Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ugh, Got the no loaner available letter the day before service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, just to get it out of the way, I am sharing information, not complaining.

"Unfortunately due to our loaner fleet being sold, we are unable to provide a Tesla loaner vehicle at your time of appointment, but we can provide other options of transportation that will be covered by Tesla such as Enterprise rental vehicle, Uber, or we can provide a shuttle service to your home or work."

What is odd, is that they actually say because of their "loaner fleet being sold." As if they sold all of them. I'd much prefer that they say because of higher than anticipated service volume.... etc. Plus it's oddly worded too; "we are unable to provide a Tesla loaner vehicle at your time of appointment". What's wrong with "at your appointment time?"

Luckily, I can wait another week, but I am bummed, and it might be the same in another week. Going to the Enterprise office sucks. Now, if they want to pay for an Uber driver, I have a nice 90 mile work loop I can take them on!

I nicely wrote back that I understand and can wait until they find sone loaners. Hopefully being nice will work.

This is at the Buena Park, CA service and sales center.

• Informative
Reactions: William3
Going to the Enterprise office sucks.

I had service last month at the Rocklin (NE Sacramento) center. They had no Tesla loaners, but they had a small stack of pre-printed Enterprise rental agreements with three Enterprise cars outside the front door. The front desk lady just filled my name in; I initialed some things, and she handed me keys. Easy Peasy.

They had no loaners at Costa Mesa when I dropped by car off last Friday and I got a Benz from Enterprise. I got a call saying the work will be longer than they expected and have a loaner 85 for me to come pick up. I made the two hour commute just to get back in a Tesla, even though it has no AP.

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
When you start the title with "Ugh," I'm pretty sure you are complaining. :)

Anyway, I feel your pain. I'm in a rental right now. They gave me a Ford Expedition... what a pig! From watching the app I think they just finished working on the car, so I'm hovering over the phone waiting for the call, can't wait to get back in my own vehicle.

From the Enterprise paperwork, Tesla is paying $140/day for this thing. Seems like keeping their own loaners would be more cost effective, in addition to keeping us happier!

I'm not really complaining either, but it would be nice if Tesla loaners were easier to get.

Reactions: TMobe
First, just to get it out of the way, I am sharing information, not complaining.

"Unfortunately due to our loaner fleet being sold, we are unable to provide a Tesla loaner vehicle at your time of appointment, but we can provide other options of transportation that will be covered by Tesla such as Enterprise rental vehicle, Uber, or we can provide a shuttle service to your home or work."

What is odd, is that they actually say because of their "loaner fleet being sold." As if they sold all of them. I'd much prefer that they say because of higher than anticipated service volume.... etc. Plus it's oddly worded too; "we are unable to provide a Tesla loaner vehicle at your time of appointment". What's wrong with "at your appointment time?"

Interesting. This is the service center I use, and they've been able to put me in a loaner Tesla every time I've been there (usually it's a Classic 85 without Autopilot (and sometimes without parking sensors) which makes me appreciate my car so much more. I wonder who is buying all the loaners, or if they're being used by Tesla for R&D.

Luckily, I can wait another week, but I am bummed, and it might be the same in another week. Going to the Enterprise office sucks. Now, if they want to pay for an Uber driver, I have a nice 90 mile work loop I can take them on!

I nicely wrote back that I understand and can wait until they find sone loaners. Hopefully being nice will work.

Ugh! You are complaining about... what? You can't get a Tesla loaner and have to settle for a rental car? Poor entitled boy.
You also would prefer that they lie to you about why they have no Tesla loaners?
Nice of you to correct their grammar, also (even though it's not wrong).
Interesting to see that you have considered "being nice" as a way to get your entitlement. (Hint. Complaining on this forum about petty stuff is not "being nice".)

On Tuesday, the local SC called me about 1 hour before my appointment time to tell me: not only did the SC not have any loaners, the local Enterprise Rental Co had no cars either. I had to arrange for my own ride back from the SC and to the SC when the service was done.

• Informative
Reactions: William3
I have the impression that the great success of Tesla in selling cars in the CA market seems to be leading to service centers in that area being habitually overloaded... is that the case? Do they need to add a bunch more service centers in that market? (Are other parts of the country seeing this problem also?)

Happens all the time at Mercedes, BMW, and Audi... if you buy one of their higher end models you are supposed to always get a loaner from their line. But I have been given a rental car on several occasions because the service department was full.
My Audi dealer always offered the option to reschedule service when an Audi loaner was available. Was never a big deal to me, I was just pleased to have something to drive.
People now feel entitled to have a loaner and it has to be the make of car they bought. My friends in the car business have told me stories of customers dropping their car off for service then going on 1000 mile road trips! Be happy that Tesla provides something for you to drive...

I had service last month at the Rocklin (NE Sacramento) center. They had no Tesla loaners, but they had a small stack of pre-printed Enterprise rental agreements with three Enterprise cars outside the front door. The front desk lady just filled my name in; I initialed some things, and she handed me keys. Easy Peasy.
I have been into that same Rocklin service center several times for upgrades and some repairs. It is hit or miss on what I get as a loaner. A rental car that is there and ready or a classic Model S 85 or better. I am very grateful they always offer a loaner and it is free and convenient. *sugar* load of whining about the small stuff in my humble opinion...o_O

Reactions: bonnie
I haven't gotten a loaner since late 2014 when they started rolling out Autopilot. I had a Chevy Traverse once that was horrid. I'm surprised you even got a letter. I never find out until they have me wait for Enterprise to show up.

I really wanted to drive a P85D/P90D at some point, but I suppose even when I did get loaners they were of the stripped 60kWh variety. Still better than an ICE, though.

Ugh! You are complaining about... what? You can't get a Tesla loaner and have to settle for a rental car? Poor entitled boy.
You also would prefer that they lie to you about why they have no Tesla loaners?
Nice of you to correct their grammar, also (even though it's not wrong).
Interesting to see that you have considered "being nice" as a way to get your entitlement. (Hint. Complaining on this forum about petty stuff is not "being nice".)

Gee, I thought I was being pretty clear, that I was not complaining. I have seen many posts about not being able to get MS loaners, and I thought I'd let people know that this happened to me, and that it was at the Buena Park service center. When I made the appointment in person, I was told that based on the schedule that it shouldn't be a problem.

Grammer cop, I'm not. The diction seemed odd to me, but maybe not to others. I often reread my own post here after the edit window has closed and wonder how I have survived as long as I have.

I don't think I need to be lied too, as much as I don't need information that makes me think they can't manage their own loaner fleet. Which is what I thought when I read "due to our loaner fleet being sold." That simply hangs out there in the breeze to wonder about.

My use of the word "Ugh" might not of set the correct tone, but it was more that I was disappointed since I was starting my day at Tesla, followed by meetings. I didn't have time to deal with a rental or an Uber, so I nicely rescheduled and had an uneventful rest of my day. Since not being nice, and raising a verbal sh$t storm on the phone with someone who just wants to make an appointment WOULD make me an entitled loser.

It's unfortunate that you took it any other way than just information. It was only meant as that.

Reactions: ModelX and ohmman
It's nearly impossible to get loaners at Bay Area service centers in the last year or two. And they definitely can't tell you if you'll get one or not ahead of time. ICE rentals are available on-site, and if it's got enough fuel in it for your needs, you don't even need to refill the tank before you return it. I was also told I can get an Uber ride, but that hasn't happened yet.