Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uberturbine Aero Covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish someone made covers that are side-specific. As far as I know, all four are the same, which means one side will be twisting one direction while the other side the opposite. But then again, Ubers are that way too.
I had the same thought, then I found these on AliE. Reverse direction for left and right.
Has anyone here bought and can advise on quality?
I am particularly wondering about how any of these plastic covers will do over time in the (Phoenix desert-like) heat. Any experience?

I had the same thought, then I found these on AliE. Reverse direction for left and right.
Has anyone here bought and can advise on quality?
I am particularly wondering about how any of these plastic covers will do over time in the (Phoenix desert-like) heat. Any experience?

There are YT videos on those covers. The quality is good, but the retention mechanism is not as good as factory (better quality clips) or Rimetrix. Rimetrix uses the center hub as an additional retention mechanism, which might help mitigate theft and is definitely more secure. That said, the one you linked and others like it seem to stay on the wheels just fine.

There are YT videos on those covers. The quality is good, but the retention mechanism is not as good as factory (better quality clips) or Rimetrix. Rimetrix uses the center hub as an additional retention mechanism, which might help mitigate theft and is definitely more secure. That said, the one you linked and others like it seem to stay on the wheels just fine.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look it up on YT.
I wonder why these aftermarket covers don't use the same retention mechanism with the center clamp. Theft is no issue for me, but I don't like the thought of losing one while driving :oops:
What I like about these though is that they are symmetric, i.e. left and right version.

I wonder why these aftermarket covers don't use the same retention mechanism with the center clamp. Theft is no issue for me, but I don't like the thought of losing one while driving :oops:
What I like about these though is that they are symmetric, i.e. left and right version.

I mentioned theft because I've read plenty of posts here and elsewhere about people's hub cap or center cap being stolen while parked at, for example, a shopping center.

It's more expensive to do what Rimetrix did, so I'm sure cost is a factor. It's interesting that even the Tesla Ubers are not symmetrically directional. I would think that one side is slightly more aerodynamically efficient than the other. But again, it drastically simplifies manufacturing logics.

When properly installed, the center is on very tight and the spokes also are gripped tightly. I don't see it easily falling off.
I mentioned theft because I've read plenty of posts here and elsewhere about people's hub cap or center cap being stolen while parked at, for example, a shopping center.

It's more expensive to do what Rimetrix did, so I'm sure cost is a factor. It's interesting that even the Tesla Ubers are not symmetrically directional. I would think that one side is slightly more aerodynamically efficient than the other. But again, it drastically simplifies manufacturing logics.
While there are some cases where they are stolen (cases where multiple disappear after being parked), I'm not convinced that the ones where a single one is lost were actually stolen, most likely they fell off. From delivery, I had one that was installed loosely and I popped it back in. From what I read, this isn't uncommon. The important thing is to make sure the center is popped into the hub, and verify the clips are gripping each spoke.

Given the OEM ones are $25 a pop direct from Tesla, I don't see there being much demand for a random used single cover, as such it's not really much of an attraction for a thief.

One of the good things in our region is that theft is generally very rare, hence not a major consideration for me. I guess we are spoiled.

When properly installed, the center is on very tight and the spokes also are gripped tightly. I don't see it easily falling off.
Understood, though I was wondering. I got the impression that some wheel covers do not have the center grip but only rely on the plastic clamps on the spokes. Especially the "budget" ones, like the ones in my previous link.

I didn't even receive my car yet, but already look for "improvements" 😁 Let's see, I guess will I take the chance and order these wheel covers.

One of the good things in our region is that theft is generally very rare, hence not a major consideration for me. I guess we are spoiled.

Understood, though I was wondering. I got the impression that some wheel covers do not have the center grip but only rely on the plastic clamps on the spokes. Especially the "budget" ones, like the ones in my previous link.

I didn't even receive my car yet, but already look for "improvements" 😁 Let's see, I guess will I take the chance and order these wheel covers.
Look up pictures of the inside of the ones you buy. The ones that grip the center will have a metal ring in the center, just like the OEM ones. The uberturbine covers I bought has the same design. It's possible some designs may have cheaped out and committed the center, but I haven't seen that so far with the uberturbine.

Not sure if this Utube is related to the discussion within this thread
IMO, Aerodynamics is 99% related to the shape of the car. IMO wheel caps have very little effects (I don't have data) but I had a friend at work who was a fulltime professor at Drexel PA Univ. He spends his entire life doing CFD and said caps have little to nothing to do with car aerodynamics

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist
Not sure if this Utube is related to the discussion within this thread
IMO, Aerodynamics is 99% related to the shape of the car. IMO wheel caps have very little effects (I don't have data) but I had a friend at work who was a fulltime professor at Drexel PA Univ. He spends his entire life doing CFD and said caps have little to nothing to do with car aerodynamics
It's more about rolling resistance which affects power efficiency and range. So, like tire design affects rolling resistance, same for hub caps.

Some light reading to refute your assertion:

We all love CFD but it's only as good as the REAL data thats put into the models. If you have no real data, then CFD is a nice approximation of real life with less value added.

... it's the reason F1 teams spend millions of dollars on wind tunnels...

...and then still use flow visualization paint and pitot rakes during a race weekend with very limited running time. They need real data to verify/validate CFD. Or tweak the models.

Reactions: snovvman
Some light reading to refute your assertion:

We all love CFD but it's only as good as the REAL data thats put into the models. If you have no real data, then CFD is a nice approximation of real life with less value added.

... it's the reason F1 teams spend millions of dollars on wind tunnels...

...and then still use flow visualization paint and pitot rakes during a race weekend with very limited running time. They need real data to verify/validate CFD. Or tweak the models.

That's a nice paper. Thanks for posting the link.

Reactions: Resist
Just got the last ones in gunmetal grey…
IMG_7723.jpeg

Reactions: Yeslak and ss71
Look up pictures of the inside of the ones you buy. The ones that grip the center will have a metal ring in the center, just like the OEM ones. The uberturbine covers I bought has the same design. It's possible some designs may have cheaped out and committed the center, but I haven't seen that so far with the uberturbine.
Finally, I remember to upload a picture. The inside looks very similar to the stock Aeros, including the center with the metal ring. I have now done a few thousand km and haven't lost them :) Happy with it.

20231009_223107.jpg

Reactions: Yeslak
Finally, I remember to upload a picture. The inside looks very similar to the stock Aeros, including the center with the metal ring. I have now done a few thousand km and haven't lost them :) Happy with it.

View attachment 980887
Looks 🔥 Which brand is this? I am looking for some 18" ones, ideally with better efficiency improvement. I get worried they will fall off on freeway and have to deal with insurance if it hits another car.