Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh. Another Model S fire - 2013-11-06

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an email from Tesla displaying the letter sent from the owner of the car that caught fire after running over the trailer hitch. signed as Juris Shibayama, MD. What relation does this person have to the person who ran into a utility pole while driving under the influence:

Model S Pole Crash. - Page 2

:confused:
Wow, good catch. It also appears to be in Tennessee and is a black P85.

Got an email from Tesla displaying the letter sent from the owner of the car that caught fire after running over the trailer hitch. signed as Juris Shibayama, MD. What relation does this person have to the person who ran into a utility pole while driving under the influence:

Model S Pole Crash. - Page 2

:confused:

apparently no relation. Was discussed earlier.

Also, look at the bottom of the email. Elon is going to blog shortly about the Tenn fire.

See you at the OC meet on 30th

Wow. What are the chances of two model S crashes by somebody with the same(uncommon) last name, in the same state within such a short period of time? Not that I'm saying this is a conspiracy, but there are so many coincidences with these latest Tesla fires, that it's mind boggling.

Wow. What are the chances of two model S crashes by somebody with the same(uncommon) last name, in the same state within such a short period of time? Not that I'm saying this is a conspiracy, but there are so many coincidences with these latest Tesla fires, that it's mind boggling.

Wait, you forgot, within spitting distance of the Leaf factory :)

I like this actually. "We think ride height isn't an issue, but as we remain focused first and foremost on customer satisfaction we are implementing an OTA update allowing all customers to choose to suspend low setting on active air if they wish. This will be implemented through a software update ready within the week and available to all Model S drivers, delivered in the comfort of their garage, rather than waiting months for a service center fix or years for a model-year change in any other car."

This is the sentiment I believe we should be looking for in the Musk blog. In addition, I would not be surprised to hear a statement that the engineers are looking into ways to further protect the battery. I do not think we will hear the word 'recall' but I would not be surprised that a 'retrofit' to give futher protection for the battery is being seriously considered.

Honestly. This is insane.
My first thought was they are probably just brother and sister, one of them got their model s and after test driving it or what ever the other probably ordered one identical to it... but then what are the chances they both have severe accidents within such a short period of time? crazy!

Last edited:
Ive driven a standard suspension loaner for over 3000 miles on my normal commute route and noticed a consistent 10wh/mile or more difference compared to my car. I'd like the option to override the auto ride height.

I'm no engineer but I have watched NASCAR highlights on ESPN. I would naturally assume that a lower profile would improve aerodynamics and increase range, all other things being equal. Is this not that case?

Where is the woman who crashed into the pole even named, let alone named as Shibayama? I read the linked article and didn't see any name.

Ive driven a standard suspension loaner for over 3000 miles on my normal commute route and noticed a consistent 10wh/mile or more difference compared to my car. I'd like the option to override the auto ride height.

Difference which way? Assuming worse because of aerodynamics, but helps to be clear.

Where is the woman who crashed into the pole even named, let alone named as Shibayama? I read the linked article and didn't see any name.
Look at post #19 in "model s pole crash" in the driving dynamics section. It was a quote from the article before the publisher removed her name. If you google her name plus DUI you will get that article as top hit. The Internet....it's still there even if you delete it.

Difference which way? Assuming worse because of aerodynamics, but helps to be clear.

The perfomance 85 loaner used more energy even when i was driving it in a similar way to my car. I even tried real hard to not mash on the loaner accelerator but couldn't match the reduced energy usage of my car. My typical end of day 30 mile usage for loaner was 310ish Wh/mile and my car i routinely got 290ish Wh/mile

Interestingly, the news story suggests that the black model S involved in the pole crash by "Mrs. Shibayama" was the only Model S owned in the area...

UPDATE: Expensive Tesla Electric Vehicle Crashes in Murfreesboro, Driver Charged with DUI on Murfreesboro News and Radio
It maybe was at the time. The accident took place in August. Regardless, when has the media ever bothered to get all the facts?
EVME's post in the "model s pole crash" thread that quoted the article listing her as driver was dated Aug 15. I find it interesting that so many seem to think the post with her name is some kind of conspiracy or falsehood. It predates the latest incident by months. In other words, EVME hasn't been able to edit it. I think a person can then deduce this was a factual post at the time and the editor chose to later remove the name from the linked article.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure whether this helps or hurts us - Battery Problems on Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner Are Back - See this article from today --- Battery Problems on Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner Are Back | Wall St. Cheat Sheet
It's not uncommon for an aircraft to warn of a nonexistent problem. Just like Tesla's tire pressure system warning. Get the warning but nothing's wrong. The crew was being extra cautious and the media is being extra sensational over a non-event.

EVME's post in the "model s pole crash" thread that quoted the article listing her as driver was dated Aug 15. I find it interesting that so many seem to think the post with her name is some kind of conspiracy or falsehood.

I wasn't questioning that, just hadn't seen it and saw no name of the driver in the article. Likely related - interesting.