Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UHFS sound quality after MCU1->MCU2 upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, how do you confirm that your subwoofer is working after the upgrade?
EASY... by listening to the same songs with a lot of bass before and after MCU2 upgrade. I verified it was working in the driveway at our Tesla Service Center when I picked it up after the MCU2 upgrade. Subwoofer was on my post MCU2 install checklist.

Reactions: Shateam
I have a uhfs and it sounded fine after the upgrade. A little different but not in a bad way. The sub was definitely still working.

As far as why some would think that it sounds worse after the upgrade here's my speculation;

1. It's their imagination. This definitely happens. Sound is subjective sometimes.

2. The uhfs has a hidden set of tuning parameters that weren't set appropriately by whatever tech did the upgrade. The reason that I suspect this is because I now have more bass coming through my door speakers than before. It's as if the uhfs has a lower cutoff frequency for the non bass channels or no cutoff frequency set. I admit this is a little conspiratorial.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I had that problem. It drove me crazy for a very long time, and the solution turned out to be the least obvious thing there is. It probably occurred to everyone to check the balance, and after you saw that it was dead center where it was supposed to be, you ruled it out. I tried sliding it straight back to the middle of the backseat, and the sound quality opened up. For comparison sake, I pushed it back to the middle, and it was fixed.

Something about the MCU upgrade threw something out of calibration without affecting the display. I hope this helps others.

In retrospect, I should have tried this early on, since the front sounded tinny and the rear sounded dead, to see if it helped things sound more even. At least it's fixed.