Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“If you would like to join us and use one of our smart tariffs, we would need to utilise a secure branded smart meter, as these are the only meter types that we can read remotely..

That does not sound right and contradicts a call I had with Octopus a few years back regarding waiting for SMETS2.

It seems they are contradicting themselves with the two replies they’ve sent you. The second email implies that SMETS2 has nothing to do with it.

I wonder if you just got a reply from an agent who is not familiar with their SMETS2 compatibility?

I agree. My understanding from a number of knowledgeable sources are that SMETS1 the only interchange that could be accommodated we from same make model meters (Octopus specifically said that they were the same as iirc OVO so they could be interchanged). However with SMETS2, its all standardised so no interchange issue. I have also heard, from one knowledgeable source, that SMETS1 meters could actually be made to work across vendors now irrespective of make/model, but I may have misunderstood.

If you specifically want Octopus, give them a call and ask so speak to someone specifically about smart metering compatibility. I've been with them for quite a few years now and they have always been great on the phone.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Just compared our current Bulb tarrif with Octopus. We're a high energy user (many children!), so looking at our last bill we use around 27 Kw per day (without the Tesla).

Octopus is slightly more expensive that Bulb for peak rates and standing charge, but assuming we charge the car for more than 4Kw per day, we'll save money. The chart below takes into account the fact that only four hours of off peak are available, assuming 7kw/h that caps out at 28.

Feel free to correct any mathematical or electrical misunderstanding!

• Informative
so looking at our last bill we use around 27 kWh per day (without the Tesla).

That is huge... Curious, what else do you have running?

I just look at one of our very high days, weekend, visitors, loads of cleaning, cooking on oven/induction, dishwasher, no solar of any note, and just under half that and that is an exceptional day. Normally in winter we are under or around 10kWh, difficult to tell in summer as our hot water is electric but offset by solar. We have gas heating throughout.

With regard to Octopus Energy, I would suggest not moving to them if you do not already have a compatible smart meter fitted.

Their other tariffs are not particularly competitive and you will be paying those uncompetitive prices until they can install a smart meter, but they seem entirely unable to give any information about just when that will be possible...

I've moved and am currently caught in that trap, so don't make the same mistake that I did...

Feels a lot like 'bait & switch' right now, attract people with the Go tariff but then don't put you on it, and don't give you any date when they can...

• Informative
With regard to Octopus Energy, I would suggest not moving to them if you do not already have a compatible smart meter fitted.

Their other tariffs are not particularly competitive and you will be paying those uncompetitive prices until they can install a smart meter, but they seem entirely unable to give any information about just when that will be possible...

I've moved and am currently caught in that trap, so don't make the same mistake that I did...

Feels a lot like 'bait & switch' right now, attract people with the Go tariff but then don't put you on it, and don't give you any date when they can...
That is interesting, I emailed them and was told "the wait time is approximately 16 days once you come on supply", however I have seen a lot of people in the same case as you. But the other tariff has no penalties for leaving so if you want to, you can always move again.

I just look at one of our very high days, weekend, visitors, loads of cleaning, cooking on oven/induction, dishwasher, no solar of any note, and just under half that and that is an exceptional day. Normally in winter we are under or around 10kWh, difficult to tell in summer as our hot water is electric but offset by solar. We have gas heating throughout.
I work from home most days of the year with numerous PCs, laptops and monitors, have a big fish tank and use ~8000kWh/year which averages out to 22kWh/day (without charging a car). I suspect the fish tank uses a lot on the heaters in winter. Gas heating, shower and cooker.

That is interesting, I emailed them and was told "the wait time is approximately 16 days once you come on supply", however I have seen a lot of people in the same case as you. But the other tariff has no penalties for leaving so if you want to, you can always move again.

My move completed over 3 weeks ago with nothing other than a message right after I moved saying "We're just preparing your smart meter installation, and we'll be in touch soon to arrange an installation date that suits you.".

So I emailed and the reply was: "We apologize for the delay in getting a smart meter installed in your property. We are having issues installing the new generation of smart meters and so we are tackling this problem by installing area by area. We do rely on a third party distributor for installation. You will be contacted when smart meters are being installed in your area but it is difficult to give you an exact date for this."

So, as I said, if you don't have one already I'd suggest not moving to them unless you are happy with remaining on their 'interim tariff' for an indeterminate period of time...

... and yes I can leave without penalty, but it is very disingenuous of them to attract people in the first place with offers of a product that they cannot in fact actually deliver...

My move completed over 3 weeks ago with nothing other than a message right after I moved saying "We're just preparing your smart meter installation, and we'll be in touch soon to arrange an installation date that suits you.".

So I emailed and the reply was: "We apologize for the delay in getting a smart meter installed in your property. We are having issues installing the new generation of smart meters and so we are tackling this problem by installing area by area. We do rely on a third party distributor for installation. You will be contacted when smart meters are being installed in your area but it is difficult to give you an exact date for this."

So, as I said, if you don't have one already I'd suggest not moving to them unless you are happy with remaining on their 'interim tariff' for an indeterminate period of time...

... and yes I can leave without penalty, but it is very disingenuous of them to attract people in the first place with offers of a product that they cannot in fact actually deliver...
Yep especially as they told me 16 days.. my current tariff ends in December, and I have exit fees, so I will have a look again nearer the time to see where they are, and what else is around.

Four electricity hog kids.......drives me mad. But seriously, we have a hot tub, a very large fridge freezer, a very big oven that's reliant on electricity (no gas where I live), washing machine that runs twice a day......the list goes on.....the house at 'idle' runs at 0.2kw per hour - that's in the middle of the night with nothing at all running.

My supplier move will complete this Friday and I'll be requesting a move to Go and a replacement meter on Friday. I wonder if I'll get a new meter or a car first :rolleyes:

My supplier move will complete this Friday and I'll be requesting a move to Go and a replacement meter on Friday. I wonder if I'll get a new meter or a car first :rolleyes:

I hope you like the interim tariff then :)

Seriously though it seems to be a simple lottery.

Even assuming they are being minimally honest there must be some area of the UK where they are currently installing meters, just have to hope you are in it.

I would strongly suggest that you don't wait in hope though, email them the moment you have transferred and ask when they anticipate installing meters in your area.

I hope you like the interim tariff then :)

Seriously though it seems to be a simple lottery.

Even assuming they are being minimally honest there must be some area of the UK where they are currently installing meters, just have to hope you are in it.

I would strongly suggest that you don't wait in hope though, email them the moment you have transferred and ask when they anticipate installing meters in your area.
Using my yearly average it will cost me ~£11.20 more to stay on the "interim" tariff for 1 year compared to the supplier I have moved from

I've been on the waiting list for a smart meter with bulb for since February.. Bulb are only installing SMETS2 in central and southern regions according to the last time I asked about this (few weeks ago). Some kind of incompatibility with the network in the north. Octopus are likely having the same trouble.

I've been on the waiting list for a smart meter with bulb for since February.. Bulb are only installing SMETS2 in central and southern regions according to the last time I asked about this (few weeks ago). Some kind of incompatibility with the network in the north. Octopus are likely having the same trouble.

Same - been waiting since Feb on the waiting list for Scotland - but they can't give me any details that are firm.

I probably just stay with them for now - await car arriving and see what happens after that.

I'm not exactly sure what to believe, I was with Bulb originally and we are in Hertfordshire which would meet the 'Central /Southern' definition but they were unable to get anything installed or even a hint of a time-line for an installation.

It feels like there aren't actually any installations at all and they just tell each of us that it is happening somewhere else...

I'm not exactly sure what to believe, I was with Bulb originally and we are in Hertfordshire which would meet the 'Central /Southern' definition but they were unable to get anything installed or even a hint of a time-line for an installation.

It feels like there aren't actually any installations at all and they just tell each of us that it is happening somewhere else...
I just had a smart meter installed by Bulb (Dorset area) last month, so they are happening! Mind you the in home display stopped displaying figures for electricity usage the very next day, which if you search online seems a very common problem that they haven’t fixed. Gas figures are fine, but unsurprisingly that wasn’t the main aim for me!

• Informative
Reactions: Mark_T and Roy W.
Just compared our current Bulb tarrif with Octopus. We're a high energy user (many children!), so looking at our last bill we use around 27 Kw per day (without the Tesla).

With that sort of usage, wouldn't the EDF Go Electric tariff suit you better?

The extended off-peak rate (9pm to 7am and all weekend) would seem to be a better deal?