Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Pricing piss take

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You might be waiting a good while, not sure they've said they will make Model 3 in Berlin have they? Or you assuming that tariffs might force their hand on this?
Hard to say with any certainty. Since they have moved UK Y production there it would seem logical to do the same for 3, to bypass the Chinese tariffs.

You’re right though it might be a while if the Y keeps Berlin busy enough.

In my experience it works both ways. The big difference between UK and the rest of the civilised world is that we will pay anything for a foreign car and the Tesla will continue to be overpriced as long as we buy them in sufficient quantities.
I don't think Tesla are necessarily tying to overcharge UK customers. They significantly cut prices in the UK in Q1 2023 to the current price, then did some huge discounts on those prices in the first half of 2023 to shift the stock they had coming in.

Today they aren't doing the discounts, but they essentially need to balance the supply that they have coming into the UK with the current level of demand. If they had weaker demand, they would cut the prices accordingly to clear the stock by quarter end.

There is probably less supply from Shanghai available to allocate to the UK currently with other markets opening up (Malaysia, Chile, etc). I would guess that once Berlin is churning out RHD Model Ys at a high level, there will be greater equivalence between UK and EU pricing.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: roadcred
Isn’t the reality that Tesla are like all other car sellers in that they have a number of levers to balance supply and demand - list price, finance rates, part ex valuations etc. They sometimes get into straight discount too.

And these differ both across the product range in this country and also different from country to country.

Musk did once say everyone pays the same, I think at the time that was taken as being globally with just local taxes and currency fluctuations causing differences, today I think it simply means there aren’t negotiations on an individual basis.

Where does this atittude square with Tesla offering 1.8% APR for the Model Y, and a minimum 5.9% for the Model 3, up to 9.6% for the Performance?
Because rather than discounting the cars they subsidise the finance instead. It’s just a different lever to pull.

It also helps to some extent used car prices than hard cuts.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Where does this atittude square with Tesla offering 1.8% APR for the Model Y, and a minimum 5.9% for the Model 3, up to 9.6% for the Performance?
0.5% on Model Y LR right now,
I've spent the morning trying to tell myself why I shouldn't trade in my current MY with 48,000 miles and 4.8% HP (business) for £31,000 and get a brand new like for like MY on 0.5% APR and use the 8,000 equity as deposit. Would go from £880 / mth to £780 / mth plus capital allowance benefits etc.

Also got my head in my hands realising I've (well my business) lost £25,000 in 2 years for 48,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
0.5% on Model Y LR right now,
I've spent the morning trying to tell myself why I shouldn't trade in my current MY with 48,000 miles and 4.8% HP (business) for £31,000 and get a brand new like for like MY on 0.5% APR and use the 8,000 equity as deposit. Would go from £880 / mth to £780 / mth plus capital allowance benefits etc.

Also got my head in my hands realising I've (well my business) lost £25,000 in 2 years for 48,000 miles.
I feel you.

My myp lost £24k in 16k miles in a year. T

Last edited:
Only for HP, not PCP which is the product most people look at.
Last time I looked, PCP rate was 1.8% for MY LR,
I am paying 4.9%.
The monthly difference, when the £1,500 lower cash price for my Q2/22 config is also in the mix, is significant.
Am I happy? Sure; I just think of it as the EAP or earlier adopter premium. Would I change anything? Maybe give the EAP a miss🤔

Last time I looked, PCP rate was 1.8% for MY LR,
I am paying 4.9%.
The monthly difference, when the £1,500 lower cash price for my Q2/22 config is also in the mix, is significant.
Am I happy? Sure; I just think of it as the EAP or earlier adopter premium. Would I change anything? Maybe give the EAP a miss🤔
Same as you. I have considered rolling into a new model as I'm halfway through and save nearly 200 / nth but is it worth the trouble?...

Same as you. I have considered rolling into a new model as I'm halfway through and save nearly 200 / nth but is it worth the trouble?...
Ah! I did not state my point clearly: the PCP price of a Tesla Model Y is in fact (despite the "piss take"comments) much cheaper than one ordered in Q1/22 for delivery at end of Q2/22 (the wait was fun). However, apart from some unhappy force majeure, I will be keeping her for the duration and then some.

Teslas and cars in general may still cost more here than in some countries but that ever was the way for us in the UK. People used to go to great lengths to save money by various legal and nefarious means of importation. In Scandinavia, the pre tax cost of cars was the cheapest in Western Europe because the tax on cars was so high. The manufacturers "subsidised" the price to a level that, when tax was added, would sell. Pricing tended to be based on what each market would stand. I daresay some subtle 'car-telling" was also rife.