Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK: buying from Tesla used inventory.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’ve taken out the loan for the new car then budget for 2 or 3 payments coming out without actually having a car.
If you have to sell your old car asap to make money work out short term then I wouldn’t say you have put yourself in a great spot tbh

This is like the circle of life. I pass on the mantle of seemingly eternal frustration to Phil! Welcome to the fold.

I'd just wait and see. I'd like to hope that I'm an outlier, whilst I was strung along for nearly 3 months during that time most others got their cars, and many were delighted with them. Ultimately £28k is a great price for a M3P.

I could have kept waiting, and maybe in a couple of weeks I'd have found myself rather impressed with my SR+ and feeling that all was forgiven. That can't happen now because I had a fit of pique and cancelled as a matter of principle. Hoping your Tesla experience goes a bit better than mine!

Reactions: ACarneiro
Been reading through this thread on and off

My summary would be:

Tesla COMMs useless. Whatever date they give you may not materialise - including when they announce that the car is ready, you take the day off work and arrange transport / buy a trail ticket ... and then day before you are told "Not ready" and it may be weeks before it actually is - i.e. it never was ready and they never bothered to tell you until 11th-hour.

When you eventually get the car it is likely that you will be pleased. But a small number have been given cars that are nowhere near fit-for-purpose - which after weeks of "we are getting your car ready / waiting for parts / having a 3rd party respray / valet / remove the WideBoy add-ons of previous owner" is all the more galling as patently untrue.

Once you do get to pick it up there will likely just be some bod operating out of the boot of a car. Try asking if his name is Del Boy ...

A few have got compensation / vouchers. Good luck with that ...

Reactions: ringi and Durzel
Yes, it's at Rockingham, but I'd not start making advanced plans if I were you.

When I bought mine it was in Corby, but I was told delivery (which is actually collection) would occur in Edinburgh,

They then told me this would be the NEC. They then said North London. They then said they'd deliver it to me, but that didn't happen in the timeframe they said it would.

I don't really understand why Tesla's systems are so inconsistent. I ordered an Inventory MX. On the inventory page, it was listed as being in Nottingham. When I clicked on the car details, it showed the location as Sheffield. I actually ordered it whilst I was in the Birmingham Tesla Centre. The guy in there told me to ignore that. He looked on his internal systems and said it's actually in Corby.

On Thursday, a guy from Tesla Nottingham called me to tell me how things were progressing with the car. I told him I understood the car was actually in Corby. He said, 'Nope, it's in Nottingham'. 'Are you sure?" I asked. 'Yep, I'm standing next to it. There's a valet here preparing it.'

It's actually funny how they don't know... unless they're standing next to it!

• Funny
Reactions: AndyFov
Been reading through this thread on and off for days after paying the £200 reservation fee for a "cheap" m3p which came up at £28500 on Tuesday night. I really want the years warenty and eap hence waiting for a cheap enough one to come up from used inventory. After reading the horror stories on here starting to wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I messaged them yesterday to ask what my waiting time could look like and got the reply "oh you only ordered yesterday (it was 2 days ago but let's not go splitting hairs) and you won't hear anything for at least 2 weeks" sounds like I'm off to a great start.

Have another car to sell and at the moment 2 bank loans to make payments on as selling the old car will pay off the old loan, great joy awaits, hmmmm

Anyway 1st post, nice to be here and read your posts.
Welcome, buckle in for the ride! I'm hoping the experience is much better for you.

I'm almost a week into ownership, there's a few odd things creeping up such as all the tyres with no caps, a dirty back portion of the car (scuffs and scrapes on the ceiling/side interior) and now I'm getting squeaking when steering at slow speeds. Looking around it's quite a common issue and believe it should be fixed under warranty.

Aside from that, enjoying driving the car. I'm getting a bit of range anxiety and it'll take a while to understand what level of driving drains what from the battery. But it's pleasant to drive.

it'll take a while to understand what level of driving drains what from the battery

if you haven't already tried it:

Put destination in SatNav
Use the CONSUMPTION : TRIP to view a graph of predicted vs. actual consumption.

Tesla-energy-app-hero.jpg

As you drive then if arrival-prediction is below what you are comfortable with (e.g. 10%) then slow down (50 MPH) or plan to charge.

If its a bit borderline then traffic / roadworks may well sort it out for you

Once you have plenty in hand, and recharging is available at destination, and the more so as you get closer to destination (and confidence of arrival %age grows) then you can speed up :)

Be careful about navigating to Supercharger as that is likely to bring on Preconditioning which will use a fair bit. if you are borderline then change navigation to "somewhere nearby" (e.g. elsewhere in the Services area, or the motorway junction exit point) to prevent automatic precondition (but you will arrive with sub-optimal battery temperature, which may increase charging time). When you are, say, 50- miles out, and if you have some "spare", then you could change SatNav back to Supercharger and let precondition start.

Beware of adverse weather, particularly thunderstorms in summer - pushing all that water out of the way, mile after mile, uses a lot of energy (in ICE too). Other than that SatNav is likely to have a reasonably good prediction (i.e. using current temperature etc.) unless you are towing something big!

That can't happen now because I had a fit of pique and cancelled as a matter of principle. Hoping your Tesla experience goes a bit better than mine!
Hey @AndyFov - are you thinking of getting one from elsewhere?

As somebody else who cancelled and who was following your story along with the others, I completely identify with your frustrations and I'm sorry to hear nothing ever arrived, but I will say I am absolutely delighted with my car. I know I've said stuff previously in this thread, but buying from a used dealership really worked out for me. I got a 3rd party 3 year warranty (which I know may not be worth the paper it's written on) for a few hundred quid and although I didn't get Enhanced Autopilot, I realise now having had the car for a while why most folks see it as a gimmick. The only thing that both appeals, and would terrify me simultaneously based on some of the Autopilot weirdness, is the lane change capability, nothing else would add much value I don't think.

Anyway, just keen to hear, as I do feel our instincts are spot on with choosing these vehicles, just that Tesla seem determined to maintain a 1* Trustpilot rating through reverse psychology incentive schemes for their staff!

just recieved my car.. where do I start.. car is not what I expected of a car with 13k on the clock! Previous owner did not look after it at all.. feels like a car that’s done 50k miles!

Now gonna make difficult decision of possibly sending the car back as it’s not good enough after waiting nearly 3 months for this!
Hey @mkislam - Sorry to hear those issues. That b-pillar/window alignment is crazy! Also, you have to wonder what they did to wear out the car that quickly. Mine was 60K, but the interior is what I would expect from a 10K car, there's no wear anywhere, just a few light surface scratches on the centre console. I'm really sorry - it really feels like a roulette wheel as to what you end up with. I'd be livid with those pillar and window alignments!

But ... your dealer-purchase allowed you to Touch and Feel the actual car :) Hobsons/Musk-Choice not quite the same ...
Absolutely agreed - it was more a question of if mine could be driven for 60K and look great, what the heck did @mkislam's previous owner do to trash the steering wheel like that in 13K miles? Drive with sandpaper gloves on!? I wouldn't even have considered that kind of wear on such a low mileage car. :eek:

Ah man, really sorry to hear about your issues @AndyFov @mkislam, really feel for you guys. Honestly, I feel like there has to be some sort of lawsuit here, how on earth can Tesla think this is acceptable practice?

Regarding the road tax question earlier. You can actually go to the gov website to tax the vehicle (Tax your vehicle) and select no on the v11 reminder, enter your reg and the document number from the v5 and it will tell you if it's already taxed. Mine was taxed by Tesla, until 1st May 2024.

Reactions: AndyFov
just recieved my car.. where do I start.. car is not what I expected of a car with 13k on the clock! Previous owner did not look after it at all.. feels like a car that’s done 50k miles! Steering wheel is worn down quite a bit.. when I spoke to Tesla they kept mentioning the work that is being done needs to be Tesla standard before they can release the car.. and I can tell you it’s low as I don’t think they checked the car.. b pillar looks way off will try attach some pics.. on the passenger side alignment is not same as the drivers side.. spoiler fitting looks like someone did it at home.. misaligned.. and I know it’s minor but all the wheels having missing caps.. minor will sort that out.. car is dirty inside and will need a proper detailing job to make it acceptable let alone nice!

Driver was in a rush as he had another job and he nearly damaged the car taking it off the trailer as apparently was too long for his trailer.. jokes.

Handover was shambles while I was looking over the car.. guy signed it off himself and then rushed off.. I just about managed to get the keys off him!

Now gonna make difficult decision of possibly sending the car back as it’s not good enough after waiting nearly 3 months for this!
That alignment is shocking, but it can be fixed by adjusting the windows to make them consistent gaps on both sides.

Can't speak to the other issues, wear, etc because I don't know the mileage or how much you paid, etc. Can see it's a pre-2021 car so 13k is impressively low mileage.

Road tax.. i got email confirmation that they manage that side before they give me the car.. so i was able to carry on driving although the gov site was not showing the updated details.. took 3-4 days before it got reflected correctly.

I have booked the issue into the service center for the work outstanding and so far they have been super responsive in comparison to the whole sales experience!

Hey @AndyFov - are you thinking of getting one from elsewhere?

Now that I've thrown in the towel, it's hard to find the value I had... A car with warranty and EAP in red for £23,400 - it's going to take a while to find another one of those.

It doesn't really matter, because the frustration experienced in this process has dampened the yearning to opt in, and I've actually come to realise that we're actually managing fine as a one car household. The Tesla was a toy I didn't really need if truth be told, so whilst it remains an unscratched itch to some extent, I'm not in a massive hurry to slap a deposit on another.

I’m out…cancelled, but there’s a plot twist!!

With the massive discounts on new available cars, I have ‘swapped’ to getting a business lease and secured a brand new m3p available to collect from today. Costing me not much more than the 3 year old one per month.

Called Tesla and spoke to an actual person, who has agreed to refund my used car order, given I did the new car order whilst on the phone with him. Decent enough customer service assuming it happens lol