Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - as I sit here in the frustrating waiting room for my Model 3, supposedly being delivered between 7-20 August :confused: (nae chance!) I got an email reminder from my current power provider that my fixed rate tariff is ending in September. I currently have a dual fuel tariff with EDF arranged via MSE Cheap Energy Club. I’ve switched providers regularly via this route over recent years.

Good timing now to explore alternatives that are better suited to a house with a Tesla Model 3 that will be charged via an Andersen home charging unit. Mostly overnight I assume although I suppose that daytime charging will occur on occasions too.

Any tips/guidance on providers to explore, providers to avoid etc? Thanks.
I have been using Octopus for about a year- its great and the 4 hour tariff at night means you can load up 25Kw for £1.25 pretty cheap for about 100-110 miles on the model 3 the same would cost me about £20- £22 in my ICE car which is going ASAP

Reactions: Roy W.
As ever with electricity (and gas if thinking dual fuel), one needs to think about the whole costs, not just the cheapest EV charging. I was thinking I could save maybe £340 by taking Octopus Go, (£170 at 5p as opposed to £510 at 15p), but I use other electricity, and a lot of gas, and a back of envelope calculation suggests that higher prices for those would swallow up the savings, pretty much. I have decided to stick with Pure Planet dual fuel for the moment, and look at my EV consumption for a few months.

Blimey, I'm with Pure Planet too but my rate is 13.13p/kWh. Amazing how it varies by region.

Hi Fella,
Any chance you can send us a link to these tarrifs.
The only ones I can find are around 8p.
Cheers. S.

Finally got onto my EDF login but as I suspected the link to the 'change tariff' rates just sends you to the login page. However, here's a link to the main 'get a quote' tariff information page. You have to enter your postcode and requirements and then click on the appropriate tabs. It's not immediately obvious where to click, but with a minus sign in a red box next to 'Current tariffs available direct from EDF Energy', click on the type of payment tab below and all the available rates are there/

Tariff Information Label (TIL) | EDF Energy

Looking at the above link to EDF tariffs has brought up the More Together tariff
Day rate - 21.84p per kWh Night rate - 3.57p per kWh
That's an incredibly low night rate, and no early exit fee! Think I might switch to that.
That is a very expensive day rate. If you don’t use hardly any electric during the day then go for it, otherwise be cautious as I imagine you could easily end up paying more to sacrifice the cheap day rate.

I know this isn't an electrical forum but it turns out that nPower decommissioned and removed the meter (non-smart) I had in the outbuildings. The CU out there was wired to the rest of the house by another electrician.

To reinstate this electrical connection would I have to speak to nPower again, or can I get anyone (e.g. Octopus) to do the work? I'm pretty sure nPower's smart meter is not compatible with Octopus anyway? (not SMETS2?)

That is a very expensive day rate. If you don’t use hardly any electric during the day then go for it, otherwise be cautious as I imagine you could easily end up paying more to sacrifice the cheap day rate.

That's absolutely correct. As I said earlier, with an electric car my night rate usage has been 3 times peak rate, which makes it the best deal for me. Now with a Powerwall 2 as well and expecting to use very little peak rate, it's even better. For me it doesn't matter how high the peak rate is, I need the lowest possible night rate. If your split is only say 50/50 those rates are probably not the best deal. It's entirely user specific, what's best for one person may be very bad for someone else. You need to do the arithmetic.

Reactions: gangzoom and Roy W.
Looking at the above link to EDF tariffs has brought up the More Together tariff
Day rate - 21.84p per kWh Night rate - 3.57p per kWh
That's an incredibly low night rate, and no early exit fee! Think I might switch to that.

I just had an online chat to EDF and it turns out that the More Together tariff is only available to EDF employees! Damn, thought I'd found a good one. Still, for my circumstances, the available low off-peak rate EDF tariffs are still good value.

Looks like my link to
Tariff Information Label (TIL) | EDF Energy
doesn't tell the full story, but still useful. However, I think the rates shown by the USwitch or similar sites are probably the best to look at.