Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a go this evening in the dark, on the country roads is absolutely great, but when you're coming into a town where vehicles are parked it's a bit weird as it tries to decide if they're moving or not.

However, near me there are some dimly lit town streets, but lit more than enough that you don't need full beams. Previously the tesla would flash them on and then take them off once it realised there were streetlights. Now it leaves them on, and because it's lit well enough, it's difficult to see if the matrix lights are actually doing their job to oncoming traffic. I didn't get flashed but I didn't feel at ease either.
Yep I've just been out for a drive for the sole intention of testing them as I'll have seldom little night driving until the nights start drawing back in come October.

I went down a long, dark back road and they didn't activate... hit a street-lit area and they came on! 😆 That said, they worked brilliantly on the same long, dark, road on the way back through - I guess it just wasn't quite dark enough for the car to think they needed activating at first as it wasn't long after sunset. I could see the pixels dimming even in the street-lit area and I tried to pay close attention to occupants of oncoming vehicles - didn't once see anyone lit up.

Very happy with the update though. I think I'll still turn off main beam when I'm in a street-lit area out of habit, then enable high beam/adaptive with the push of the stalk like I would have on a car with manual full beam.

I tried them out this evening as well. Same view as the two posts above, I'll not be leaving them on all the time, but they were fantastic on country lanes where I'd previously have been swapping high between on and off. They also worked well on the motorway.

It's very easy to turn on and off as well so that's good.

Reactions: squerble
I know this has been apparent for a while now and not new to this update, but one thing that’s really bugging me about the sat nav recently is the fact that when on an A road or motorway, instead of telling you to leave at Junction X in XX miles, it literally tells you to stay on at EVERY junction you pass until you pass the last junction before you need to leave. It makes for a much less relaxing trip. Why do I need to be told to stay on the motorway at every junction… just tell me which one I need to get off at, and in how many miles!!!

Does anyone know if I flick off the high beams when it's not needed in street lit areas, will they stay off for the rest of the trip (until manually used) or 'revert to auto' when required?
There are two modes, dipped and adaptive. If you set it to dipped then it'll stay dipped.

When in adaptive it will be either
- dipped if there is sufficient street lights
- full beam with turning off pixels for other vehicles
It seems to take 30s or so to switch between these modes, so it won't go to dipped as soon as there is a street light

I had a totally different experience to what I expected based on what everyone else has been saying with my first drive on the Adaptive Highbeams. I live in town and popped out to Tesco about 20:30 this evening. My route is a few dimly lit side roads, then a couple of short stretches on dual carriageways, then turn off to the supermarket - maybe 10 minutes total each way.

I was concerned it’d just have them blaring inappropriately but it turned them on only twice, both times on dual carriageway when there were no other cars near and the rest of the time it just kept to normal dipped headlights which was completely unexpected based on what others have shared. Not complaining but not what I expected - need to do a proper dark run tomorrow evening to test some more.

Got the update yesterday and had a long night drive home. The lights work really well, dipping in obviously built up areas. Still not perfect tho as they didn't dip in the 40mph and 50mph stretches of the A31 - not needed there with street lights.
It may be a placebo update effect, but the wipers were so much better, a little overactive so still need to manually adjust but less so.
Question, with all the software and user experience improvements over the years why do Teslas depreciate like other brands that do no updates?

In the world of Tesla, an update doesn’t always equate to improvement. Many times, a Tesla update results in a decline.
And hardware changes, matrix lights aren’t on 4 year old cars so no adaptive, and no official options on warranty after 50k miles on the general stuff, but I suspect the main reason is 2-3 years ago they dominated deliveries into company car schemes, they’re now flooding the used market so over supply there and competing with artificially low salary sacrifice pricing due to tax benefits, why buy a used car when a new one on is subsidised?

I tried the adaptive headlights for the first time last night and after pushing the stalk forward to activate them they came on and worked but never once turned off even when I was in some heavily lit streets. I would have expected them to turn off at that point.
Will try again next time out driving late.

I tried the adaptive headlights for the first time last night and after pushing the stalk forward to activate them they came on and worked but never once turned off even when I was in some heavily lit streets. I would have expected them to turn off at that point.
Will try again next time out driving late.
I think you’ve overridden the auto function and selected manual high beam.
If you’ve selected auto lights and adaptive lights in the menu the car decides when to use the high beam and matrix functions.

Reactions: boombap
I think you’ve overridden the auto function and selected manual high beam.
If you’ve selected auto lights and adaptive lights in the menu the car decides when to use the high beam and matrix functions.
Arrr ok, perhaps that's it. So leave the menu options selected and when driving both light icons will be green and just go with that. Once in a dark enough road it will automatically come on?
When I pushed the stalk it had the blue icon with A in it so thought that meant auto and would handle it from there.

Arrr ok, perhaps that's it. So leave the menu options selected and when driving both light icons will be green and just go with that. Once in a dark enough road it will automatically come on?
When I pushed the stalk it had the blue icon with A in it so thought that meant auto and would handle it from there.
If it's on in settings and you have the blue lights with an A then you should be in the correct mode.

I think it's particular about the amount/colour of street lights but I can't really prove it. For example on the A40 near me there are tall very white LEDs that it doesn't dip for, but soon after I turn onto a side street with lower and more yellow lights it dips. There's always going to need to be a definition of what counts, and given Tesla that's not going to be right for the UK :)

I'm also not clear if it's related to speed, I think not in my testing but it's all guess work.

If it's on in settings and you have the blue lights with an A then you should be in the correct mode.

I think it's particular about the amount/colour of street lights but I can't really prove it. For example on the A40 near me there are tall very white LEDs that it doesn't dip for, but soon after I turn onto a side street with lower and more yellow lights it dips. There's always going to need to be a definition of what counts, and given Tesla that's not going to be right for the UK :)

I'm also not clear if it's related to speed, I think not in my testing but it's all guess work.
No I didn't see the blue icon until I clicked the stalk forward even though it was on in the settings.

No I didn't see the blue icon until I clicked the stalk forward even though it was on in the settings.
Pushing the stalk forwards will toggle between 100% dipped (shows the dipped lights icon only) or adaptive (adds the blue A lights and then either dipped or full). The only scenario in which you get a non-adaptive full beam is while you pull the stalk towards you (to flash someone).

Reactions: MovingSouth
Pushing the stalk forwards will toggle between 100% dipped (shows the dipped lights icon only) or adaptive (adds the blue A lights and then either dipped or full). The only scenario in which you get a non-adaptive full beam is while you pull the stalk towards you (to flash someone).
So in the menus if I have auto and adaptive on, when I start driving do I need to see the blue icon with an A in it for it to be working and automatic?

Because when I set if last hight I had it on in the menu but when I started driving I just had two green icons and fairly certain once I hit the dark section nothing happened until I pushed forward on the stalk

Reactions: Medved_77
It's slightly complicated;
  • A blue headlight icon at any time means that high beams are on, if it has an A inside it then that means auto high beams are active and if you've selected adaptive beams from the toggle switch in the lights settings menu then you'll get automatic pixel control.
  • If there's a green headlight icon then dipped beams are on, and if you also have a grey icon with A inside it then auto high beams are waiting to activate.
  • If there's no grey headlight icon with an A inside then auto high beams are not activated - either from the light settings menu, or if they're on in that menu then they've been temporarily turned off by pushing the stalk forward.
  • If auto high beam has been turned off from the light settings menu then you won't get any automatic activation and every time you press the headlight stalk forward (when the dipped beams are on) you'll get high beams.

1712133690707.png

So in the menus if I have auto and adaptive on, when I start driving do I need to see the blue icon with an A in it for it to be working and automatic?

Because when I set if last hight I had it on in the menu but when I started driving I just had two green icons and fairly certain once I hit the dark section nothing happened until I pushed forward on the stalk
You've got auto high beams turned off from within the lights setting menu.

I'm yet to drive in the dark (curse the lengthening days!) but this is exactly what I want to hear. This is how I hoped they'd work 🙂