Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never understood why people spend the money on personalized plates that say ... the name of the car, or both. Makes no sense.
In the first few months, some were considering self-named plates to (hopefully) stop people from driving unsafely close to the vehicle while attempting to identify the make and model.

First I'd like to say I'm a fan of Tesla and have a desire to buy a MS. Previously the lack of automatically folding mirrors was an obstacle for considering purchase of a MS. The MS is wide and we would only have 6 inches on either side to fit through the garage door. Once in there's lots of space.

Now I have a new concern. In view of the 2 or 3 recent events in the US, I don't understand the risk associated with battery pack damage due to road debris. The surface area exposure of the battery pack to the road is definitely large and the car rides low. The battery placement is great for performance but appears to increase the likelihood of damage significantly.

I understand that the occupant stays safe, but the prospect of a total loss due to road debris is not appealing. I wonder how comprehensive insurance ratse will be affected?

Furthermore I would expect to own the car for 10-15 years and wonder how accumulated damage (scratches and bruises) could affect battery pack performance. Even if catastrophic failure isn't experienced, will I still be able to do a quick battery swap? Is there any degradation to the battery in terms of capacity or quality?

Also, I wouldn't call quarter inch aluminum plate armor. I believe It's important that Tesla address these concerns seriously and openly.

Last edited:
I never understood why people spend the money on personalized plates that say the other and or the name of the car, or both. Makes no sense.

Then you've never been tailgated by people trying to figure out what kind of car you are driving. Seriously, it's a bit hard to read the TESLA across the back of the Model S, it's just printed in relief and isn't very visible.

I never understood why people spend the money on personalized plates that say the other and or the name of the car, or both. Makes no sense.

At least he is consistent. His Roadster plate says BLUTSLA. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I know its a joke but there may be something to the ability to jettison the burning battery and save the car.

You realize it's highly illegal to have have object leave your vehicle. A candy wrapper is littering, a suitcase or bicycle is dangerous for those behind you, A ladder is dangerous and criminal and a 900 pound flaming battery is insane!

It's kind of remarkable how many "back seat engineers" topics like this bring out.

If I was an anti-Tesla person or organization, I'd be learning there's gold here. Just throw random issues at Tesla and watch their forums light up with how they should constantly retrofit everything. Death by 1000 cuts eats into profit margins pretty quick.
So you're suggesting a discussion board where there is no discussion? This happens to be a huge issue, hence the discussion.

Alpha after watching the video i agree that the bedliner coating can be viable solution to the problem.
As has been discussed it probably does nothing to protect against point loading, which is quite different than an explosion.

Various discussion of the ride height of the Model S and other *EVs mentioned in the discussion. Took pictures my Volt (26.7k plug EV miles) today with a piece of wood marked. Front air dam is made up of 3 replaceable parts and is intended to be flexible (driveway, parking curb, etc, etc). Just posting this for reference. I'm sure whatever enhancements that happen to the Model S in it's first years end up on the Model X which I have a deposit on.

Obviously the Volt went through (and continues to have some PR reference) to fires so we Volt owners understand the bizarre media attention/articles and public misunderstanding or lack of caring for details besides headlines.
Thread with pictures: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/23780-Measuring-viewing-underbody-of-the-Volt

Last edited:
So you're suggesting a discussion board where there is no discussion? This happens to be a huge issue, hence the discussion.
I was simply making an observation that the tone (omg will someone think of the children!) and lack of humility (well clearly Tesla doesn't get it so here's my proposal from 3 minutes ago that they should immediately implement) is a bit troubling. Again I think the opponents are taking notes on these reactions.

There's more overreaction here (and the many zomg-fire-do-something threads) than on the TSLA stock threads. Hard to believe.

"Increase" relative to what? A parked car in a garage? Or do you have some comparative statistics in mind that you aren't sharing with the class? ;)

It's just the fact that the battery pack spreads out over most of the car's underside that the risk of damage from road debris should be significantly higher compared to Leaf and Volt battery placement and compared to gasoline tank placement. I don't have statistics, this seems obvious to me.

I would really like to see an improvement to the design.

First I'd like to say I'm a fan of Tesla and have a desire to buy a MS. Previously the lack of automatically folding mirrors was an obstacle for considering purchase of a MS. The MS is wide and we would only have 6 inches on either side to fit through the garage door. Once in there's lots of space.

Now I have a new concern. In view of the 2 or 3 recent events in the US, I don't understand the risk associated with battery pack damage due to road debris. The surface area exposure of the battery pack to the road is definitely large and the car rides low. The battery placement is great for performance but appears to increase the likelihood of damage significantly.

I understand that the occupant stays safe, but the prospect of a total loss due to road debris is not appealing. I wonder how comprehensive insurance ratse will be affected?

Furthermore I would expect to own the car for 10-15 years and wonder how accumulated damage (scratches and bruises) could affect battery pack performance. Even if catastrophic failure isn't experienced, will I still be able to do a quick battery swap? Is there any degradation to the battery in terms of capacity or quality?

Also, I wouldn't call quarter inch aluminum plate armor. I believe It's important that Tesla address these concerns seriously and openly.

Hi Mile Erlic,

Minor nicks and scratches won't affect the battery performance unless it either (1) pierces through or (2) dents into the battery cell area.

The fact that the quarter inch is made from aluminum instead of steel actually may decrease the likelihood of (2). If something does pierce, it's likely a significant piece of debris that you have driven over and I'd prefer to have the car be as safe as possible in such a circumstance with insurance replacing the car, rather than take an increased chance at getting maimed, injured, or killed in another car.

In a traditional car, the possible scenarios would likely be:
- Minor damage to car
- Severe damage to car, no injury
- Severe damage to car, injury/death (breaching any fuel/coolant lines could cause instant fire/explosion, or blowing out the transmission, etc could cause loss of control)

From the perspective of insurance, total loss of a car is actually a minor cost compared to any liabilities if people are hurt. Risk weighted, this likely actually supports the case for lower premiums for insurance.

It's just the fact that the battery pack spreads out over most of the car's underside that the risk of damage from road debris should be significantly higher compared to Leaf and Volt battery placement and compared to gasoline tank placement. I don't have statistics, this seems obvious to me.

I would really like to see an improvement to the design.

Even if true, so what? Are we all now trying to say that an electric car must act the same as a gas car? Let's say that road debris does lead to more instances of battery pack punctures which then lead to more pack fires. That does not then translate to a greater instance of danger to the passengers. If the three instances we currently have experiences with are examples, then the Model S, even with the fires, is still one of the safest cars on the road. In all three instances the passenger walked away safely with plenty of time to do so. In one case the guy was drunk and had driven through a wall and into a tree and still got away safe.

Maybe we are all responding in the wrong way to this. Fire!!! Sure it's scary but really I think we are still significantly ahead of what happens with gas cars. Fire doesn't necessarily equal more dangerous.

Just a thought, and I could be way off base here, but I thought I'd throw this into the discussion.

In the "there are worse things than a small fire" department, someone on another board relayed this story:

There was a story my friend in a Level I trauma hospital told me about a traveler who ran over a pretty big road debris while he was traveling at a high rate of speed on I-80 AT NIGHT. Of course, he didn't see it until it was too late, and the impact was so powerful that it went through the floor board. The debris (or the floorboard sheet metal, don't know which) went up and cut one of the guy's femoral arteries. The femoral artery is one of the biggest in the human body, and supplies blood to the lower leg. It has A LOT of pressure (I have seen one cut, and has enough pressure to make blood spurt a 12-inches away from the body).

Needless to say, the traveler bled out and died in route to the hospital. He never had a chance.

I sort of thought that the most recent driver's statement that he thought the car saved his life was hyperbole, but as a surgeon maybe he'd seen or heard of similar incidents. Makes you glad to have that battery between you and the road, even if there is some risk of fire...