Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Pricing piss take

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recon the rates are at 1.8% because we're at an end of product cycle, when Juniper will come it will surely soar back to 5.9% or above as it is currently for Highlands
The mistake is to think that Tesla marketing techniques represent some paradigm shift; it's as old as the trade just not so open/blatant but rather handled at dealer level and without the publicity that attends every Tesla twitch.

The mistake is to think that Tesla marketing techniques represent some paradigm shift; it's as old as the trade just not so open/blatant but rather handled at dealer level and without the publicity that attends every Tesla twitch.
100%

To suggest that Tesla doesn't adjust its prices / interest rates to balance supply and demand, is to suggest that it should have a glut of stock or massive waiting lists.

To be in a market economy all companies must react to market forces, to sell what they have at any given time.

I think because Teslas has such a streamlined range, they sell a lot more of specific vehicles which impacts things like residuals a lot more.

I think because Teslas has such a streamlined range, they sell a lot more of specific vehicles which impacts things like residuals a lot more.
I guess that could be part of it. It seems that once you get in £60k to £100k plus territory, depreciation for all top end cars is quite significant. Perhaps because the well off can afford to buy new and the less well off need the second hand prices to fall hard before they buy. Even as I write this, I fear I might be talking ball - who knows.🤔
I keep my cars for a long time thereby avoiding the issue.
What I really have trouble coming to terms with is the near-exponential annual rise in insurance costs which is not so avoidable.

Last edited:
and I sit there with close to 10 k gap between my loan balance and trade in value...

noooooo-crying.gif

and I sit there with close to 10 k gap between my loan balance and trade in value...

noooooo-crying.gif

What kind of loan? By loan balance do you mean the sum of the outstanding payments?
Is this regarding the final payment on a PCP? Then give the car back. Or does it relate to an early settlement of a PCP? If so, don't settle early unless you intend to keep the car for a few years.
Or is it something else?
I have no idea of the value of my car and don't want to know for the next five years or so. (Only a year to go on my PCP so maybe I will take a peak then)😥

Sorry! The above should read that the traditional dealer trade's tactics were not as open/blatant as Tesla's (nimble) responses to market forces.

What kind of loan? By loan balance do you mean the sum of the outstanding payments?
Is this regarding the final payment on a PCP? Then give the car back. Or does it relate to an early settlement of a PCP? If so, don't settle early unless you intend to keep the car for a few years.
Or is it something else?
I have no idea of the value of my car and don't want to know for the next five years or so. (Only a year to go on my PCP so maybe I will take a peak then)😥
You’ll likely want to make a judgment call on VT’ing the vehicle well before the “end” of your PCP. If you’ve only a year to go you’re likely getting within 2-3 months of VT becoming available to you, which can be a very useful opportunity to ditch the vehicle early if its market value is already under its GFV.

It can be more cost effective to VT rather than send back at the end of the PCP if you’re planning to not retain the vehicle anyway at balloon payment time, and your VT rights are firmly enshrined in law.

Our 2022 Y today “valued” on Motorway at £32,582. The GFV on the PCP finishing in August 2026 (4 year PCP) is £27.914, a delta of £4,668. Do I think that vehicle is going to deprecate more than that £4,668 in the next two years? Of course I do, so I will likely be VT’ing it and perhaps VT’ing early (attracting a charge rather than waiting to hit 50% naturally) if the numbers say that would be advantageous.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: browellm