Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two different folks driving car, profile does switch automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talking to someone where there are two drivers, two profiles, two iphones. She drives 90% of the time. When he gets in the car to use it the phone connect automatically, but he has to manually switch to his profile. Is this normal?

Starting with 2019.28.2 it should switch to the profile of the phone entering the car, but you have to go into the phone key settings in the car to set it up. I tested it and it seems to work really well. Even if my wife gets in the passenger seat, it'll pick my profile.

Starting with 2019.28.2 it should switch to the profile of the phone entering the car, but you have to go into the phone key settings in the car to set it up. I tested it and it seems to work really well. Even if my wife gets in the passenger seat, it'll pick my profile.
Yeah I noticed that too. I wonder if it just uses the profile of whoever is the first person to get to the car cause usually I am. Curious to know if it’s smart enough to detect who is on the driver side.

Yeah I noticed that too. I wonder if it just uses the profile of whoever is the first person to get to the car cause usually I am. Curious to know if it’s smart enough to detect who is on the driver side.

No, not detecting seat location from what I can tell. It works great when I'm using it myself. But when two phones are around it's a bit random. First signal, trongest signal or perhaps most recently used signal.

I tested it a few times here:

and every time it seemed to pick the correct profile of the phone getting into the driver seat, despite the other phone being near the passenger seat first.

I realize the passenger side phone is not in the car on the test, but I feel being on the glass roof is even closer than when the passenger would be walking up and opening from the outside with the phone in a pocket or purse.

It's the old FIFO rule, first in, first on. Meaning whose ever phone activates the car first, gets their preference turned on. I tested this with my wife's phone. The only exception to the above that I've noticed is if the next person happens to use their playboy card, the preference will default to the last phone used to activate the car (unless you've programmed the card).