Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.20.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a shame they don't list what specific parts of Autopilot are improved in updates.
For example, the update prior to this one made the car slow down for corners, that seemed release note worthy to be to be honest. Maybe they could have a button to show advanced release notes so nerds like me can read the specifics. :D

It’s incredible that slowing down for corners has only just arrived.

• Funny
Reactions: m3gt2
It’s incredible that slowing down for some corners has only just arrived. Hopefully they will add slowing down for the other corners soon.

Let me correct that :D

I think something on the map to highlight sections of road with additional data (such as corner speeds, NoA availability etc) might be useful. That would highlight upcoming sections of the trip where the car is able to TACC/autopilot at a higher level.

Drove to IKEA today. The fairly short motorway journey and busy car park gave me a decent opportunity to try a few things.

Sentry mode: Despite lots of activity in the car park, my car only seems to have recorded me walking away from the car, and coming back to it. On these recordings there were other cars going past, staff moving trolleys around, people walking around etc. so I would expect a lot more events to be recorded. I'm guessing the car is going to sleep despite sentry mode being on? I'll see if waking the car up periodically makes any difference next time I park somewhere busy.

Autopilot/autosteer: Seems more refined. Partly might be due to me having changed the distance setting previously, but it seems a bit more gentle when traffic ahead is slowing down. Autosteer seems to track the middle of the lane very well. There was one weird moment where it felt like it was going to try and follow the remains of some old/temporary road markings. Overall, happy with it.

Speech recognition: This has been awful in the past but I remember reading that it had improved? I tried telling it "I'm hot" to lower the air conditioning temperature, and it did the same as before and thought I said "take me home". Surprisingly, it understood me wanting to play a Royksopp track (it found something else with the same name so I actually had to say "by Royksopp".) I thought I'd take it up a notch and get it to play "Eple", which worked after I pronounced it "ee-plee" - at first it transcribed it wrong and then corrected itself.

It certainly helped me Vanilla! Though my format USB button is still greyed out - I assume this is because I am using an SSD.

The other weird thing is that my SSD did not have the blue power light lit when I had it plugged into my Taptes splitter (that came with the wireless charging pad I bought) but did light when I plugged it straight into the USB. I say this is odd as it worked fine with the splitter before the update. Weird!

Just had a nightmare! Left car on a dodgy street and made sure sentry was enabled before I got out of the car, even checked the app whilst I was walking away from the car. Then whilst heading back to the car from doing some shopping I receive a notification stating alarm triggered. Rush back to car and fortunately no visible sign of damage but couldnt wait to load up the viewer to see what had happened. Opened the viewer and "video cannot be played, please select another footage". What the hell?!

2020.20.12 is embarrasing.

Reactions: CMc1
Not sure if it’s got worse or just that more people see it since it’s been viewable in-car.

since having sentry mode (I’ve had it enabled almost 24/7 since) I can’t remember a time when the usb didn’t have some video stub files rather than content. The in-car errors are the same stub files.

I'm pretty certain that many dashcam viewer failures are not caused by 0k files.

I very rarely get stub/0k files. At least, not since I velcro'd my media drive to the car to stop it flapping in the wind and taking movenment off the USB plug/socket.

Being sad, I just double checked an old media card that had been in use, but not continuously, between 23/12 and 12/05. The number of folders that had stub/0k files were:

SavedClips 50GB 7 / 55 folders (~50 of 1623 files)
SentryClips 64GB 1 / 171 folders (2 of 2137 files)

Notes to myself:
Of which all but 2, both consecutive folders in saved clips, had no more than 2 minutes worth of 0k files, but typically just a minutes outage. The 2 consecutive folders that had more of an occurrence had 26 0k files between them, largely concentrated across several minutes of recording. This quite possibly coincided with when the media drive enclosure became unstuck from the velcro in cold weather and the old flapping in the wind problem reoccurring. Oddly, one of these clips, whilst being in saved (dasham) clips, were actually sentry clips from the car parked up and an adjacent car leaving within 10 minutes after the corruption. And on second folder, a whole host of unplayable files, but around 2-7MB in size, rather than the typical 30MB ish. Again, car was in sentry but these ended up in saved clips.

I also checked the current media card, unplugged as our USB is not currently working. Not a single 0k file on it across 13/05 to 19/05. These were all recorded on 2020.12.11.2 and some recorded whilst being serviced at Tesla! I think their 2m is much closer than my 2m shall we say...
upload_2020-6-27_10-13-27.png

Before going to SC, part of this drive was used to check the dashcam viewer, which didn't play in the viewer. So I think, dashcam viewer failures are not only caused by 0k files.