Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UhOh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't feel bad. I have one that has been lost in my house for over a year and a half. Literally within a 20 ft radius. I finally caved and bought a new one. I guess I'll find it when I move out, which won't happen because it'll be easier to croak in the house than to move all this crap!

And!!! I actually sewed one of mine into a pillow (long story) and could not drive the car car until I figured it out because I lost the first one.

Doh!:eek: Age may be good for wine. It ain't so good for me!

Here's the update and thanks to all replies on this thread.

With the information gathered here I discovered the fob shell is replaceable. That tells me the shell can be removed to facilitate drying. I found what seems to be the only video on removing the case:
and used the other information found to clean/dry the circuit board. The best part is, in the end, IT WORKS!

It would have been just as dry if you left it sitting on the counter for one week...or probably just a couple of days. Rice is not hygroscopic...if it was, rice would absorb moisture from the air and become soggy if not stored in an air-tight container. Desiccants (such as silica gel) are hygroscopic, and they either have a useable shelf life before they need to be discarded or they can be "recharged" by heating them in an oven. Storing wet electronics with a desiccant will accelerate drying. Storing wet electronics with rice will accelerate the placebo effect.

I believe you didn't read the end of my last sentence.

Here's the update and thanks to all replies on this thread.

With the information gathered here I discovered the fob shell is replaceable. That tells me the shell can be removed to facilitate drying. I found what seems to be the only video on removing the case:
and used the other information found to clean/dry the circuit board. The best part is, in the end, IT WORKS!
I wish I had had your common sense when I washed mine a year or so ago.:oops:

Only $150? That's a reasonable price! I have replaced a lexus fob and cost me $450!!!

Only if it was the only one you had resulting in them having to reprogram the ECU as well. My mother juste lost her one keyfob on her prius and had to pay about that. Had she simply added a second keyfob or replaced a keyfob when she still had another keyfob on the ECU, it would have only been about $120 at the dealer.

If you really paid $450 for just the fob and fob programming, which you can do yourself if you have an existing fob that still works, then you paid way more than you should have. I've added additional Lexus fobs and the most I ever paid was $130 for the fob itself and another $10 for the key cut.