Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just while we're talking 'charging' for those that didn't know already, if you're charge is set to run overnight, but you like to pre- heat/cool the car, then it does use the charge point rather than the battery (regardless of the time). Tested it this morning, and can clearly see the kWh rise on the meter :)

Yes indeed. I noticed this. Charged the car overnight, it was completed long before I experimented with the Pre-heat button on the mobile app the following morning. When I wandered out to take a look I could see that the green charging LED at the charge port was lit, suggesting that the car was indeed drawing power from the home charger rather than battery for the pre-heating. Or it was recharging the battery to compensate. Either way, all good.

Reactions: Roy W. and ME_UK
Just while we're talking 'charging' for those that didn't know already, if you're charge is set to run overnight, but you like to pre- heat/cool the car, then it does use the charge point rather than the battery (regardless of the time). Tested it this morning, and can clearly see the kWh rise on the meter :)
Wouldn't that be chargepoint and car specific?

It would also probably depend on whether its the car or the chargepoint (or both) that is deciding what hours to charge.

I moved to Octopus in July and my install is booked for 7th October.

The wait time is varibale though, it just depends which areas the team are working in ...

Finally got my SMETS2 electric and gas meters installed today. Been a long wait, about 3 1/2 months but Octopus got it sorted in the end. Seems to have been an industry wide problem with data transfer issues.

Reactions: Roy W.
I'm on my 4th appointment to get the install done. The engineer on the 1st attempt came all the way to the house (in the lake district) and refused to do the install on the grounds it was raining and I couldn't provide a temporary shelter outside for our outside elec meter. It's always raining here! Basically it was BS excuse to skip an appointment and every misses one since is just phoned 24 hrs in advance to say they aren't in the area. Cowboy operation and userstand octopus disclaimer in advance that service is crap.

Finally got my SMETS2 electric and gas meters installed today. Been a long wait, about 3 1/2 months but Octopus got it sorted in the end. Seems to have been an industry wide problem with data transfer issues.

Glad you got it sorted.

In general the numbers for the whole UK are looking better each month. The stats for August showed that the split between SMETS1 & SMETS 2 installs was 20% / 80%, so the 2nd generation meters really are getting installed most often these days.

On the flip-side though, 20% still installing SMETS1 is too high at this stage of the rollout so hopefully that continues to improve.

What a nightmare! There’s no excuse for your two missed appointments. Was it an Octopus fitter or one of the contractors?

The whole SMETS1 and SMETS2 thing is a confusing mess. At least your (and my) SMETS1 meters should be upgraded to allow compatibility with other providers.
I hope you get your gas meter sorted out soon.

A quick update from my last post. It has been a complete shambles from Octopus Energy. Three weeks after having type electric smart meter fitted it still had not been activated, plus no response to emails about the subject or about the gas smart meter fitting. Yesterday I just had enough of all the crap so posted a review on Trustpilot, contacted all the managers I could...thankfully that did the trick. I was called by someone who sorted out the activation of the electric smart meter, gave me a date for the gas smart meter and refunded me for the two missed appointments (£40 credit).

It’s really a shame their customer support lets things get so out of hand. As I told the person on the phone..any communication would have been enough to keep me happy.

Hopefully nobody else is treated as I have been in this process

Glad you are mostly sorted now.

My appointment was for Monday this week and the installer did arrive on time, but only had a work order for the electric, not the gas.

Not really all that bothered about the gas, but it will need to be done another day.

SMETS2 fitted and working by midday Monday, but it took until Wednesday evening for the status to update to 'fitted' on Octopus.

Currently waiting for status to change again to confirm receipt of the 30 min readings so I can go live on 'Go'.

Pre-heating/conditioning.

I only discovered this week that if you heat the car for say 15 minutes before leaving in the morning that it doesn't use the battery if the car is hooked up to the charge point. The app for my SMETS1 monitor gadget (Glowlight USB-powered device that links to your home Wi-Fi along with a rather good app called Bright) shows that up to 7kW (basically the max power deliverable) can be drawn during pre-heating.

On the one hand, this is good because you won't get unwanted range reduction on the battery but on the other hand I may have to modify my electricity usage calculation for the colder months as 15 minutes of 7kW (at peak rate) each day does add up (for me that's 1.75kWh at 14.12p/kWh, so 25p a day). Fortunately, my wife only works 3 days a week so that's only 75p a week, or, say, £50 a year.

Then again the car's battery is warmed to an extent so her commute drive will be a bit more efficient - I'll have to check the Teslafi stats.

I am wondering if I should disconnect the car before pre-warming because my wife's commute is only 15 miles each way so there is no chance of range problems when it has 200 typical miles each morning. 2kWh will reduce that by 6-7 miles only and will be replaced by 5p electricity instead of 14p. It's all splitting hairs really :D

Octopus and smart meters:

I also had some teething issues with Octopus and smart meters, but it was all fixed in the end. In my region they rely on a third party company for meter fitting and I found their work to be fine. The difficulty was in getting the meter to communicate with the Octopus system. It did take a few polite emails (responses from Octopus were always courteous and concerned) and now everything is running smoothly, both for gas and electricity metering. I have to say I have found Octopus to be the best in terms of communications compared to all the previous power companies we've been signed up to.

A quick update from my last post. It has been a complete shambles from Octopus Energy. Three weeks after having type electric smart meter fitted it still had not been activated, plus no response to emails about the subject or about the gas smart meter fitting. Yesterday I just had enough of all the crap so posted a review on Trustpilot, contacted all the managers I could...thankfully that did the trick. I was called by someone who sorted out the activation of the electric smart meter, gave me a date for the gas smart meter and refunded me for the two missed appointments (£40 credit).

It’s really a shame their customer support lets things get so out of hand. As I told the person on the phone..any communication would have been enough to keep me happy.

Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're finally getting there, but you shouldn't need to go to such lengths to get things sorted.

In my view the whole energy sector suffers from very poor customer service, and it looks like Octopus can be included there as well.

I'd like to think you've just been unlucky, certainly my own experience with them has been fine, but I know that doesn't help you!

The smart meter fiasco is just that, and all the smaller energy companies seem to be at the mercy of these cowboys who are contracted to fit the smart meters. It's certainly no way to run a business.

Hopefully once you're fully up and runnning everything will be fine - at least until the next time you move suppliers :D

Glad you are mostly sorted now.

My appointment was for Monday this week and the installer did arrive on time, but only had a work order for the electric, not the gas.

Not really all that bothered about the gas, but it will need to be done another day.

SMETS2 fitted and working by midday Monday, but it took until Wednesday evening for the status to update to 'fitted' on Octopus.

Currently waiting for status to change again to confirm receipt of the 30 min readings so I can go live on 'Go'.
Yes, the electricity metering is the priority for the GO tariff and for me they installed that first, returning later to do the gas. Basically the electric meter took a long time to fit because the first choice SMETS2 meter didn't work at all so that had to be removed and a SMETS2 installed. He ran out of time to do the gas meter. The gas meter communicates via the electric meter too.

I did need to chase them up when the gas meter didn't produce any readings. Then I was only being sent statements for gas and eventually I learned that I was only being charged for the gas :D - they simply waived the unbilled electricity for about a month once the billing was eventually sorted. On top of that I've done three referrals and used another TMC member's referral myself, so I'm about £280 up! That's the bulk of the electric cost for running the car for its first year.

Even better, I'm more and more confident that my calculations for energy cost per month with Octopus, now I have some data to work with after 5 months owning our MS70D, are possibly as much as £15 a month too high :D

Pre-heating/conditioning.

On the one hand, this is good because you won't get unwanted range reduction on the battery but on the other hand I may have to modify my electricity usage calculation for the colder months as 15 minutes of 7kW (at peak rate) each day does add up (for me that's 1.75kWh at 14.12p/kWh, so 25p a day). Fortunately, my wife only works 3 days a week so that's only 75p a week, or, say, £50 a year.

Well, at first I thought this was written tongue in cheek so read this out to my wife and we both hooted with mirth! Seemed like you were baulking at 25p for your wife to be able to leave for work in a nice warm car! (I know that's not really your point, and of course you are quite right that your annual costs calculation needed tweaking but it does make me smile when you consider how much the car cost in the first place!)

Well, at first I thought this was written tongue in cheek so read this out to my wife and we both hooted with mirth! Seemed like you were baulking at 25p for your wife to be able to leave for work in a nice warm car! (I know that's not really your point, and of course you are quite right that your annual costs calculation needed tweaking but it does make me smile when you consider how much the car cost in the first place!)
Haha! I would not deny my lovely wife a toasty cabin and mist-free windows (I'm currently having to wipe down the rear window from the outside though), not to forget a warm backside for both her and her colleague she gives a lift to :D It's also HER car she paid for after inherting some money (and I work at home).

But isn't it interesting - every penny seems to count owning a Tesla. Before, I never really thought about pouring £70 worth of refined liquefied dinosaurs into the car. We aren't particularly well off so the Tesla was a mega big purchase for us. But I have also calculated that ignoring the capital being tied-up, annual total running costs are hardly more than for running our old 10 year old family hatch - including depreciation if our 70D can return 65% of its purchase value in 3 years - now that's a different debate and I may be a bit over-optimistic on that front.

Re EDF GO Electric Tariff

I had an email from them yesterday.

There is a major problem with the British Summer Time & Greenwich Mean Time.

The advertised start time of the Economy 10 Tariff is 21:00 til 07:00.
However this is always Greenwich Mean Time and never changes during British Summer time.

As a result of this, at the moment, anyone charging at 21:00 will be paying the full rate until 22:00.
This will be corrected when the clocks go back and change again in Spring.

They have acknowledged the problem and credited my account by £40.

They have also raised an issue that the smart meters don't switch tariff at exactly the 21:00 time. This can be delayed by as much as 10 minutes.
In short anyone on this tariff needs to re-schedule charging to after 22:10. I have set mine to 22:30.

I don't know if this smart meter issue also affects other suppliers.

However this is always Greenwich Mean Time and never changes during British Summer time.

As a result of this, at the moment, anyone charging at 21:00 will be paying the full rate until 22:00.

They have also raised an issue that the smart meters don't switch tariff at exactly the 21:00 time. This can be delayed by as much as 10 minutes.
In short anyone on this tariff needs to re-schedule charging to after 22:10. I have set mine to 22:30.

That was certainly the case with my previous supplier, OVO. But I could see the tariff times on my inside display, and that was correct.

That was certainly the case with my previous supplier, OVO. But I could see the tariff times on my inside display, and that was correct.

Thanks Roy.
Nice meeting you at "Manchester South" at the handover.

I think there is also a problem with the portable display.
The display shows the tariff switching at 21:00 exactly. However EDF say it doesn't actually switch over until sometime after 22:00.

Message their CEO [email protected] -he’s really good and active on Twitter too. Sorted a few issues for me out.

Bulb are the same - the overnight rates are in GMT if you have a certain meter i.e. (bottom of the page) What are my off-peak hours for Economy 7?

British Summer Time
If your E7 meter is CLOCK: the internal clock will not change with British Summer Time. So remember to add 1 hour during the summer, and change it when the clocks go back.

• Informative
Reactions: vitesse
Is the trade off between cold battery start and cost savings worth it? Wondering about others opinions.....

Cold battery start (i.e. in Winter) will sap some range, so on days that Range matters it is worth pre-conditioning the car on shore-power before setting off. At this time of the year charging just before departure may give you full regen, but in the depths of Winter I have reduced regen on departure every morning, even if the car has just been charging and pre-conditioning etc.

What if the charge rate drops off/stops?
You don’t have enough charge or it starts charging early to ensure it can still achieve the required charge as minimal charge rate ?

I’m sure there will be mix of answers to this.

Those are my concerns too.

I use a complex scheduler to work around this, and that aint for everyone of course, but it caused me to give some thought to the problem and what various different people might want to achieve.

Set car to start at Off Peak start. Even if no internet signal it will still do that (and based on GPS as to where I am). If I come home "somewhat late" it will still start. So to my mind that beats a Scheduler that would send a message to the car to start charging at the Start time.

A Wall Charger that supports Start Time will also work (provided the car is not, also, set with a [different] scheduled start time for that location)

It really doesn't seem unreasonable to ask for a stop time as well as a start time

Well ... I have some thoughts on that :)

Scheduled stop time. Two ways of doing that: "Stop at XX:XX" and "Start at best time to get XX% at XX:XX" the later to ensure that battery is warm (on Winter days). Personally I think that is fraught - for the points made earlier about power cuts, temperature drop, and add to that the days when you exceptionally need to charge to 100% and it is going to take more than the allocated Off Peak hours and then the charger / schedule stops the charge because it gets to the end of off peak (and owner has not overridden it)

Trying to avoid these issues occasionally puts me in the position where I don't have the charge I want. It would cost me a £tenner or two each year to charge into On Peak period, on the very few nights in the year when Off Peak is not long enough, and if I did that [instead of stop-at-end-of-Off-Peak] then I wouldn't catch myself out on the days when I do need a mega-charge overnight.

My (complex) solution is to drop the Limit to 80% at start of Off Peak period (only if at Home and Plugged in), and then to raise the Limit to 90% an hour before normal departure and start charging again (if it had stopped). That gets me an hours charging shortly before departure to warm battery (in winter). That very rarely brings the battery heater on, and if it does then "not for the whole hour", but I think it does make some difference to the amount of time that Regen is reduced (on cold winter mornings).

For my daily use 80% would be fine (assuming that the 90% extra bit didn't happen for some reason)

I have an additional option to change the Limit to 100% an appropriate interval before departure

I'm probably being a bit simple but if you need timed charging then why not buy an charger that actually lets you do that?

That will presumably? prevent conditioning the car before departure on Shore-power, if that is outside the Off Peak hours? Also have to do some extra fiddling if come home on low SOC and want to charge before Off Peak (personally i always do that if arriving below 20% to not leave the battery in low SOC for prolonged period, but I can do that conveniently in the car by just overriding Scheduled Charge with Charge Now on the dashboard)

Reactions: ME_UK
Well ... I have some thoughts on that :)

Scheduled stop time. Two ways of doing that: "Stop at XX:XX" and "Start at best time to get XX% at XX:XX" the later to ensure that battery is warm (on Winter days)...

All much more complex than I'm asking for, just a simple stop charging at xx:xx if still charging at that time.

More sophisticated ways of achieving a particular SoC at a particular time are always welcome, but just a very simple way to avoid charging outside of the night rate would do nicely for now.