Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is due to happen tomorrow afternoon (got my dates wrong in my original post), do you know if it was a SMETS2 meter?
I haven't a clue which type it is, not sure how to tell!

How long did you guys have to wait for the meter?
I originally had an appointment that got canceled for about.3 weeks after I moved to them, ended up being 6 weeks (not to much issue was I pick car up today!

Reactions: TezzyMod3
How long did you guys have to wait for the meter?

It’s been about 2 months now since I switched, good job I did it way in advance of a) getting the Tesla and b) getting solar. This afternoon is the second appointment.

I haven't a clue which type it is, not sure how to tell!

I originally had an appointment that got canceled for about.3 weeks after I moved to them, ended up being 6 weeks (not to much issue was I pick car up today!

I don’t think it’s that’s important, just the SMETS ones are not tied in to a particular provider. Good luck with the car!

Reactions: TezzyMod3 and Epico
I had a strange charging quirk last night.

For the four and a half weeks I’ve had the car it has always charged reliably at 32A on my TWC.

It was on scheduled charge last night starting at 0030, and at about 0300 I got up to go to the loo. For some unknown reason I decided to look at the Tesla app on my phone, only to find the car was only charging at 16A.

I stopped the charge in the app, then restarted it, and it immediately ramped up to 32A and stayed there! The only difference to any previous charging sessions is that the car started charging from a low battery state - there was 37 miles left, so about 12%.

Has anyone else seen this? A software bug perhaps?
Right, a further update.

Somehow my car seems to be stuck on a max charge rate of 16A. The + button is greyed out.

If I plug my wall connector in, it starts charging at 16A. After it starts the + button is available, and I can ramp up the Amps to 32. Unplug and replug, and it’s back to 16A!

This means my scheduled charging is now always starting at 16A. Manually stopping and restarting the charge with the app brings the charge rate back up to 32A.

I’m mystified! Any ideas?

When ever I get 16 amps its usually due to the charge plug not being inserted correctly. Even though it feels like it is it will usually mean a reduced charge.
Yes, thanks. I had thought about that, I think it was your thread I’d been reading.

It’s not the connector though - the car is displaying 16A max all the time. Also if you stop the charge with the app, not touching the connector, then restart it, it ramps up to 32A straight away. Strange...

So this afternoon was the second scheduling of my smart meter installation, took the afternoon of work and got back around 12:30...waited and waited until it got to 4pm still no sign of anyone..fuming at this time as you can imagine so (knowing octopus tend not to reply to emails) rang them up to see wtf was going on. Talked to someone who said he would check with the install team and ring me back in 5 minutes.

Half an hour later he called me to say...yet again there had been a mistake with the booking! But as it was my second time he had arranged an emergency installer to come round before 8pm. Thankfully the installer turned up at around 7pm...first problem was he said he had only been asked to fit the smart meter for my electric supply..ffs what are octopus playing at..so my gas would have to be done at a later date (more contact needed with )

Before the install I asked him if it was a SMETS2 meter, he said they were not allowed to fit them for octopus energy customers and even showed me an email from his boss where it said in CAPITAL letters to not fit them for Octopus customers...to make it worse he had loads in his van! Anyway he fitted the SMETS1 meter so that part of this headache is out the way...now I need to get onto them about the Gas.

Must say this has so far been the worst experience of any energy provider I have been with..if it was not for the Smart GO tariff I would have bailed out by now.

Before the install I asked him if it was a SMETS2 meter, he said they were not allowed to fit them for octopus energy customers and even showed me an email from his boss where it said in CAPITAL letters to not fit them for Octopus customers...to make it worse he had loads in his van! Anyway he fitted the SMETS1 meter so that part of this headache is out the way...now I need to get onto them about the Gas.

There were specific issues with SMETS2 in the north originally but they were supposed to have been solved by now, but perhaps not... ?

Clearly Octopus customers in general are getting SMETS2 fitted, at least they are down south ...

So this afternoon was the second scheduling of my smart meter installation, took the afternoon of work and got back around 12:30...waited and waited until it got to 4pm still no sign of anyone..fuming at this time as you can imagine so (knowing octopus tend not to reply to emails) rang them up to see wtf was going on. Talked to someone who said he would check with the install team and ring me back in 5 minutes.

Half an hour later he called me to say...yet again there had been a mistake with the booking! But as it was my second time he had arranged an emergency installer to come round before 8pm. Thankfully the installer turned up at around 7pm...first problem was he said he had only been asked to fit the smart meter for my electric supply..ffs what are octopus playing at..so my gas would have to be done at a later date (more contact needed with )

Must say this has so far been the worst experience of any energy provider I have been with..if it was not for the Smart GO tariff I would have bailed out by now.
What a nightmare! There’s no excuse for your two missed appointments. Was it an Octopus fitter or one of the contractors?

The whole SMETS1 and SMETS2 thing is a confusing mess. At least your (and my) SMETS1 meters should be upgraded to allow compatibility with other providers.
I hope you get your gas meter sorted out soon.

• Love
Reactions: im85288
first problem was he said he had only been asked to fit the smart meter for my electric supply..ffs what are octopus playing at..so my gas would have to be done at a later date (more contact needed with )

I was told they had no gas meters in stock on Tuesday when they fitted the electricity meter

Reactions: Roy W.
So I had my install of the smart meter on Wednesday and my switch to the go tariff is now scheduled for tonight...so once it's in it's a pretty quick process by the looks...I have no idea if it's a smets 1 or 2 and no idea how to find out...good timing for me as car was collected yesterday..

Reactions: Roy W.
Regarding SMETS 1 and SMETS 2 meters.

I was under the impression that it was no longer legal to install a SMETS 1 meter.

I had a few problems with Octopus even though I had had a SMETS 2 meter installed by EDF in June of this year which they had confirmed was compatible with their needs. It still took a couple of weeks nearly for 'Go' tariff to be up and running. I've checked as I write this and all seems to be good with my electricity smart meter readings but no information is available for Gas.

Regarding SMETS 1 and SMETS 2 meters.

I was under the impression that it was no longer legal to install a SMETS 1 meter.

I had a few problems with Octopus even though I had had a SMETS 2 meter installed by EDF in June of this year which they had confirmed was compatible with their needs. It still took a couple of weeks nearly for 'Go' tariff to be up and running. I've checked as I write this and all seems to be good with my electricity smart meter readings but no information is available for Gas.
They all have SMETS1 meters in stock so they will fit them for as long as they can get away with it.