Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDF still more expensive than Bulb until I get over 25kw per night on the car charge, and needs to rise to 57kw before it becomes cheaper than Octopus Go. Their standing charge and peak rates are much more expensive than the other two.

Octopus vs Bulb vs EDF.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
EDF still more expensive than Bulb until I get over 25kw per night on the car charge, and needs to rise to 57kw before it becomes cheaper than Octopus Go. Their standing charge and peak rates are much more expensive than the other two.

View attachment 444604
I think EDF really depends when you take into account other usage rather than just your car charging. I get home after 7pm most weekdays and in the winter have electric floor heating etc come on in the morning, so for me it may work out better when considering other usage. I also tend to put the dishwasher on over night and could also set the washing machine to do the same. If you use a lot of other off peak power then it may be good. I still need to work it out for me though.

I think EDF really depends when you take into account other usage rather than just your car charging. I get home after 7pm most weekdays and in the winter have electric floor heating etc come on in the morning, so for me it may work out better when considering other usage. I also tend to put the dishwasher on over night and could also set the washing machine to do the same. If you use a lot of other off peak power then it may be good. I still need to work it out for me though.

That's a very good point, we have heated bathroom floors too - I don't think we could offset our usage - kids eat before 7, Wife works from home so appliances are buzzing during the day too. The dishwasher we could certainly do that with, and the electric conservatory heater in the winter......I wonder can I model that :)

That's my thinking too. The EDF Go Electric tariff seems good in terms of off-peak electricity period (9pm-7am and all weekend). At 8p/kWH it makes sense to shift all dishwasher / washing machine / tumble dryer operation to those hours as well as car charging. The weekend off-peak is particularly good as these appliances tend to run constantly over weekends with a busy family. The trade-off is the higher standing charge and also higher gas tariffs than available elsewhere. As our house has it's central heating and hot water provided entirely by a gas boiler, I need to factor that into account too. Initial number crunching tells me that EDF or Octopus Go are still the two best options for our family usage when I add an EV into the equation although I need to factor in what % of other electricity usage I can shift to the EDF off-peak hours (I'm thinking 30-40%). This isn't as possible with Octopus Go and their more limited midnight to 4:30am off-peak period. Unless I can set timers on the appliances? Need to check that out.

Also - I went back to Octopus Go to query their email to me saying that the SMETS2 meter installed by EDF a couple of months ago was not compatible with their tariff. They initially told me it had to be a Secure branded meter. Well, they have now retracted that statement and told me that if you have a SMETS1 meter it has to be Secure branded, but any SMETS2 meter with the ability to send half-hourly readings, will work with the Octopus Go tariff.

• Informative

View attachment 444604
Presumably this graph is only indicative if you use the same/similar pattern 365 days of the year. 25kWh nightly charge equates to what, 100 mile per day usage, day in, day out? Thats not far of the full ~7.6kW* for 4 hours, ie Octopus 4 hour window at ~7.6kW* is around 30kWh* or less.
* supply voltage dependant

Presumably this graph is only indicative if you use the same/similar pattern 365 days of the year. 25kWh nightly charge equates to what, 100 mile per day usage, day in, day out? Thats not far of the full ~7.6kW* for 4 hours, ie Octopus 4 hour window at ~7.6kW* is around 30kWh* or less.
* supply voltage dependant

Spot on - that's right. And this is also based on our own average personal use per day during July - 27kW per day as a baseline without the Tesla charging.

You don't seem to be factoring in the full days on off-peak rate for Saturday and Sunday. and the 10 hours a day on off-peak Mon-Fri vs 7 on Bulb and only 4 hours a day Mon-Sun on Octopus...

Just looking at the car charge cost isn't giving you the whole picture.

You don't need to shift any of your current consumption, just look at what it would do to the average cost of your power as a starting point then monitor actual use for a couple of days during the week and a weekend or two and you have the data you need.

View attachment 444604
That’s very impressive! I tend to do this sort of calculation on the back of a napkin :D

Personally I’m not interested in EDF. I’ve been with them twice in the past, and both times their customer service has left a lot to be desired. I was trying to sort our a metering error with them and it literally took me months!

Personally I’m not interested in EDF. I’ve been with them twice in the past, and both times their customer service has left a lot to be desired. I was trying to sort our a metering error with them and it literally took me months!

I'm not sure that any of them are much use to be honest.

Bulb spent about 5 months failing to fix a faulty meter for me, and so far Octopus are great on the marketing and completely lacking on delivery / information/ planning of anything after that...

I'm not sure that any of them are much use to be honest.

Bulb spent about 5 months failing to fix a faulty meter for me, and so far Octopus are great on the marketing and completely lacking on delivery / information/ planning of anything after that...
I think you’re right.

So far, for me at least, Octopus have been great. Clear communication, and prompt response to any questions. My go live date with them is on Friday, the same day I get my Model 3, so perhaps the stars are aligned :)

You don't seem to be factoring in the full days on off-peak rate for Saturday and Sunday. and the 10 hours a day on off-peak Mon-Fri vs 7 on Bulb and only 4 hours a day Mon-Sun on Octopus...

Just looking at the car charge cost isn't giving you the whole picture.

You don't need to shift any of your current consumption, just look at what it would do to the average cost of your power as a starting point then monitor actual use for a couple of days during the week and a weekend or two and you have the data you need.

In number crunching for EDF tariff I've assumed that 100% of my EV charging will be done during the off-peak hours and 40% of my other electricity consumption will also be during off-peak rates. I based this on Sat/Sun accounting for 2/7 days current consumption, so 29% minimum (in reality the weekend probably accounts for a greater %) and shifting other usage during the week to between 9pm-7am. So I think 40% is a realistic estimate.

In number crunching for EDF tariff I've assumed that 100% of my EV charging will be done during the off-peak hours and 40% of my other electricity consumption will also be during off-peak rates.

Are you currently on Economy 7?

I only ask because it feels like your numbers are still underestimating your usage overnight, but as long as you are happy it is all good.

So far, for me at least, Octopus have been great. Clear communication, and prompt response to any questions. My go live date with them is on Friday, the same day I get my Model 3, so perhaps the stars are aligned :)

That side of things is good for all of them, the switch process is 100% automated and they have to do almost nothing to make it happen other than get your account set up and get your final meter readings.

It is what happens next that matters... :)

OK - couldn't help it. This chart considers constant usage levels each day, but applies the EDF tarrif to the weekends. So two days on off peak. Now a 'weekly' chart.....so bulb cheaper up to 4kW of daily car charge, then Octopus until 47Kw of daily car charge.

Playing with the appliances and heating could clearly tune this of the Octopus and EDF - the latter in particular. Hope this helps! :)

Octopus vs Bulb vs EDF Weekly.PNG

Just found this on Bulb's site Bulb - Making energy simpler, cheaper, greener - an interesting idea, and as I am already a customer, just requested to see if I can join in the test.....the peak rate is outrageous, and probably would make it non-economical for us at the moment. Will report back!
Mm, that’s interesting. Certainly the way of the future, I suspect we’ll all be on something like this within 10 years.

No good for me. The East Midlands night rate is 8.2p, which is about what I was paying with OVO. Standing charge not bad though.

Just found this on Bulb's site Bulb - Making energy simpler, cheaper, greener - an interesting idea, and as I am already a customer, just requested to see if I can join in the test.....the peak rate is outrageous, and probably would make it non-economical for us at the moment. Will report back!

I looked at that one as well, but it would require some fairly significant lifestyle changes to make it work. It would suit people with solar though and there are some possibilities with a powerwall as well.

Reactions: ME_UK