Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
damange.png

See that damage behind the tire? Had to be a collision.

Did you all hear about the ICE car fire in IL over the past week or so? You haven't heard of any of the tens that have occurred? There was no mention in any news articles at all of a local car fire that happened along US 50 just a couple of weeks ago. Why wasn't there speculation that the car manufacturer was going out of business as a result?

We don't hear about ICE car fires in the news anymore because - well - we've just learned to live with them.
When something bad happens to an average ___, nobody cares.
When something bad happens to an extraordinary ___, it's news.

I'm glad to be driving a vehicle that is so extraordinary that everything about it is news.

If there was no accident why would the the owner say that the car saved his life?

Exactly. One does not normally say "the car spontaneously erupted into a fire while I was driving down the highway, but I'm so happy that the car saved my life because it didn't enter into the passenger compartment." I mean, if Tesla's quote is accurate, who would say this who hadn't been in a near life-threatening accident??? Instead, one normally hears this expression when the car has been in some kind of accident and the safety features or design of the car were such that the car saved the passenger's life, at least from the point of view of the passenger.

Unfortunately that part is just cut out of the side angle picture... Although, the streak along the side of the car in that picture might be more damage, as opposed to the reflection I originally thought it was.

on the plus side, now maybe people will stop parking next to me!

Well, I do see what appears to be a red LEAF pulled off on the shoulder in front of the MS in one of the pics.

Speaking of LEAFs, I'm only aware of one LEAF fire, which was not self inflicted. There are probably others.

I would have thought for sure there would have been a Volt fire in the news more recently, especially after the NHSTA crash fire years ago, but there hasn't been as far as I'm aware.

The Concorde is not an airline, it is a type of supersonic airplane. Only British Airways and Air France operated them and then only a handful of them. Also those required an IMMENSE amount of maintenance (compared to other commercial jets) to maintain its safety record, not to mention it didn't fly that often (not 8 flights a day like the Boeing 737 for example). That's just part of the reason why they didn't make it in the larger airline world.
I am not too concerned about the Model S as even this last fire looks to be a pretty serious accident, lots of debris right next to it. I would be concerned if there were a spontaneous fire, just one sitting in a garage or parked. Haven't seen one yet. Let's see what Tesla's investigation reveals. Tesla's reputation "may" get slightly damaged depending on how they handle these first few incidents.

Thats all true (to my knowledge). Had some misused words and cut corners, but my point was about small sample sizes, not about the practicality or history of the Concord. Just thought interesting how one crash can take you from "best" to "worst", statistically speaking. But fair enough, You are right.

On a different point, it's great that all these drivers say the Tesla saved their lives - and I'm glad they're alive and hope that Tesla did.... I just wish it wasn't always TESLA telling us that. Would love to hear it from them, somehow. I know tesla had released an email exchange with one of the fire tesla owners once, but I'm slightly suspicious that Tesla is always controlling the message. not sure how else we'd hear about it though. But I'm an uber-bull from 29 and 35 and am not worried long term.

If that was a pushed in fender, I would expect the tail light assembly to be cracked, dislocated, or otherwise damaged. I don't see that.

It's possible we are seeing the reflection of a road sign or something which is dark against a light sky from that angle.

Long time fan of Telsa. Discovered TMC about 2 months ago and can't get enough. Plan on ordering my Model S in 2014. My first post:

I think the fires we are seeing are a classic "Weber effect" . Go ahead and google the term. It is described when new drugs hit the market, but the analogous phenomenon is happening here since Tesla is under such a microscope.