Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UhOh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to sound stupid, and I feel that way but here goes. I just dug my key fob out of the washing machine! Has anyone had any luck with it working after being subjected to this mistreatment? I know my wife has washed (and dried) her Prius fob and it continues to work!

I'm going to qualify my post by saying that I restored water damaged cell phones for years.

With that said, rice does almost nothing. You'll have water in the housing and rice won't extract that. The best thing to do is remove the battery, hold the fob in your hand battery side out (finger side) and swing it like you're throwing a ball. You want any remaining water to fly out, or at least as much as possible.

If the cases on these snap open that's the best plan of attack and will allow you to remove every last drop.

From there you want to hit it with a hair dryer but not sustained. Hit it for 5 - 10 seconds from about 8 - 10 inches away, give it a break, rinse (not literally) and repeat.

The good news is you're dealing with fresh water and this is a low voltage device. So proper drying should restore it.

Probably not what you want to hear, but the price to replace a fob has come way down. I lost mine (not sure how because I was able to drive my car . . . it was missing when I got out) a couple of weeks ago and paid $131 to get a new one and have the car reprogramed. Took about an hour and 15 minutes (including its wash and vacuum) at the service center.

Probably not what you want to hear, but the price to replace a fob has come way down. I lost mine (not sure how because I was able to drive my car . . . it was missing when I got out) a couple of weeks ago and paid $131 to get a new one and have the car reprogramed. Took about an hour and 15 minutes (including its wash and vacuum) at the service center.
Another helpful tip I found out was that Tesla also offers a replacement "shell" should your shell become damaged for any reason (in my case it was the dog!). I ordered a new key but the tech asked if the key still works - I said yes and he recommended a quick shell replacement which only cost me something like $10-$15. Good if you're shell is scratched up and you want it to look like new again.

If you have recently bought shoes, you should have a silica gel packet in the box. Putting the fob in a sealed container with one or more of those packets will do way more good than rice will. If there are mineral or soap deposits on the fob or circuit board, it may be a good idea to rinse everything off with either distilled water or isopropyl or denatured alcohol prior to drying.

• Informative
Reactions: Old Wyseguy
I'm going to qualify my post by saying that I restored water damaged cell phones for years.

With that said, rice does almost nothing. You'll have water in the housing and rice won't extract that. The best thing to do is remove the battery, hold the fob in your hand battery side out (finger side) and swing it like you're throwing a ball. You want any remaining water to fly out, or at least as much as possible.

If the cases on these snap open that's the best plan of attack and will allow you to remove every last drop.

From there you want to hit it with a hair dryer but not sustained. Hit it for 5 - 10 seconds from about 8 - 10 inches away, give it a break, rinse (not literally) and repeat.

The good news is you're dealing with fresh water and this is a low voltage device. So proper drying should restore it.
This makes the most sense. I'd listen to this guy because it's not speculation.

• Informative
You know, back in the day when I bought my Saturn, one of the selling points was that the key fob is designed (and tested) to withstand 50+ washes in a standard washing machine. I was somewhat shocked when I realized that there are no rubber gaskets on the Model S fobs.

Tangent: Back when I was a computer support tech, a guy brought in a laptop with multiple parallel burn marks on the bottom and some warped panels. Turns out he spilled water on the laptop and thought a good drying procedure would be to set his oven to the lowest temp then stick his laptop in there for a while. Let's just say don't try this with your key fob!

I disagree with those who say that rice doesn't work. I did exactly what the OP did and washed my fob. I took the battery out, dried everything I could and also tried the fob (which I understand now is a no-no) and documented that it wasn't working. I then placed it without the battery into a small tupperware with uncooked rice in it (don't cook the rice) and covered it. I then went on a one week business trip and when I returned, the fob worked perfectly and the rice did its job -- it kept my grandkids from playing with it while it dried!

I disagree with those who say that rice doesn't work. I did exactly what the OP did and washed my fob. I took the battery out, dried everything I could and also tried the fob (which I understand now is a no-no) and documented that it wasn't working. I then placed it without the battery into a small tupperware with uncooked rice in it (don't cook the rice) and covered it. I then went on a one week business trip and when I returned, the fob worked perfectly and the rice did its job -- it kept my grandkids from playing with it while it dried!
Right but that doesn't prove rice is what did it. It could just as easily been the one week drying out period correct?

Reactions: Shaggy
This is going to sound stupid, and I feel that way but here goes. I just dug my key fob out of the washing machine! Has anyone had any luck with it working after being subjected to this mistreatment? I know my wife has washed (and dried) her Prius fob and it continues to work!

My Prius fobs have been washed and dried over a dozen times each. Never had a problem with them after that. Hope I never have to find out with the Tesla fob. I will if my wife ever becomes a regular driver of the MS.

What about a redunk in distilled water(with the battery removed first of cours) first which is non conductive and leaves no residue? (whoops. guess I should have read the othe responses first).

It would have been just as dry if you left it sitting on the counter for one week...or probably just a couple of days. Rice is not hygroscopic...if it was, rice would absorb moisture from the air and become soggy if not stored in an air-tight container. Desiccants (such as silica gel) are hygroscopic, and they either have a useable shelf life before they need to be discarded or they can be "recharged" by heating them in an oven. Storing wet electronics with a desiccant will accelerate drying. Storing wet electronics with rice will accelerate the placebo effect.