I got choose BLUE (pretty much every car I have gotten is Blue). But my wife loves RED and I considered getting a RED to change things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
You have never explained why you took delivery of either car. Sorry to make a "too late" suggestion but I would not trust anything (or very little) of what a car salesperson says. When I ordered my MS 75D in late Aug. 2017 I watched a ton of Youtube Videos (mainly on autopilot) and I read a lot of threads from here. I had never bought an Electric Car before or a Car with Advanced Driver Assist. And, when the salesperson said we could look for inventory to match my exact car I really was not interested but let him look and he did not find a match. I did ask him a few questions for clarification. One was, what is the difference between AP2.0 and AP2.5 Cars which was the change on all cars made after some time in July 2017. His answer was there was NO DIFFERENCE. Like AP2.5 was folk lore. Only something I would read on the Internet. He did not actually use those exact words but that is what he was trying to imply. We kind of got into a stronger debate since I do not allow those kind of comments to just go without a challenge. I said you mean that there is a hardware difference but the affect on AP performance is none (trying to let him off the hook). His reply AGAIN, was NO, there is NO Difference. I believe he even went so far to say the HARDWARE is EXACTLY THE SAME. At that point I gave up. Most other aspects he seemed to know what he was talking about because I already knew the answer and he was making sense. At 68 years old I have a lot of experience in never trusting sales people (not just on cars but on computers which has been my background). Really sorry you had such a BAD Experience. BTW.. I got choose BLUE (pretty much every car I have gotten is Blue). But my wife loves RED and I considered getting a RED to change things up.

Took delivery of the first because it appeared to be correct but couldn't drive it with the roof missing on the day of signing. I signed the paperwork without driving it because I trusted them (big mistake on my part). Second car just because I felt I had no other option. In regards to your story that seems to be a very common thing among them. I mentioned a few things to SC about the lack of missing adaptive headlights and how people are successfully get thing them changed right now and they acted like they had never heard that before. The second delivery I had learned a bit and looked on here of what to look for. The crazy thing is almost everything on the checklist needed to be addressed showing they still have the same problems. I was looking at the steering wheel and they asked what I was looking at. I said that I read online that the steering wheel is often crooked and again they had no knowledge of that. The steering wheel ended up being nearly 10 degrees off center.

The color is the only issue now. I know it's stupid but when you wait and save up to get your dream car you want the color you want. I've considered a wrap but it really sucks to have to spend a few thousand to change the color for a mistake Tesla sales made.

Too bad you didn't wait until the color was available in inventory and kind of feel that is on you for ordering it. So while Tesla might have messed up, they offered you another car and you made the decision to knowingly order something you really didn't want. Continuing to blame Tesla at this point doesn't make sense.

Right now I'm torn between two colors on a Model 3 and if I ended up with something else, I know I would be less than happy too so get your feeling. I will say about the wrap though, that if this is really your dream car, getting it color wrapped with give it paint protection and keep the car from having all those pitted spots on it. We did a full body wrap on our car and it's already saved it from a few flying debris moments and one fence post. We went with Xpel Ultimate as it was their thickest wrap and felt it offered the best protection.

BTW the Multi pattern black seats have been a mixture of leather primarily on the bolster parts, or now faux leather I guess, and fabric since at least since we ordered back in Dec. 2016. Not sure how "multi-pattern" could be anything but a fabric.

Consider your options and hope you end up happy.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this was a CPO? Too bad you didn't wait until the color was available in inventory and kind of feel that is on you for ordering it. So while Tesla might have messed up, Right now I'm torn between two colors on a Model 3 and if I ended up with something else, I know I would be less than happy too so get your feeling. I will say about the wrap though that if this is really your dream, getting it color wrapped with give it paint protection and keep the car from having all those pitted spots on it.

This was new inventory. I don't think you saw all the other posts. The first car was the right color wrong options. No option to wait for one to show up.

@Pentium2004 I am sorry for your troubles and I agree this originated from a Tesla mistake. The sales people should know their stuff, they are not even dealerships but Tesla employees...

Beyond that, I do have to side with @bonnie here: you made your bed when you accepted the red car as the solution to the mistake. While it was in an unfortunate situation, you should have refused that one, assuming you really did not want it, and sought alternatives through escalation.

You can still affect the outcome personally, though. If I were you, I'd make the best of it. Enjoy the great car. Learn to love the red, make it an adventure. Or wrap as some say.

That said, I do wish you'd get more help with your first question: Why did the Tesla store of your choice turn you away? Is that policy? They should at least give you a quote, no matter how abysmal that is unfortunately going to be...

No I hadn't read all the comments at that point and then edited my post when I saw that but looks like before you went to answer. I will say that you really had a bad experience from the start with the roof of the first car and the interior issues. I honestly am surprised with the roof out of it that they scheduled you for delivery on it. I can also understand not wanting to deal with the same staff but just guessing here that it's on their books and the other dealership didn't want to handle it because of that.

FWIW after reading through all the posts now I do feel for you and what you've had to go through.

Last edited:
To any folks who work in the sales/delivery end of Tesla, or anywhere else, in dealing with the public
I have found the best way to deal if you do not know something,
say "I don't know, but I will find out".
Then find out.

Especially dealing with Tesla, these are very well informed buyers,
are likely to know more about the car than you.

If you bluff on something they know? You lose their confidence.

Repeat: "I don't know, but I will find out."
Then find out.

Thanks. The people you deal with will thank you too.

What's there to be shocked about? You're buying a significantly depreciating asset -- not an investment. Plus, Tesla will make a profit on it so the actual depreciation is less than their offer, if you sold it privately. Even cheaper cars depreciate at a high rate, where upgraded tech is not the same as today's Teslas which are more like extremely expensive smartphones than vehicles. If you don't like what you get for the price, at the time you buy it, then don't buy. Because when you do, and drive it off the lot, its value will drop significantly, and the latest and greatest will come out shortly thereafter. That's the just the facts of life with today's technology. Some only lease because of it but even the best of the leases still account for the significant depreciation.

CarDepreciationInfo.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
To any folks who work in the sales/delivery end of Tesla, or anywhere else, in dealing with the public
I have found the best way to deal if you do not know something,
say "I don't know, but I will find out".
Then find out.

Especially dealing with Tesla, these are very well informed buyers,
are likely to know more about the car than you.

If you bluff on something they know? You lose their confidence.

Repeat: "I don't know, but I will find out."
Then find out.

Thanks. The people you deal with will thank you too.
Some of the SC personnel do say they are not sure and will find out -- I've had it happen. Unfortunately, their source when they found out was to ask a tech, who gave them the wrong information. I couldn't discuss it with them any further, because the Lord hath spoken.

The root of the problem is so clear... you live in Florida .....mystery solved

I agree with others wrapp it in some cool color that no one else has and enjoy

One slightly critical point how can someone claim to have OCD and not know exactly what he was getting.......?i sense a misdiagnosis

• Funny
Reactions: Icer and brkaus