Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tuxmat Happiness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you buy the Taptes Trunk protection? How did they work out? I couldn't decide and now have the car... [EDIT: Reviews for TAPTES are less than glowing... I may keep looking]

I just put my Tuxmats in (they had been in a box since shipped last time I posted. They fit is good most places except the driver side. The mat that lines the bulkhead to the right of your right leg bows outwards. I've left the mats in and hopefully they will soften and fit but if not, it would be annoying to constantly have the mat against your leg when driving. (I took out the Tesla carpets before installing. I also noticed that the mats sit a little higher than where the plastic meets the carpet (have not put clips in yet).
For the mat poking out, use extra velcro fasteners along the edge, it will hold it down. I think I ended up using 5 more, because it was too annoying for me. Now it lays perfectly.
In terms of the TAPTES trunk protection, I absolutely love them. They fit about as well as I could hope. Now I will say, if you plan on moving them in and out frequently then I would not buy them. They will pull up the carpet because of the velcro, but they have kept spills in place, they cover the back of the seats as well for when I have had to haul lumbar (although I also used a tarp). I would buy these again in a heartbeat. This is how Tuxmats trunk mats should be.

Did you buy the Taptes Trunk protection? How did they work out? I couldn't decide and now have the car... [EDIT: Reviews for TAPTES are less than glowing... I may keep looking]

I just put my Tuxmats in (they had been in a box since shipped last time I posted. They fit is good most places except the driver side. The mat that lines the bulkhead to the right of your right leg bows outwards. I've left the mats in and hopefully they will soften and fit but if not, it would be annoying to constantly have the mat against your leg when driving. (I took out the Tesla carpets before installing. I also noticed that the mats sit a little higher than where the plastic meets the carpet (have not put clips in yet).
I have the exact same situation. All mats, including trunk/frunk fit great except for the driver side which bows out even with use of clips. I suspect the console side is cut too high and was wondering if it was just a production flaw with my particular mat. I’ve tried repositioning the mat multiple times and it still bows out too far to the point that it is bothersome due to the close proximity to the pedal.

I’ve been in contact with Tuxmat and, frankly, their helpfulness has been disappointing (instructing me to watch the videos on installing, which I’ve already watched multiple times, offer to send me more clips, which I have plenty of).

I otherwise love the mats but think it’s likely I’m going to have to find another style for the driver side. My Tesla delivery was delayed so many months that the return period for the mats has long passed.

If someone on this forum could share a photo of their install showing clip placement near the console on the driver side and if/how much the mat bows out, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same situation. All mats, including trunk/frunk fit great except for the driver side which bows out even with use of clips. I suspect the console side is cut too high and was wondering if it was just a production flaw with my particular mat. I’ve tried repositioning the mat multiple times and it still bows out too far to the point that it is bothersome due to the close proximity to the pedal.

I’ve been in contact with Tuxmat and, frankly, their helpfulness has been disappointing (instructing me to watch the videos on installing, which I’ve already watched multiple times, offer to send me more clips, which I have plenty of).

I otherwise love the mats but think it’s likely I’m going to have to find another style for the driver side. My Tesla delivery was delayed so many months that the return period for the mats has long passed.

If someone on this forum could share a photo of their install showing clip placement near the console on the driver side and if/how much the mat bows out, it would be greatly appreciated.
I've put in clips and agree with your assessment the right hand side is cut too big. I've stretched and pushed into all the corners but the right side does not sit flush. I too bought a while ago afraid they would be oos when my delivery came. Glad I didn't but their trunk mats after this experience.

I've put in clips and agree with your assessment the right hand side is cut too big. I've stretched and pushed into all the corners but the right side does not sit flush. I too bought a while ago afraid they would be oos when my delivery came. Glad I didn't but their trunk mats after this experience.
And now they've sent me an ad - if I post a reel with my Tuxmat, they will give me a $20 coupon... I wonder if my demonstration on the fit would get me $20... I don't think I'll be buying any more at this time.

On my new MYP my tuxmat does the same thing too...my remedy was to put two very large Velcro patches from amazin to the inside of the liner. You just heat up the sticky side of Velcro for extra adhesion to the liner...works great! These are the best mats period!

Those look amazing. But sometimes I just have to take the mats out to clean them and they look like to much work to get out and in ;). So I keep getting MaxPiders. Sometimes I clean in place and sometimes if really trashed it’s easier to pull them out. Which only takes a few seconds.

Does anyone with Tuxmats find the raised ridges annoying? My friend got them for his Alfa SUV and I hated 1) how it reduced leg room 2) raised ridges caught my foot at all the wrong times and most of all 3) how they squeaked when my sneakers rubbed against them.

I need to get 3rd party liners for my new Y but I don't know about the Tuxmats. I like how the tray rims are a lot higher than other manufacturers but don't like super bulky liners that close in the leg room.

I bought a set and like everything about them but one thing. They prevent fitting the under seat drawers.
I was past my return date since Tesla delayed me once I got in the two week window.

I decided to cut the part of the mat that is right against the seat rails straight across. The drawers fit fine now. It's not the solution I wanted but it works and covers the footwell. Tuxmat needs to do some tweaking to handle those underseat drawers.

Does anyone with Tuxmats find the raised ridges annoying? My friend got them for his Alfa SUV and I hated 1) how it reduced leg room 2) raised ridges caught my foot at all the wrong times and most of all 3) how they squeaked when my sneakers rubbed against them.

I need to get 3rd party liners for my new Y but I don't know about the Tuxmats. I like how the tray rims are a lot higher than other manufacturers but don't like super bulky liners that close in the leg room.
I am actually not sure what you mean by the raised ridges reducing legroom. I am 6’2”, don’t know if that is tall, average or short to you, but the legroom feels the same as without the Tuxmats. I love the raised ridges because it gives more coverage and protects better, but like I said, I have had any issues with legroom.

Reactions: bfayer62
I bought a set and like everything about them but one thing. They prevent fitting the under seat drawers.
I was past my return date since Tesla delayed me once I got in the two week window.

I decided to cut the part of the mat that is right against the seat rails straight across. The drawers fit fine now. It's not the solution I wanted but it works and covers the footwell. Tuxmat needs to do some tweaking to handle those underseat drawers.
You are exactly right…that is my only gripe. I had to remove the drawers and use two Tesla Cable Carriers under the seats. I actually ended up liking them better than the drawers.

I am actually not sure what you mean by the raised ridges reducing legroom. I am 6’2”, don’t know if that is tall, average or short to you, but the legroom feels the same as without the Tuxmats. I love the raised ridges because it gives more coverage and protects better, but like I said, I have had any issues with legroom.
The ridges and the thickness of the mat itself is about an inch. Isn’t much but that’s an inch lost in legroom. Especially if you put them on top of the standard floor mats. Then 1 1/2 inches lost. Coupled with the lips next to the center consoles (that aren’t quite flush with the center console) and that’s an inch at the bottom and an inch on the side lost. Maybe my friend’s Alfa Stelvio just had very little leg room to begin with, but I started to feel claustrophobic in there after he put the tuxmats in.

Also, the ridges on the driver’s side seem to catch my heel the wrong way all the time when I try to slide my heel forward on the mat to get to the brake/gas pedal.

The mats also don’t fit the minimalist style of Teslas. Too cute with too much pattern. It’s like the Honda Civic rear end - the designers couldn’t stop designing.

Finally, the weird rubber also “rubbed me the wrong way.” Shifting my weight around cause a lot of squeaks with my rubber- soled sneakers which drove me nuts on a long road trip. I just want some simple rubber floor trays with a slightly raised lip. I live in SoCal so no snow and not much rain. So I don’t really need deep tall lips to hold mud or snow.

Any recommendations? I had good experiences with Weathertech for my suburban but that was back in 2000 so not sure if they’re still any good.

Last edited:
I just noticed that Tesla sells their own floor mats. They look great actually and look exactly like what I need: simple, clean looking, color-matched black, thin but rugged, lip just the right height. Even has the logo on them. Only problem? Crazy pricing. They’re $480 for a 5 piece set. $85 on top of that if you want the small rear trunk storage bin mats.

Anybody spring for these and can give their opinion on them?

The ridges and the thickness of the mat itself is about an inch. Isn’t much but that’s an inch lost in legroom. Especially if you put them on top of the standard floor mats. Then 1 1/2 inches lost. Coupled with the lips next to the center consoles (that aren’t quite flush with the center console) and that’s an inch at the bottom and an inch on the side lost. Maybe my friend’s Alfa Stelvio just had very little leg room to begin with, but I started to feel claustrophobic in there after he put the tuxmats in.

Also, the ridges on the driver’s side seem to catch my heel the wrong way all the time when I try to slide my heel forward on the mat to get to the brake/gas pedal.

The mats also don’t fit the minimalist style of Teslas. Too cute with too much pattern. It’s like the Honda Civic rear end - the designers couldn’t stop designing.

Finally, the weird rubber also “rubbed me the wrong way.” Shifting my weight around cause a lot of squeaks with my rubber- soled sneakers which drove me nuts on a long road trip. I just want some simple rubber floor trays with a slightly raised lip. I live in SoCal so no snow and not much rain. So I don’t really need deep tall lips to hold mud or snow.

Any recommendations? I had good experiences with Weathertech for my suburban but that was back in 2000 so not sure if they’re still any good.
Not sure why you would put them in over the standard floor mats, that would make them thicker no doubt. However, they aren't an inch thick, generously maybe a bit more than a half an inch. They sit very flush to the center console if you install them correctly (there are clips that tuck into the trim and adhere to the walls to ensure a flush fit). While it is definitely to each their own (and I am not trying to tell you what you should like), in terms of pattern, I am not sure how much more minimalist the pattern could be, other than being completely flat…and look at Weathertech they have some pretty distinctive patterns.
But, it goes down to what you like,and if you don’t like them, you are right not to get them. Being in SoCal makes the need for coverage much less. I can’t agree with the legroom thing though, if you are feeling that leg room is lost, you must be pretty tall...like I said I am 6'2" my seat is not all the way back and I have almost the same leg room as I did with the OEM cloth mats.
Also, one of the things I loved about the Tuxmats is they aren’t plastic or rubber, so I don’t get any squeaks, I mean none.
I added pictures so maybe you can see the difference between the Tesla ones and the Alfa Stevio (which does seem to have a cramped cockpit)
C1B5A35E-BEDC-4414-B750-0CBC7A8FF93F.jpegFE32F0AF-3DB1-4760-AF3D-4C403376325A.jpegD7EAED24-DED1-49DE-B069-F9E4E48B95C8.jpeg9DDC445D-18DD-4C1C-B52D-8C40978CD05B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Manbutter
What’s a cable carrier? In my case I put low profile tissue boxes in the drawers for easy access To both passengers.
This is what I mean, not sure what it is called.

1664897538407.png

I had the original one from my Model S, I put my cable in that in the trunk, and I bought another one on Mecari or eBay. So I use both of these under the seat. They have a material on the bottom which assist in keeping it in place and they fit perfectly.

Not sure why you would put them in over the standard floor mats, that would make them thicker no doubt. However, they aren't an inch thick, generously maybe a bit more than a half an inch. They sit very flush to the center console if you install them correctly (there are clips that tuck into the trim and adhere to the walls to ensure a flush fit). While it is definitely to each their own (and I am not trying to tell you what you should like), in terms of pattern, I am not sure how much more minimalist the pattern could be, other than being completely flat…and look at Weathertech they have some pretty distinctive patterns.
But, it goes down to what you like,and if you don’t like them, you are right not to get them. Being in SoCal makes the need for coverage much less. I can’t agree with the legroom thing though, if you are feeling that leg room is lost, you must be pretty tall...like I said I am 6'2" my seat is not all the way back and I have almost the same leg room as I did with the OEM cloth mats.
Also, one of the things I loved about the Tuxmats is they aren’t plastic or rubber, so I don’t get any squeaks, I mean none.
I added pictures so maybe you can see the difference between the Tesla ones and the Alfa Stevio (which does seem to have a cramped cockpit)
View attachment 859878View attachment 859879View attachment 859880View attachment 859881
Actually looks really good in your car. And that gap with center console is pretty flush. Maybe my friend didn’t install his correctly or the Alfa is just a real small and tight suv. It definitely looks more posh than any of the competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: samori01
This is what I mean, not sure what it is called.

View attachment 859883

I had the original one from my Model S, I put my cable in that in the trunk, and I bought another one on Mecari or eBay. So I use both of these under the seat. They have a material on the bottom which assist in keeping it in place and they fit perfectly.
Got it - Mobile connector case.

As I said in my case I wanted to put a tissue box and other stuff under each seat so I wanted the drawer.
I hope Tuxmat tweaks their mats to accommodate this at some point.