Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twelve Days Without Power...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife is pushing back on my Raven X purchase until I'm done with a twelve day backpacking trip in June because she's worried I will have problems leaving it alone in a parking lot for twelve days. Her main concern is it running out of power.

It's a parking lot that is "safe" in that there shouldn't be vandalism, etc. but there is no power available to trickle charge the vehicle. My plan was to charge it to 90% the night before and not use Sentry Mode, not ping the car, etc.

1) Do you think the battery will hold enough charge for me to get just a few miles to a nearby RV park after the trek? I'll be staying there overnight the night before and after the trek.
2) Are there any other "tricks" or suggestions you can think of that would help me in this situation?
3) Do you agree with my wife that I should just hold off due to this concern?

Thank you!

If set correctly it could sit for months.

make sure you test it before hand to be sure you do have everything set correctly.

I see 1 mile loss every 2 days.

Mine seems to lose about 3 miles per day. Are there certain settings I should be using? I figured using the app contributes to it, but between my last charge yesterday and this morning, I’ve only used the app like 3 times

Mine seems to lose about 3 miles per day. Are there certain settings I should be using? I figured using the app contributes to it, but between my last charge yesterday and this morning, I’ve only used the app like 3 times

Every time you use the app it wakes the car up and it will stay awake for some time after that before returning to sleep mode. stop checking it at all and see what your loss looks like. If you subscribe to TeslaFI or a like service you can measure this.

Reactions: jboy210
- sentry mode off
- standby summon off (I really feel this should always be off)
- if older car, always connected off.
- cabin overheat protection off

don’t connect with the app.

usage should be pretty low, but may depend on weather.

It does not vary by weather unless extreme or you have done the features you mentioned on. You might get a snow flake that limits (access to) range but that will come back as the battery warms up.

My car will do the same thing if it’s 20F or 60 F. It will impact once you want to get moving. But just sitting asleep weather has no impact. It’s never been near cold enough to get close to when the battery will heat itself to protect the battery.

I can’t seem to find “summon standby”. Do I just disable summon? I have a 2016
My apologies...did not realize you had a 2016. No, you do not have the standby feature. I don't have it in my 2016 MX, but do in my M3.
In the 2016 MX, turning off basic summon appears to have no effect. What does seem to help quite a bit is Always Connected- off; and Energy Saving Mode- On.
Also, if you are using a 3rd party analysis app, shut it down or temporarily disabled it. Some will ping the car fairly often and keep it awake.
Like others have said, if you park it with around 80 to 90% charge, you will have absolutely no problem. Even in temps below 20 deg F when winter camping with the MX, the highest loss I see is about 2% every 24 hrs.

My apologies...did not realize you had a 2016. No, you do not have the standby feature. I don't have it in my 2016 MX, but do in my M3.
In the 2016 MX, turning off basic summon appears to have no effect. What does seem to help quite a bit is Always Connected- off; and Energy Saving Mode- On.
Also, if you are using a 3rd party analysis app, shut it down or temporarily disabled it. Some will ping the car fairly often and keep it awake.
Like others have said, if you park it with around 80 to 90% charge, you will have absolutely no problem. Even in temps below 20 deg F when winter camping with the MX, the highest loss I see is about 2% every 24 hrs.

Thanks for clarifying and the tips!

Every time you use the app it wakes the car up and it will stay awake for some time after that before returning to sleep mode. stop checking it at all and see what your loss looks like. If you subscribe to TeslaFI or a like service you can measure this.
To add to this, "sleep mode" isn't a binary thing, there are stages, and each time you wake it, it has to iterate through those stages. Because of this, each app connection instance further limits (and potentially even completely eliminates) the amount of time spent in the deepest of the sleep modes.

• Informative
Reactions: wreighven
I've done some "safe" energy use tests while my 2016 MX (HW2) was plugged into the garage while I'm away. I'd charge up then set the charge limit to 50%. Before Smart Summon was added, under normal conditions with everything on, I lose up to 9 miles a day. After Smart Summon, I lose 12 miles a day. It appears to me that the vehicle never sleeps since Smart Summon was added. If I get everything turned off, it's about 1 mile a day.

My settings:
- Energy saving on (always connected off)
- Smart Summon stand by off (I actually just turn of Smart summon entirely)
- If testing while plugged into the wall, turn off scheduled charging as the car will wake up at the scheduled time to see if a charge is needed.

• Informative
Reactions: wreighven