Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was stupid enough to pay in full straight away,

I've read a few such accounts in threads here, over the years (but might have been specifically for new cars). The general story was that Tesla support said that an invoice should never have been generated until the car was "ready". I think likely that the back office software (or some eager-beaver, not following operating procedure) sometimes generates an invoice "early", and the punter, not unreasonably, pays it assuming that is necessary, at that time, to secure the purchase. Whereas the norm is "invoice later, at more appropriate time"

So I reckon just more "Tesla chaos", sadly.

Last car I had they had to issue something like 5 invoices. First one had not discounted the £small deposit. Then the trade in was missing, then wrong. And so on. I find it impossible to believe that the process of generating an invoice, for a new car, with a trade in, is "unusual", and that generating it manually is 100% daft. But with very rapid growth in a company all sorts of "can't fix that, work around it" arises, and along with it more chaos and lost profit too of course, and plenty of pissed off punters.

Reactions: SteveH13
I have to say, this thread is very cathartic. I have resigned myself to buying the most expensive car I ever have (not on a PCP), but ironically that it will be accompanied by the worst customer care I have ever had. I've decided to work on the basis that I have got a great bargain, the car will be amazing when I do get it and that I will thoroughly enjoy driving it. I'm also working on the basis that Tesla wouldn't want to resell any absolutely trashed returns and that I'm not going to get a car with four heavily repaired wheels, or torn interior, or excessively scratched and dinted bodywork.

Ultimately, if it does turn out to compare badly with the local examples that I have seen IRL and the extra 12 month warranty doesn't fill the gap, I'll return it. Given that folks have been told they need to collect their cars from locations such as Aberdeen, I've looked much further than I normally would and I can definitely get what I want, albeit a bit more expensive. I'm just trying to relax and sit out the next few weeks watching the remaining regular warranty disappear and waiting to see if that tipping point between frustration, price and alternative choice arrives or not.

I have to say, this thread is very cathartic. I have resigned myself to buying the most expensive car I ever have (not on a PCP), but ironically that it will be accompanied by the worst customer care I have ever had. I've decided to work on the basis that I have got a great bargain, the car will be amazing when I do get it and that I will thoroughly enjoy driving it. I'm also working on the basis that Tesla wouldn't want to resell any absolutely trashed returns and that I'm not going to get a car with four heavily repaired wheels, or torn interior, or excessively scratched and dinted bodywork.

Ultimately, if it does turn out to compare badly with the local examples that I have seen IRL and the extra 12 month warranty doesn't fill the gap, I'll return it. Given that folks have been told they need to collect their cars from locations such as Aberdeen, I've looked much further than I normally would and I can definitely get what I want, albeit a bit more expensive. I'm just trying to relax and sit out the next few weeks watching the remaining regular warranty disappear and waiting to see if that tipping point between frustration, price and alternative choice arrives or not.
Yeah, I just call them every couple of days now to see if anything has changed, it never has. I've stopped even getting annoyed with them anymore. I'm a shadow of the man I was 2 weeks ago, I think when I get the car I'll just sit in it and cry.

The weird thing for me is I don't desperately want or need a Tesla. We've presently got a Leaf / Outlander PHEV combo that's working very well for us.

The Leaf has got to the point where it's only worth about £6k, but it's still good for 90 miles or so on a full charge, and on the very rare instances we need to go a very long way the PHEV gets us there in comfort, and if I do have to put a bit of fuel in it's not that much in the grand scheme of things.

The sensible thing to do is to tell Tesla to do one, cite the Distance Selling Regs and hope I can get my deposit back without too much bother. That doesn't give me a new gadget to play with though, and I'm torn. I really am.

And I was told it was due to work needing done on the car although they couldn’t say what nor why there had been a confirmed date for over a week before that was pulled

. Contacted via the onlie chat to someone who was unbelivable rude and shrot with me who then said car was still at Corby awaiting refurbishment. Not sure how much refurbishment an 18 moth old car with 13k miles should need

It seems that whenever work needs doing to get a new car sold by the quarter end they stop all work on used cars regardless of the number of customers it effects or how many addition hours are added to the job due to stopping work mid job.

Likewise for car transport capacity, so if they have any problems it will be used cars that are dumps to make space.

It would be much better if Tesla stopped taking orders for used cars in the last 4 weeks of the quarter with a message on the website saying when used cars will be offered for sale again. Then in the 1st 4 weeks of the next quarter run the delivery centres like used car warehouses with customers expected to buy a car on the day and to come back another day if they spec they like is not onsite.

A system that gave an addition discount (or longer warranty) for anyone who visits Corby and buys a car on the spot that is ready to go would also help.

I expect Tesla does not even have space to store tradeins near the delivery centre so even a car that needs no work have to be transported a long distance to be stored/inspected.

Reactions: Exy1 and Matrel
Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 13.32.43.png

I think I found our cars...

• Funny
Reactions: AndyFov and Matrel
Looks like i could be waiting for a while!
Yuck, although to be fair, it's nice to see them saying 4-6 weeks. Whenever I chased previously they were consistent on a 2-3 weeks for used cars, so their current delay looks more practical and realistic (and hopefully is over promising and they will under deliver 😂 ). It would be nice if they added the time you were waiting to the warranty though, at least for cars that are sat there burning their regular warranty.

Yuck, although to be fair, it's nice to see them saying 4-6 weeks. Whenever I chased previously they were consistent on a 2-3 weeks for used cars, so their current delay looks more practical and realistic (and hopefully is over promising and they will under deliver 😂 ). It would be nice if they added the time you were waiting to the warranty though, at least for cars that are sat there burning their regular warranty.
LOL you missed the 4-6+ so it could be 6+ which covers them for how ever long its gonna take.. I am seriously considering buying from other dealerships.. or even a private sale possibly from auto trader.

LOL you missed the 4-6+ so it could be 6+ which covers them for how ever long its gonna take.. I am seriously considering buying from other dealerships.. or even a private sale possibly from auto trader.
Oh wow, yeah 6+, that wouldn't be good. I have to say, looking at the current Tesla website stock, you are paying roughly £2K for the extra 12 month warranty comparing like to like (as much as one can with the little information Tesla provide). I've been very tempted by a couple I've seen on Auto Trader. [edited for clarity]

Seriously, even if there are thousands, you'd think they'd hammer out a quick email along the lines of:

"We've not forgotten about you! The extraordinary growth of Tesla has resulted in our turnround centres being overwhelmed. You'll take your delivery as soon as we're able to do so. We're grateful for your patience as we know how excited you must be to get behind the wheel of your acquisition. As a thank you, anyone who finds themselves waiting over 4 weeks between placing their order and taking delivery is entitled to claim1000 free supercharging miles courtesy of Mr E Musk."

That might calm tempers?

Still, what do I know? He's the richest man on the planet, and I'm very much not.