Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus do an 'agile' tariff that changes every half hour with the possiblity of prices turning negative (maybe once for half an hour a year by the looks of the data)...might be worth a look but for me the go tariff works out, the agile tariff only went below 5p per kWh for 46 half hour periods in a year so hardly a saving... whereas it went above 30p per kwh for 731 half hour segments so not going to be cheaper me feels then...plus only getting 4 hours a night at and 5p on the go tariff is more then sufficient and if I'm going away and need to fully "tank"I just plan ahead a day or 2...no problems.

Reactions: Roy W.
Received a reply to my follow-up email with Octopus..

"As I have said before, I am not able to give a time frame for when the smart meter will be installed as the engineers work under their own schedule.

The engineers will contact you when they are in your area.

Sorry we can't give more of a clear answer,"

So I'd have to say my original comment stands, if you don't already have a compatible Smart Meter I would not move to Octopus, unless you are happy with the interim tariff. The pre-sales information makes promises that the company can't deliver on once you are there.

They claim to have installation engineers of their own but appear to have zero control or knowledge of what they are doing, so all the marketing about arranging for a smart meter install soon after you transfer is undeliverable.

Last edited:
Octopus use to use (iirc) Lowri Beck for meter installation, at least for southern area. I am surprised that Octopus would have their own installers, however they have grown considerably since I last dealt with them regarding metering and grid connections so may have gone inhouse.

Octopus use to use (iirc) Lowri Beck for meter installation, at least for southern area. I am surprised that Octopus would have their own installers, however they have grown considerably since I last dealt with them regarding metering and grid connections so may have gone inhouse.

There may be some blurring of the lines between putting their branding on another companies staff and having their own staff, but they do claim to have Octopus branded teams (... or perhaps just one team?).

Either way they seem to have little knowledge of where the team is and where the team will be so I don’t suppose it matters either way ...

Last edited:
So I'm leaving Octopus and heading for British Gas. (British Gas – Energy Plus Protection Green Aug 2020v2)

Not something you hear very often I'm sure :)

Surprisingly, for my balance of usage BG, are cheaper than than the interim tariff that Octopus use, and since Octopus can't give me even a hint of a date on when their installation teams might be in 'my area' moving made the most sense.

I am hopeful that BG will be more prompt at sorting out the smart meter since they have a requirement on this tariff that you move to one within 3 months, but of course, who knows what will actually happen.

The gas side of things is cheaper than anyone I've seen and as we head into winter that is a bit of a bonus. They also throw in 12 months of their Central Heating Breakdown Cover & Plumbing & Drains Cover & Home Electrical Cover. I have a diary note to cancel all three before the 12 months are up of course. The tariff has a £60 exit charge (£30 each for electric & gas) but that doesn't bother me as if I do exit it will be because I've got the smart meter and I'll be heading for a tariff elsewhere that will deliver savings of at least that much within the first couple of months.

All just another roll of the dice of course, I'll report back on how it all turns out.

Reactions: Roy W.
Hi all,

New here, but i've been trying to work through the different options for energy.

I was looking around and it seems the EDF tariff is the best with its lower rate energy from 9-7. However I got an email from them today, and apparently they also offer a flat 11p per kwh flat tariff also. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, any recommendations?

All depends on your usage pattern.

11p flat rate would be appealing if you have a generally high day-time usage, but if there is little being consumed Mon-Fri because nobody is home during working hours then the 9pm - 7am M-F and all day weekends would probably be a better bet.

All depends on your usage pattern.

11p flat rate would be appealing if you have a generally high day-time usage, but if there is little being consumed Mon-Fri because nobody is home during working hours then the 9pm - 7am M-F and all day weekends would probably be a better bet.

I agree, they seem to have problems determining how to get onto the tarrif i'm finding.... They sent me an email saying my smart meter was an older generation... yet I don't have a smart meter etc.

They sent me an email saying my smart meter was an older generation... yet I don't have a smart meter etc.

If you don't currently have a smart meter you may find that getting one is the biggest impediment to getting onto any of the better tariffs, although a flat rate tariff shouldn't really need a new meter.

If you need one for that tariff I'd ask EDF what assurances they can give you that you'll be able to get one in a reasonable time period, or you could be stuck on a different tariff for a considerable period...

We had a Scottish & Southern Electricity smart meter installed about 2 years ago.....got 'Elster' written on as brand.

Two days ago I asked our current supplier (Bulb) to test the meter and see if we could switch to their new 'smart' tarrif which requires info sent back to them via the meter every 30 minutes.

Literally an hour later, the little display unit in the kitchen started showing new information, and within 24 hours we'd changed tariff.

So if you have one of these meters, the chances are a switch to Bulb/Octopus etc. is easy to do I think........

We had a Scottish & Southern Electricity smart meter installed about 2 years ago.....got 'Elster' written on as brand.

Two days ago I asked our current supplier (Bulb) to test the meter and see if we could switch to their new 'smart' tarrif which requires info sent back to them via the meter every 30 minutes.

Literally an hour later, the little display unit in the kitchen started showing new information, and within 24 hours we'd changed tariff.

So if you have one of these meters, the chances are a switch to Bulb/Octopus etc. is easy to do I think........

Looks like I probably need a smart meter then... Doh.

Switched to octopus went live last week, just had a call to arrange smart meter install at the start of September. So all in all pretty quick for me. I know some people have been saying it's location specific. Well for reference I am south coast near Pompey

Reactions: ME_UK
Switched to octopus went live last week, just had a call to arrange smart meter install at the start of September. So all in all pretty quick for me. I know some people have been saying it's location specific. Well for reference I am south coast near Pompey

Based on other reports they do seem to be down south at the moment.

Ah, that's the same as my box, great news. Thanks for the info.