Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two sets of tires without having to goto service center to program TPMS????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
I think I just made a huge mistake. I bought a set of 21" wheels today. I planned to use those during my normal weekly commute and change over to the 19" wheels for long out of town weekend trips. I was under the impression from this article and video:

Tesla Winter Wheel Swap and TPMS Reset - TESLARATI.com

that pairing or swapping TPMS sets was a DIY procedure with the "Reset Sensor" button.

But reading the manual carefully, it clearly says that the Reset Sensor button is not for replacing sensors but for replacing wheels while keeping the same sensors.

But I've seen other references to folks buying TPMS sensors from Tire Rack and following some song and dance procedure to do their own pairing without actually spelling out the song and dance.

On my Toyota and Lexus, I can use my Techstream or ATEQ quickset to replace and reprogram sensors or to swap sets.

Does the Model S not support two sets of sensors? Please say it isn't so.

Sorka,
Put the wheels on the car and drive about 10-30 miles. Somewhere in that range you will see a rectangle pop up on the touchscreen. It will ask you if you want to calibrate your TPMS. Then it will give you an option of 19" or 21" tires. Push the button and they calibrate. This is how mine (2014 P+85S) worked when I changed out my mounted snowtires for the summers. Note that one set was OEM and the other purchased direct from Tesla. Not sure on the other brands pf TPMS. Good luck

Sorka,
Put the wheels on the car and drive about 10-30 miles. Somewhere in that range you will see a rectangle pop up on the touchscreen. It will ask you if you want to calibrate your TPMS. Then it will give you an option of 19" or 21" tires. Push the button and they calibrate. This is how mine (2014 P+85S) worked when I changed out my mounted snowtires for the summers. Note that one set was OEM and the other purchased direct from Tesla. Not sure on the other brands pf TPMS. Good luck

I plan to purchase them directly from the Tesla parts in Fremont.

So you're saying you have two sets of tires and you don't have to go to the service center to swap them?

Are your's the V1 sensors(I think yes since you have a P85+)?

Does it matter if what version it is? Does the same method work on the newer cars with V2?

Also, I found this video which has absolutely no real information with it and I don't even believe it:

ATEQ VT30 TPMS Reset Tool Fitment Guide for Tesla Models - YouTube

As far as I know, this tools is for activating sensors or reading IDs but is not like my ATEQ QuickSet where you actually program the sensor IDs to the car.

TPMS sensors in VINs over 50k are Continentals.

TireRack put them in my Rials and they paired automatically after about 48 hours.
I know it because as the weather cooled by 30 degrees one of the tires showed an
accurate low pressure reading.

I have P85D (Jan 15 delivery), so newer sensors. I just purchased extra set of sensors for aftermarket wheels/tires. After installing last week, was wondering same thing.

On the way home with new tires/rims on, screen pop up said something about detecting new sensors - I was driving so just pressed button on screen, and all worked fine. Screen now shows pressure for new tires.

Here's pic of new mags-

New-mags.jpg

Last edited:
I have P85D (Jan 15 delivery), so newer sensors. I just purchased extra set of sensors for aftermarket wheels/tires. After installing last week, was wondering same thing.

On the way home with new tires/rims on, screen pop up said something about detecting new sensors - I was driving so just pressed button on screen, and all worked fine. Screen now shows pressure for new tires.

Yay! Confirmation from a newer sensor owner. Not sure why the owners manual says something else but good enough for me! :)

Did you have to do anything to the sensors themselves to activate them?

Just finally swapped to my winter wheels and tires last week. The winters are factory 19s that came off a first gen car. So after installing them they would not communicate with my June '15 P85D. I ordered a new set of sensors from the service center, and had them installed a couple days later. Just like mentioned above, after just a few miles of driving the car will alert you that it has detected new sensors, and will allow you to select 19" or 21". Pick the right size, hit reset, and you're good to go.

Sorka,

Hey Redmiata, I couldn't wait and bought your old P+ today, I'm assuming the car has the new TPMS that shows the pressure on the car status dash app.

Sorka:
When I purchased my 4 new sensors for my new summer wheels, the Service Rep at my Tesla SC asked for the last 6 of my VIN number in order to pull the correct parts from inventory.
Tesla carries 2 versions of the sensor, older and newer.
The newer ones are made by Continental - VDO and have a Tesla part number.
There was no code data supplied with each of them.

The reason I say there was no code data is that with my previous Lexus and Prius (Toyota) TPMS sensors, a code for each sensor was provided.
This code for each sensor needed to be entered by a Lexus/Toyota tech into the car to enable the sensor pairing.

Now, since Tesla did NOT provide any codes, I do suspect that the V2 sensors will indeed be auto-discovered over a period of time.
I do not think we need to enter any codes.

BTW, today I will be buying 4 Grey Tesla center caps for the summer wheels... or ordering them at least.

BTW, Toyota tried to charge me $100 per pairing for 4 wheels... that is $200 per year to run tire sensors.... crazy.
I hope Toyota gets a bit more automated.

Sensor Reset is for the car to pair with a set of sensors it's never used before, or for you to force the car to recalibrate if you reuse an already-learned set of sensors with a different sized wheel.

The car can remember at least two sets of sensors, so if you switch between wheel sets for winter and summer you should not need to repeat the learning after the first time.

In short, you should never need to go the SC for a sensor related issue other than a fault.

Yay! Confirmation from a newer sensor owner. Not sure why the owners manual says something else but good enough for me! :)

Did you have to do anything to the sensors themselves to activate them?

Here's your second confirmation. There's nothing to it, the car will automatically detect the new set when you start driving. You only have to make sure you specify 19" or 21" since the target tire pressure is different. The most important thing is to get the correct set so in your case the new Continental ones. When you mount them yourself (which I did) respect the torque specs for the sensors and the valve stems. In my case it was 2 Nm for the sensors and 4 Nm for the valve stems.

I installed these from Cub by the way...

IMG_20151005_184143 small.jpg

Last edited:
2013 P85+ here and two sets of wheels and TMPS, and it works great when I swap wheels each season.

But wow, swapping wheels just for longer out-of-town trips -- that sounds like a ton of work for (IMHO) little benefit.

The 15 minutes it takes me to swap a set of wheels is about 5 minutes less than it takes me to rotate the tires. Only have to use one jack to swap. Plus when I get back, I get to put them back on rotated so the swap time credits me labor for the rotate time when swapping back.

- - - Updated - - -

I just picked up a set of 4 from Fremont for $200.