Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two tires in same day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to my grandson's college baseball game Saturday and since I had had a crazy LR tire sensor, I was monitoring it....It seemed to be alright after 2020.8.1 update so when the RR sensor went from 47lbs to 44lbs then to 40lbs in the space of 15 minutes, I figured I had a nail....asked for navigation to nearest Goodyear tire store and it was .8 miles away.....so I went there and found a 1” screw and washer in the center of the thread.....

The service guy said not problem, we see Tesla’s all the time with nails and screws.....they put car in “toe mode” and removed tire, patched and filled up with nitrogen to 45lbs....Cost = $25....those guys were great....25 minutes from start to finish.....

Stayed for the 2 games and drove back home.....Drove 175 miles on Sunday,....all is still good.....got up this morning to go eat breakfast, and noticed an exact screw and washer in the front right tire....Sensor said I was good at 45 lbs cold and went to 47lbs while driving......drove to eat, came out and went to Costa Mesa service center.....guy looked at it and because it was in the first thread, refused to touch it....said I need to buy another tire at $480 with NO warranty.....told him I just had it done Saturday on the right rear and no issues.....he said it would be $85 to patch if they could but I need new $480 tire.....

Well, drove over to another Goodyear tire store in Tustin, they took car and put it in tow mode, patched tire and remounted......$25....they put folded towels on jack cup and did a great job....Only issue, I did not get the lug nut cap puller on delivery, so I will go back and get one.....

While at Goodyear, I asked what a new tire with quieting foam would cost....he looked it up and told me $260 per tire including road hazard, free rotation and balance every 5k miles and nitrogen....both stores were very knowledgable with the Tesla and knew what they were doing....

Tesla is just not in the tire business anymore and if you want them too, it will cost an arm and a leg for tire service there.....I’ll continue to use Goodyear or Discount tires when I can.....if on Saturday, I had called for roadside assistance for this tire issue, It would have not only been a time consuming process with the wait, but they would have towed me to the nearest Tesla dealer.....I will only use roadside service if I am on a road trip and something happened that I cant get to a service center on my own if I cant get to a tire shop.....Goodyear was a very good experience.....

I'll bet you were in a construction zone. I have had multiple nails in the same week when they were building houses on my street.
no....was driving up the I-5 towards Whittier......relative clean freeway....I was forced to the right shoulder because someone cut me off, but only for 50 ft so so.....did not see any debris....I think thats where I picked up the screws....I was really sick today when told I might have to buy new tire....but Goodyear took care of me

Yes my model S P100D is a nail/screw magnet, literally every 3 months give or take I have a nail to deal with, guessing it has something to do with the weight of the vehicle? Discount always pulls patches and replaces for free, they have had to lost money on me by now lol, always great to deal with and never ask any questions or push back.

Thats not normal. I had brought my car for a few things and mentioned that my TPMS for my RR tire was acting weird. They took a look and noted it had 2 punctures in the tire. Recommend replacing. So I had them replaced and they only charged $282.50 to replace the tire with a Goodyear Eagle Touring ($230 for the tire, $50 labor and $2.50 for tire disposal).

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
I don’t know why they’d put you in “tow mode” that’s literally for towing a vehicle. I assume you meant “jack mode” because if they’re putting you in tow mode actually they’re idiots and you’ll want to avoid them!
looked for jack mode on my 2020......dont seem to know where it is......tow mode allows car not to self-level while jacked up so I have read......they chocked the other tires so I won't roll....they used a floor jack for underneath of the bad tire

looked for jack mode on my 2020......dont seem to know where it is......tow mode allows car not to self-level while jacked up so I have read......they chocked the other tires so I won't roll....they used a floor jack for underneath of the bad tire

You're thinking of Jack mode - that's what stops the suspension from self-levelling. It's under the Suspension menu :)

Tow mode keeps the wheels from being locked when in park (and probably disables the alarm if it's smart), I think that's under the Service menu.

You're thinking of Jack mode - that's what stops the suspension from self-levelling. It's under the Suspension menu :)

Tow mode keeps the wheels from being locked when in park (and probably disables the alarm if it's smart), I think that's under the Service menu.

yep you are correct....I was looking under service....duh.....so much to learn about this car.....but I love it and this forum

yep you are correct....I was looking under service....duh.....so much to learn about this car.....but I love it and this forum

Welcome aboard - been following your post since you ordered, glad you're enjoying the ride. Also jealous of your other wheels - always wanted to take an R1200GS up to Alaska, but my Hayabusa has served me well on a couple cross country rides in the meantime. Cheers.

Welcome aboard - been following your post since you ordered, glad you're enjoying the ride. Also jealous of your other wheels - always wanted to take an R1200GS up to Alaska, but my Hayabusa has served me well on a couple cross country rides in the meantime. Cheers.
Hahaha.....I can’t decide which one to take sometimes....I do love my bike....started with BMW K75RT back in 1991.....being in the military, going from coast to coast, I would cuss those “idiots” riding at 80mph with black jackets and pants in 100+ temperature.....that is, until I got my bike.....I have had a 1995 K1100 LT, 1997 R1100RT, 2000 K1200LT 2005 R1200gs and now my 2016 R1200gs (LC)....The K1200LT I kept for 14 years...cried when I gave it up....over 250k miles and have been cross country to Atlanta 3 times, Gatlinburg, Tn, Missoula, Mt and Austin Texas and San Antonio...Mexico dozens of time....Love to ride

However, this car makes me want to think up things just to drive it....my wife says I have become her little errand guy.....Her late 2019 Model 3 is just damn fun to drive.....I hope I will learn more about the car and not make an ass of myself in the future...thanks to everyone for helping me learn and showing me the right direction to find answers.....