Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tysons Corner, VA (AWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, if you saw my other post in Interior/Exterior then this is a double-post, but since you are all VA people, I figured some of you may have experience in this area!

The guy at FilmSource is suggesting I just do 45 ceramic tint all around (sides, rear, top) but I think he's suggesting that so he only has to use a single material during install. While 45 was what i wanted to do on the front side windows anyway, do you think that's too light on the rear? and is 45 too dark on the top sunroof portion?

Technically, in VA 50 is the max on front side windows, 35 rear side and rear. But he said if I went 55/35 on the sides it would be an obvious visual difference (There is no "50" for that tint) and you can easily get away with 45 on the front windows and 45 on the sides to match. No reason to match the rear window though... should I drop that down to 35 I am wondering, and should I drop the rear sides to 35 as well or keep them at 45 to match the fronts. I've never done aftermarket tinting before, which is hard to believe even for me!

Since I am not having it done for weeks yet, I have time to pick out what I want so I want to make sure I choose wisely ;)

I think 45 for top/back is fine, but I’d personally do around 20-25 on the sides. From my experience, 35 is way too light. I have 20ish on my Vette and haven’t ran into any problems. Some counties will measure the tint during inspections but Stafford doesn’t and I don’t think Prince William does either, but I’d check that.

Go with darker tint, even mine seems kind of light but I’m happy with it. I had 5 percent on my Cobra and still didn’t run into any issues. Also no issues seeing out from the inside.

I guess I’ll call and see if I can move up from the 13th. I also might drop by tyco this weekend to see if the car is there and at least do an early inspection.

Another reason I am very happy I used lightstream. I was able to just login and change my funding date and it was changed in seconds with no interaction with a person. Piece of cake!

I think 45 for top/back is fine, but I’d personally do around 20-25 on the sides. From my experience, 35 is way too light. I have 20ish on my Vette and haven’t ran into any problems. Some counties will measure the tint during inspections but Stafford doesn’t and I don’t think Prince William does either, but I’d check that.

Go with darker tint, even mine seems kind of light but I’m happy with it. I had 5 percent on my Cobra and still didn’t run into any issues. Also no issues seeing out from the inside.

While I like the look to be darker, I don't need it to have a murdered out look, and want to stay legal even if I won't necessarily get pulled over for it. I'd like it to be a little shaded, but I'm not going to go below 35 anywhere. I appreciate the feedback though!

@wbhokie You're probably on top of this, but keep in mind that if the goal is to not get pulled over in the first place you should consider staying obviously above the line. Because a cop can pull you over (fishing for any other issue) and reasonably say well your windows looked too dark to me, guess I misjudged that, but now that I'm here, do I smell weed, and alcohol, and do I smell a gun, please step out of the car. (Just trying to be funny, not implying you are a shady character.)

So I had delivery scheduled on Sept 5 for October 2nd in Tysons. They just called me for delivery next Friday, Sept 21st, and insisted on changing delivery to my home. They said VIN will release one week before delivery.

---------------
Model 3 Performance
Red-Multicoat / White Interior
20" Wheels / FSD

• Informative
Reactions: EValuatED
So I had delivery scheduled on Sept 5 for October 2nd in Tysons. They just called me for delivery next Friday, Sept 21st, and insisted on changing delivery to my home. They said VIN will release one week before delivery.

---------------
Model 3 Performance
Red-Multicoat / White Interior
20" Wheels / FSD

That's interesting - a home delivery!!! I guess because you have Performance model?

Picked up the car this morning, a mere 895 days after I waited in line to reserve it.

Our scheduled delivery agent was apparently unable to help us, so after a 20 or so minute wait, another employee stepped in to take care of us. He was clearly not the usual guy and was a bit anxious, but we got through everything. When we started the paperwork, the car was off getting its VA state inspection completed. I paid via ACH transaction the day before, and all I needed to show them was my Tesla account that stated my balance was 0 dollars. I think you could pay via ACH while you are there picking the car up, but you run the risk of having some sort of issue with the bank or processing hold you up, and then you wouldnt be able to drive off in the car. Once we had finished the paperwork, they pulled the car up outside and we finished the process there.

Car is beautiful. Panel gaps look better than average from photos I have seen. Paint had about 10 nicks/chips/dings in various parts of the car that will need resolved, but none were egregious (I'm talking very small nicks, but nicks through the paint nonetheless). The service center took photos of all of the issues and told me they would be written up into my due bill to be provided via email.

Whole process once we got started was about 20 minutes.

IMG-6047.JPG

So bummed. I got a call today from Tyco Road. My car arrived and had “paint issues”. It is going to a Tesla certified body shop for three weeks, so my delivery has been moved back. I am a little nervous. No one can give me details of exactly what the defects are and if it is going to require re-painting part of it. I am very OCD and I don’t like the idea of my car being partially repainted. I was planning on a full x-pel wrap as soon as I got it. I am that OCD. They offered to match me to another car, which will take 4-6 weeks or just wait 3 weeks for this one to come out of the body shop. My car is a M3P- gray/white. The metallic gray has been discontinued, so maybe it is smarter to just ask for a re-match now as opposed to waiting three weeks and then possibly rejecting anyway. Dang it. What do you guys think?

Today, I was given a VIN of 87xxx which (according to the Model 3 VIN Twitter feed) was registered back on August 5. Makes me wonder where it’s been sitting the past 5 weeks...

They offered to match me to another car, which will take 4-6 weeks or just wait 3 weeks for this one to come out of the body shop. My car is a M3P- gray/white. The metallic gray has been discontinued, so maybe it is smarter to just ask for a re-match now as opposed to waiting three weeks and then possibly rejecting anyway. Dang it. What do you guys think?
What’s the VIN?