Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UI speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S. Over the past few updates, the UI has become painfully slow. Particularly when navigating. The GPS plot seems to grind the computer to a halt.

Does this exist on newer models? Do other owners of older Model S's see this as well? I wonder if they've swapped the computer hardware internally in the past ~2 years to faster modules and whether we can request an upgrade...

+1 to scottm's suggestion, and to add to it: I was seeing the same thing on my Oct 2014 S. I'm fairly sure that the touchscreen hardware hasn't been upgraded since the introduction of the Model S (same computation speed, in other words). My Oct 2014 car is no snappier than my 2012 car was.

Damn. You'd think they'd have put some effort into updating the hardware. The current functionality is getting worse and worse every year. I've gotten to the point where starting nav means I have to wait ~10s for the rear camera to show up.

Also, is there a bug report functionality for the Model S? Having to manually delete recent history to free up whatever search algorithm they're using seems like a huge software hole.

Damn. You'd think they'd have put some effort into updating the hardware. The current functionality is getting worse and worse every year. I've gotten to the point where starting nav means I have to wait ~10s for the rear camera to show up.

Also, is there a bug report functionality for the Model S? Having to manually delete recent history to free up whatever search algorithm they're using seems like a huge software hole.

While I can't comment on your experience, my late '15 seems to be just fine. I rarely have any nag tapping through the menus, my camera comes up instantly every time, and whenever I ask to be navigated to a new destination the searching\routing\displaying happens in less than 5 seconds unless it's a particularly long route than it might take 6 or 7 from pressing the voice command button till fully complete...

Jeff

While I can't comment on your experience, my late '15 seems to be just fine. I rarely have any nag tapping through the menus, my camera comes up instantly every time, and whenever I ask to be navigated to a new destination the searching\routing\displaying happens in less than 5 seconds unless it's a particularly long route than it might take 6 or 7 from pressing the voice command button till fully complete...

Jeff

OTOH, my October 2015 S90D is encountering slowdowns after a few days/weeks... It improved by removing most of Nav history; It appears somewhat better everytime I reboot the 17" for a while; but I do believe there is something going on with my having a large, as in 16,000 music tracks on an over 128GB USB stick I use in my MS. I'm gradually working my way through different sized USB sticks, different combinations of folder depths, varying number of tracks, and use of Folders vs other tabs that do and don't show album art, as Tesla fails at consistently showing album art via each of the tabs using Gracenotes and then caching some amount of art, but never uses imbedded Album Art that wouldn't require as much processor capacity or storage to maintain. Just as some have found with Nav History, even without being able to yet pinpoint the USB issue, something seems to also be going on by my having a relatively large amount of personal USB music connected to Media Player (and what I have is less than half what I used to have accessible with my physical iPods in previous Lexis and MBZ I sold and replaced with my single MS). As I've said in other threads, Tesla either has a memory mgmt, tasking priority issue, and/or isn't setting proper limits on what their software should accommodate to match the hardware memory and paging limitiations that exist in their Linux implementation. Even though I can't prove it (yet) as a fact, my slowdown and unresponsive problems seem to sadly get worse with each firmware release as a Tesla introduces new functions -- supporting my hypothesis of where the problems exist.

Time for a little more basic maintenance that does not appear to have been attended to thus far.

OTOH, my October 2015 S90D is encountering slowdowns after a few days/weeks... It improved by removing most of Nav history; It appears somewhat better everytime I reboot the 17" for a while; but I do believe there is something going on with my having a large, as in 16,000 music tracks on an over 128GB USB stick I use in my MS. I'm gradually working my way through different sized USB sticks, different combinations of folder depths, varying number of tracks, and use of Folders vs other tabs that do and don't show album art, as Tesla fails at consistently showing album art via each of the tabs using Gracenotes and then caching some amount of art, but never uses imbedded Album Art that wouldn't require as much processor capacity or storage to maintain. Just as some have found with Nav History, even without being able to yet pinpoint the USB issue, something seems to also be going on by my having a relatively large amount of personal USB music connected to Media Player (and what I have is less than half what I used to have accessible with my physical iPods in previous Lexis and MBZ I sold and replaced with my single MS). As I've said in other threads, Tesla either has a memory mgmt, tasking priority issue, and/or isn't setting proper limits on what their software should accommodate to match the hardware memory and paging limitiations that exist in their Linux implementation. Even though I can't prove it (yet) as a fact, my slowdown and unresponsive problems seem to sadly get worse with each firmware release as a Tesla introduces new functions -- supporting my hypothesis of where the problems exist.

Time for a little more basic maintenance that does not appear to have been attended to thus far.

Very interesting... I keep my nav destinations reasonably clean, especially in light of what we've learned here lately about allowing them to pile up. I'm exclusively a TuneIn\Slacker user, truth be told, I haven't ever tried USB based media to date... :)

Thanks for your input, as my data point is very basic.

Jeff